GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,977 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Renaissance Wars» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few rule clarification questions after a quick playthrough rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Miller
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has been in KS backer hands for a week or so by now so I'm surprised that there hasn't been much BGG activity. I hope to see some reviews coming soon.

The components are very, very well done, and the box artwork and engineering (i.e. how it opens) is as good as it gets. The cards are high quality as is the game board itself.

I did a quick playthrough the other day and had just a few quick clarification questions:

1) Dominant Condition Status: If someone changes the dominant condition by sacrificing a Luminary (or using the Immediate Intrusion Unstable Times card), I assume the condition would change again if right after that round, a player reached the Era Demarcation level.

2) Breaking/Rebuilding a Meld: If I have a Cavalcade of Kings meld (4 different Kings - politics, culture, religion, economic) and someone has the ability to dissolve the meld by replacing one of my Kings with an Unwanted, can I rebuild that meld with the Seeds of Enlightenment King and collect the Florins? I read the rules as though I can't, correct? I also understand it that once you've collected your Florins for a meld, that money is safe even if someone breaks the meld.

3) Seduction Personal Action: It says to pick two cards from an opponent's hand and replace with two cards from your hand. Do I pick the two cards using a blind draw or do I look at his hand and choose?

4) Arquebus Personal Action: If I play a 10 dominant condition card and my opponent plays a 15 dominant condition card to win the skirmish, I could immediately use the Arquebus to kill that 15 and replace it with an Unwanted, thereby winning the skirmish, correct? The downside to this, however, is that the Unwanted card with a potential negative 10 value now comes into my captured cards pile, so in this example it would be a net zero.

5) Immediate Intrusion cards that force a hand Re-Shuffle: I believe there are five Immediate Intrustion cards (Merde, Holy Merde, Detente, Renaissanase Wars, Casualties of War) where it says to pick up your melded cards and hand cards and shuffle them. Once this happens and the newly shuffled decks (or portions of these decks) are passed to other players (per the directions on the Intrusion cards) can all of the melds that were originally played be rebuilt again? If not, how do you keep track of what melds were already in play?

6) #5 Religion Card (Priest): When played in a skirmish, he can attack a Populace card. Does that mean any Populace card on any players' board, or just a Populace card that happens to be played in that particular skirmish?

And just as a clarification for anyone who hasn't seen the Errata, a Common Marriage meld is a King/Queen from the SAME non-dominant condition. A King/Queen from different conditions played as a meld is not valid.

Looking forward to getting these things clarified and playing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k boginski
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope the follow helps:

1) Dominant Condition Status: If someone changes the dominant condition by sacrificing a Luminary (or using the Immediate Intrusion Unstable Times card), I assume the condition would change again if right after that round, a player reached the Era Demarcation level.

A: Yes, it does.

2) Breaking/Rebuilding a Meld: If I have a Cavalcade of Kings meld (4 different Kings - politics, culture, religion, economic) and someone has the ability to dissolve the meld by replacing one of my Kings with an Unwanted, can I rebuild that meld with the Seeds of Enlightenment King and collect the Florins? I read the rules as though I can't, correct? I also understand it that once you've collected your Florins for a meld, that money is safe even if someone breaks the meld.

A: Regarding the Cavalcade of Kings (and Melds like it), you are correct, you cannot add another king and score again. However, if an event occurs where you are forced to pick up all your cards, meld may be scored again.

The money received from Melding does not have to be returned, unless a card specifically states that you must do so.

3) Seduction Personal Action: It says to pick two cards from an opponent's hand and replace with two cards from your hand. Do I pick the two cards using a blind draw or do I look at his hand and choose?

A: You may select any melded cards or two blind cards from his hand.

4) Arquebus Personal Action: If I play a 10 dominant condition card and my opponent plays a 15 dominant condition card to win the skirmish, I could immediately use the Arquebus to kill that 15 and replace it with an Unwanted, thereby winning the skirmish, correct? The downside to this, however, is that the Unwanted card with a potential negative 10 value now comes into my captured cards pile, so in this example it would be a net zero.

A: Yes, the Arquebus card works in exactly that way. It may also be used to kill Populace cards or an opponent's meld card.

5) Immediate Intrusion cards that force a hand Re-Shuffle: I believe there are five Immediate Intrustion cards (Merde, Holy Merde, Detente, Renaissanase Wars, Casualties of War) where it says to pick up your melded cards and hand cards and shuffle them. Once this happens and the newly shuffled decks (or portions of these decks) are passed to other players (per the directions on the Intrusion cards) can all of the melds that were originally played be rebuilt again? If not, how do you keep track of what melds were already in play?

A: YES!

6) #5 Religion Card (Priest): When played in a skirmish, he can attack a Populace card. Does that mean any Populace card on any players' board, or just a Populace card that happens to be played in that particular skirmish?

A: Any Populace card in play, which includes those on Luminary Mats. It's nice to try to kill your baby or someone else's Courtesan, for example.

And just as a clarification for anyone who hasn't seen the Errata, a Common Marriage meld is a King/Queen from the SAME non-dominant condition. A King/Queen from different conditions played as a meld is not valid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Miller
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response, Karen. That clears up all of my qusetions. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mongan
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for this. This also helps clear some things up for me. Just got mine yesterday and first play will be tomorrow. We'll see if any other questions come up. Dang this Medici Box is beautiful though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Gingrich
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are clear that when you win a skirmish that you can lay down only one meld. Does having the Diplomat card, which allows you to lay down a meld between a king and queen of different conditions after you win a skirmish, allow you to lay down a second meld?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k boginski
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank

Any card (or Luminary power) that allows you to meld is in addition to the meld you lay down after winning a Skirmish.

So, you may use the Diplomat's ability to meld as well as the 1 meld per skirmish win.

- karen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Daniels
United States
Goshen
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
In Step Four: The Next Round
It tell us to remove "Unwanted" cards from the discard pile and shuffle them into the "Unwanted" deck again. What about "Unwanted" cards that have were in each player's "Captured Cards" and counted in Step Three? Do those cards get shuffled into the Play deck or back into the "Unwanted" deck again...
thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.