Kelly Aman
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
I bought the RotR base game back when it came out, played through the first adventure, then never came back to it. I finally got around to buying the rest of the adventure decks, and my group is now debating whether we should continue with our old characters or restart from the beginning. We might also have some new players joining us.

When looking character sheets, I noticed the layouts had been updated (yay!) and that the characters for S&S and WotR were also available.

I know some characters wouldn't work at all in RotR (gunslinger, alchemist), but most of them look like they would be fine.

Has anyone actually tried this? Are there balance issues? Or gameplay changes introduced in the later sets which somehow impact these other characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The characters are quite well balanced and playable in any of the adventure paths, as long as they have the boons to support them (Gunslinger and Alchemist being the notable ones, but Swashbuckler as well).

In Skull and Shackles in particular, a lot of the characters will have one role that focuses a bit on powers related to ships, and these won't be useful in other adventure paths. But there should be at least one role which is viable anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most of them would work fine. Some of their rolecards wouldn't be great because they reference their set (like S & S Lin Aquamancer). But typically the other role is more general so you'd pick that. Or if you had one of the other sets or clas decks, you could mix in appropriate boons by level. There's about 50 official characters (and more fan-made) so there's lots of choices. We're doing a PBF game with 3 characters from the class decks and I haven't seen any problems.

If you get the two Pathfinder pawn sets for NPCs, you can get pawns for all the iconics and most of the Class Deck characters so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Aman
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played through RotR with the Witch and the Alchemist (in separate parties). Both were great, even with the limited selection of potions in the set. Even Potion of Glibness is a strong card when you can recharge it to succeed at Diplomacy, or discard it to blow stuff up. I can only imagine how awesome Damiel is in his native S&S.

The worst S&S character for other sets has to be the Swashbuckler. Essentially all of her character powers are nullified outside of S&S. Without ships or swashbuckling, the only thing she has is the use of finesse weapons (yay, a use for Short Sword +1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Aman
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
i'm glad to hear that the Alchemist works alright. A few of the WotR characters have Cohort cards, which I assume are integral to their play style. Is that the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much, especially true of Balazar. He'd be horrible without his cohort. The rest would be ok, since their cohorts go in and out of their deck like normal cards. But Balazar pretty much displays his cohort as the first action in the game and then leaves him displayed for the whole game.

If you wanted to play one of the in another adventure path, I'd recommend using their cohorts too. You can see Alain's chorot (Donahan) and Balazar's cohort (Padrig) in the Paizo blog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.