8 Posts

Galaxy Defenders» Forums » General

Subject: What of the new expansions can I mix in? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan Witt
msg tools
So,

tomorrow we will be starting a new campain of galaxy defenders - our last one ended about a year ago, so we kinda forgot where we left of

With the expansions in store i just wondered: What of the expansions can I mix in, without breaking the game?

At the moment I mixed in the new agends (Psychic Alien, Psychic Guy, Female Marine, Knight (2 Classes), Supportladywith2machineguns

I think about mixing in the kickstarter devices

Can I also mix in devices / weapons /Skills from the other expansions, or would this break the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you use the new rules from the expansions when playing the core set missions? is literally the first thread in this forum right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it has an icon for one of the expansions, you can't mix it in. Otherwise, it's fair game. Psionic skills generally are not needed, unless you're using an agent who gains them (because they otherwise require ranks that only show up in expansions). You can add NPCs if you want by replacing human signals (this is in the Tactical Rulebook). The tactics that are added in the expansions are mostly expansion-specific stuff (like extra batteries), so you might not need those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Witt
msg tools
Dormammu wrote:
Can you use the new rules from the expansions when playing the core set missions? is literally the first thread in this forum right now.

Well i was less worried about the rules and more components so i skipped this, cause its 3 o'clock in the night and i just woke up because some 13-years-old-kids thrown stones at cars (or more through their windows) right infront of my window... so while falling asleep again this question gone through my mind, so I posted rather than reading everything that might lead to something, if the titel wasn't exactly what i was looking for

Sorry 4 that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen this question asked a lot, and just wanted to point out that it is explicitly addressed on Page 8 of the expansion rules.

I am personally a bit more lenient--I think it is OK to add in tactics, devices and skills from the expansions, plus all the Kickstarter content, to the base game. But there IS an official answer readily available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
If it has an icon for one of the expansions, you can't mix it in. Otherwise, it's fair game.

Out of interest - is there any reason for not adding them in? Balance? For most of the stuff it seems to me that its pretty much useless or weak in the basic campaign anyhow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AI Palm
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
I have seen this question asked a lot, and just wanted to point out that it is explicitly addressed on Page 8 of the expansion rules.

I am personally a bit more lenient--I think it is OK to add in tactics, devices and skills from the expansions, plus all the Kickstarter content, to the base game. But there IS an official answer readily available.

I am going for this variant. A lot of the devices/skills/tactics won't be used. But some of the skills are too cool to pass. Like the "hunker down". I don't remember the real name, but the one where you hide close to walls and hills.

Some tactics are great and will make the game easier, but since they are only used once maybe twice. They won't make too much of a difference.

The devices are similar some are useless others are great and can make the game easier or challenging in a different way. The new drones are quite strong though, so i will say that they can't be choosen, but must be "developed first".

@Karl - Yes i think it is a balancing issue for the guns.
The rest can be just simplicity, don't really know there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aipalm wrote:

@Karl - Yes i think it is a balancing issue for the guns.
The rest can be just simplicity, don't really know there.

Not convinced on that one. Critical x is nice, but pretty much wasted on most aliens as they die with 2-3 shots anyway.
The weapons might be too strong in general (not sure there - but then they would also be too mighty in the expansion, wouln't they?), but I don't think the critical is the problem here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.