Subject: Star Realms: Evil Meeple Reviews rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evil Meeple
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello and welcome to the Evil Meeple Review of Star Realms, by Robert Dougherty and Darwin Kastle. In this review, I'll split the game into a couple of things, The Basic Idea, Setup, and Gameplay. So lets get started!

Basic Idea

In Star Realms Deck Building Game, you and your friend are captains of a fleet of ships attacking the other in space combat.

Setup

For the setup give each player a starting deck of two Viper cards, providing attack, eight Scout cards, providing money, and fifty points worth of Authority which is made up of five 1 point cards, one 5 point card, two 10 point cards, and finally a 20 point card. These cards are double sided, so it is easy to keep track of Authority. Then shuffle the main deck and place five cards face up. Take the Explorers and place them face up at the end of the line of face up cards.

Gameplay

Randomly choose one player to be player one. He shuffles his deck and draws three cards. Player two shuffles and draws five cards. Player one then plays his three cards, gaining all money/attack he plays. Attack is spent on the opponent, causing him to lose Authority equal to the attack amount. Money is spent on buying new ships, as well as bases, which remain in play until they are destroyed. Lets say that Player One has two money and one attack. He decides to buy an Explorer, which goes to his discard pile, then he spends his one attack on Player Two, bringing him down to 49 Authority. Then he discards all of his cards, and draws five new cards. Then it would be Player Two's turn. Play is continued like this until a player is reduced to zero Authority. Now lets talk a little more about the bases I mentioned earlier. There are two types of bases, regular bases, and outpost bases. Outposts must be destroyed with attack equal to their attack cost which is in the lower right hand corner, before regular bases or the opposing player can be attacked. Regular planets can be attacked, but the opponent can still be attacked while in the opponent has them in play. To you must use the exact amount in one attack to destroy it, For example, if your opponent has an outpost worth six attack in play, and a base in play worth three, you have eight attack, you must destroy the six outpost before you can destroy anything else. This brings you down to two attack, so you cannot attack the base, which means you must either waste the attack, or attack the opponent. There are some alternate game types, but I won't go into those.

OK, I love this game, is got that space theme, it feels really competitive, and I feel in control. The only problem i have is you must have an expansion to play solo, which I do solo a lot. It is a great game, and I give it 9/10

Also, fallow me on The Evil Meeple Blog, for weekly reviews, variants, sessions, and much more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure that Honor is Authority and Planets are Bases in the official game terminology.

Do you have the expansion that allows solo play? If so how is it good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the gambit set and am not impressed by the solo game play. If you want to play solo, it is better to download the app and play against the AI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Meeple
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thank you. I couldn't remember, so I put guess down. Also, I think the solo is OK, but if I find any solo rules, I'm gonna try 'em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.