United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 5 times now. Each time was me, my five (now six) year old, and two other adults. I've won once (on easy, only me and my son). Lost three times on hard, once on easy. Are we terrible at this game, or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allie Tyndall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we've got half a play with two adults working out the rules and one play with four nine year old boys, with two adults effectively being GM and offering hints. We did a sort of "moderate": we included the door lock and "get two" cards but they could get the jewels in any order. They only just won, after getting up to 5 hauntings twice, and they made it out of the door with two left. It wasn't easy but they did it by splitting up into jewel hunters and anti-haunt pairs. Of course, they might have just been lucky! I can see how quickly you might get up to six haunts if you're unlucky with your rolls. We felt the "draw 2" and "draw 3" cards were unbalanced so (house ruled) we took it literally instead of sticking to the rules that it had to be adding ghosts. So the two drawn might be "blue doors locked" and "shuffle" and everyone breathed a sigh of relief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is definitely difficult, but I love it for that. Finally had our first win on Hard after 6 plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost again last night. Sigh. We are even using the houserule that additional draw+shuffle cards drawn during a draw+shuffle event count towards the # of cards drawn, but don't have any effect.

Of course, I kept explaining to everyone that killing ghosts was more important than getting treasures, and they kept not listening, so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Yu
United States
el segundo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not a house rule - draw/shuffle cards drawn during draw cards are counted towards the total, but have no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
yubm wrote:
That's not a house rule - draw/shuffle cards drawn during draw cards are counted towards the total, but have no effect.

Good to know. It wasn't clear to me (using translation) whether this was the case or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping the green ghosts at bay from the start is the key to winning. Once there are two in at least three rooms, you'll need a lot of lucky rolls to get out with all the jewels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gough
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the difficulty is a problem for kids, even playing the Advanced Rules.

This game has the one huge necessary element when it comes to difficult co-ops: it's just as fun to play and lose as it is to play and win.

In fact, if I'd beat this game on the first try, I don't even know that I'd have played it again. But when this game beats you, it always feels like you were THIS CLOSE to winning. So it draws you in for another play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yubm wrote:

Wow, good to know. We've been playing the Ghostbusters version and this isn't at all clear from the rules. We were playing it the other way (they don't count towards the total and are replaced).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.