Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Monsieur Douby
France
flag msg tools
Hi,some motive cards are easy to identify :
- Boat, dogs and car : wealth
- Torn wedding picture, voodoo doll : ex wife revenge
- Money, horse racing picture : gambling debt in horse racing (or something like that)

Did anybody succeed in identifying the other ones ?
- Fireplace and gun
- Angel and bed
- Caravan and moon
- Pink letter, ring and roses

Thank you in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrdouby wrote:
Hi,some motive cards are easy to identify :
- Boat, dogs and car : wealth
- Torn wedding picture, voodoo doll : ex wife revenge
- Money, horse racing picture : gambling debt in horse racing (or something like that)

Did anybody succeed in identifying the other ones ?
- Fireplace and gun
- Angel and bed
- Caravan and moon
- Pink letter, ring and roses

Thank you in advance.

I've got the same question.

My bad guesses in the order they appear in this photo:

Left column first top to bottom and then right column.

Revenge for a Broken Marriage: voodoo doll is the groom with hat and bow-tie, groom torn off of wedding photo, BROKEN chain. Not sure how the red ribbon in the upper left corner ties in, nor the calendar, nor photo of a duel, nor sword. The head shot of a woman might be the "other woman".

Greed/Wealth: nothing but luxury goods and cash in that one

Full Moon Madness/Insanity: full moon with demon(?) face in the moon. I have no idea what anything else in the photo is for except to fill the card.

Sex: bed+cupid+pink = sex. I think the binoculars are for voyeurism or peeping-tom.

Gambling Debt: race ponies, horse racing trophy, and cash do suggest gambling debt. But I don't see how the Japanese swords fit in; maybe something to do with honor? And then there is the floor plan, the clipboard with photo, and the box.

Protect One's Family: hearth and toys suggests family. For me the broken tower is 9-11 which set off war-fever in the US. (That's my American perception. This is a Polish Edition right? What would that tower broken by lightning mean to them?) The photos of men on a battlefield fits in (for me), as for some war is an extension of defense of family.

Love: flowers, jewelry, (they left out chocolates), love letter/valentine (pink envelope), bridal veil, the background looks like a mattress, even the drawing of the fairy-tale castle suggests the idea of the knight in shining armor and "they lived happily ever after" (except I guess they didn't) (maybe the murderer off-ed the competition)

BTW, aren't there just 3 categories of motives: Greed, Revenge, and Survival? and maybe a 4th: Insanity. Might help to place each card into one of those categories and work from there.

In that case it's:
Revenge
Greed
Insanity
Greed
Greed
Survival
Greed

That's a lot of greed. And a lot of love/sex/marriage. Seems like there could have been more variety. Maybe we can look forward to more motive cards in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
rainbowrose wrote:
My bad guesses in the order they appear in this photo:

Left column first top to bottom and then right column.

I'll add my thoughts to yours.

rainbowrose wrote:
Revenge for a Broken Marriage: voodoo doll is the groom with hat and bow-tie, groom torn off of wedding photo, BROKEN chain. Not sure how the red ribbon in the upper left corner ties in, nor the calendar, nor photo of a duel, nor sword. The head shot of a woman might be the "other woman".

That is one interpretation. Another one could be that the murderer wanted to end their marriage (or that of his/her sister, or whatever). Divorce was not yet in fashion in that time, so the murderer took more drastic steps.
The torn wedding picture and the voodoo doll bridegroom both point toward this unhappy marriage (was voodoo already so popular in the 1920's?). The broken chain could refer to someone getting free of his/her bonds. The duel, calendar, picture and dagger do not really point to this interpretation (or to yours), but could be explained towards them.

rainbowrose wrote:
Greed/Wealth: nothing but luxury goods and cash in that one

Jealousy? Toward others who have it better materially?

rainbow rose wrote:
Full Moon Madness/Insanity: full moon with demon(?) face in the moon. I have no idea what anything else in the photo is for except to fill the card.

Yeah, insanity. The broken picture might point to schizophrenia - it's IMHO a classic representation. Bottom right you find a pot with pills. Is that an anachronism? Nowadays many mental instabilities are treated with chemicals (medicine), but did they already do that in the 1920's? And those capsules, were they already in use at that time?

The trowel - no idea. And I have difficulties identifying some other parts of that picture.
Edit: No, wait. That's no trowel, it's a bloody shard of the broken picture.

rainbowrose wrote:
Sex: bed+cupid+pink = sex. I think the binoculars are for voyeurism or peeping-tom.

Love denied? A single rose on the floor, cupid in a strange pose (normally he is depicted as shooting an arrow, here he holds the bow to the floor).
Binoculars to still follow the object of their passion.
Don't know if the bed refers to sex - it's very neatly made up.

rainbowrose wrote:
Gambling Debt: race ponies, horse racing trophy, and cash do suggest gambling debt. But I don't see how the Japanese swords fit in; maybe something to do with honor? And then there is the floor plan, the clipboard with photo, and the box.

Gambling debt is unlikely with so much cash neatly stacked. Match fixing maybe? With the Yakuza (the samurai swords and the lacquer box)?
I'm puzzled here. Anachronism again; Japan in the 1920s was by far not as important in the western world as it is now. Highly unlikely that the yakuza already were so entrenched in Western society at that time. This was the time when Sax Rohmer wrote his books about Fu Manchu, but the idea of a vast Asian crime syndicate was more some exciting exotic idea than a real peril.
The green money - would that be French money from the 1920's? Somehow when I see stacks of greenish paper, I think more of dollars than of French francs.

rainbowrose wrote:
Protect One's Family: hearth and toys suggests family. For me the broken tower is 9-11 which set off war-fever in the US. (That's my American perception. This is a Polish Edition right? What would that tower broken by lightning mean to them?) The photos of men on a battlefield fits in (for me), as for some war is an extension of defense of family.

The Tower card, with lightning striking and destroying it, is one of the Major Arcana of a Tarot deck. It's meaning is ruin, or disaster. To the left of the Tower card is a broken glass, which (in my interpretation) also refers to ruin, as do the burnt pictures in the fireplace (and fire itself can be a symbol of destruction).
The rifle and the unburnt pictures refer to the Great War (World War One), certainly a time when much was destroyed. This game is set in France, where many of the main battlefields were. And this game is set two to eleven years after that war has ended; the war was still fresh in everyone's memory then.

Perhaps the victim had been a French officer, and his decisions have led to the death of the murderer's children (see the dolls)? They might have been enlisted, and killed when their commander made a bad combat decision. Or the officer failed to protect the mansion / village / company of the killer, and that, along with his family was then destroyed in the war.
This interpretation would then point toward revenge.

rainbowrose wrote:
Love: flowers, jewelry, (they left out chocolates), love letter/valentine (pink envelope), bridal veil, the background looks like a mattress, even the drawing of the fairy-tale castle suggests the idea of the knight in shining armor and "they lived happily ever after" (except I guess they didn't) (maybe the murderer off-ed the competition)

Definitely love. A wedding even, with the ring, the bouquet of roses, the bridal veil and the rose petals strewn around. Definitely not spurned love; we already had that in a previous card (in my interpretation, that is), and nothing in the card points toward love denied. But love or wedding in itself is for me too abstract a motive for murder.
We see a sealed envelope - a secret? And a picture of a devil in hell. Perhaps the bride or groom had a secret that would have ruined the wedding, and they decided to kill the other person who knew this secret.

Edit: Certainly from the last two cards I can derive a powerful, complex motive. They suggest a story to me instead of just a single word. But - just like in the game - it's very much my interpretation, and I'll have to wait for the ghost to declare if that interpretation was correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Esp for explaining The Tower card. I knew I had to be off on that one.

You have cleared some things up for me.

In the insanity card, I thought those pill-like things were bullets.

Still feel unsure about the card with the Japanese swords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loscutoff
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I'd rather lose to a good move, Than win to a bad one...
badge
the abstract manifest.
mbmbmbmbmb
going in same pattern as image:

1(calendar)-revenge/rage 5-(money, swords)society status/ honor
2-(woman, boat)fame 6-(rifle, fireplace)trauma
3-(moon)lunacy/ depression 7-(letter, petals)desire/lust
4-(binoculars)jealousy 8-(pearls)greed/ wealth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Just FYI, your #8 is the deck back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loscutoff
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I'd rather lose to a good move, Than win to a bad one...
badge
the abstract manifest.
mbmbmbmbmb
rainbowrose wrote:
Thanks.

Just FYI, your #8 is the deck back.

thanks - wondered why the design was so simple...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the rifle and the photos in the one motive card point to Workd War 1. However in the English version of the game ( Mysterium) the murder took place in 1894... 20 years before the war. Is the date for the murder different in the Polish version ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For refering to the cards when playing the game by forum (PBF) I haved decided to use

the one in a bedroom
the one with a bouquet
the one with a full moon
the one with a rifle and a fire
the one with a voodoo doll
the one with a yacht
the one with Japanese swords

which are similar to the style of names that I gave the story cards from Mysterium: Secrets & Lies

"the one" followed by 1 or 2 prepositional phrases

Compare List of Characters, Locations, Objects, and Stories for Mysterium and expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.