Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lars F.
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I played my first round of Arboretum - oh wow, what a great game! And an eye candy, too...

But we had some discussions regarding the end game conditions.

As per the rule, the player who draws the last card from the draw pile plays his turn and afterwards the scoring occurs.

We played with 3 Players, the 2nd player finished the game. Therefore the 3rd player remarked (quite correctly) that he had one less turn than the other players and therefore didn't have the chance to score as much as the other players.

Would it be better to complete a full round up to the starting player after the last card has been drawn? There should still be cards to draw at the other player's discards pile...

Looking forward to your thoughts on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct. The amount of turns will not be fixed due to the varied locations where players can draw their 2 cards at the start of their turn. I play it as written in the rules..you can actually attempt to delay the end of the game by drawing from the discard piles rather than the draw pile..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
A small tweak to balance the first player issue is to not start the game with a card in each discard piles. That way, the first player will have less choices to pick from on the first turn, while the others will have at least one extra or more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars F.
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
A small tweak to balance the first player issue is to not start the game with a card in each discard piles.

Well, the issue in this case was more that Player #3 had one less turn at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Florino wrote:
deedob wrote:
A small tweak to balance the first player issue is to not start the game with a card in each discard piles.

Well, the issue in this case was more that Player #3 had one less turn at the end of the game.

... and as i mentionned, handicaping the first players in the first round a bit can make up for a possible lack of a last turn, which happens often.

Not the best solution, but "a" solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars F.
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, now I got your point. Thanks for clarifying. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio J Correa
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello...

I read in this 'simplified' rule (files session) that 'The game ends when there are no cards left to draw.'

Is this the official rule book text?

Because, if it is, I would keep playing until the current player would not want to draw from a discard pile or there were not 2 cards for him/her to make a complete draw (since all discard piles are valid drawing sources).

... or is this 'simplification' introducing an unnecessary interpretation error/issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The text in the rules is, "The game ends when there are no further cards in the draw pile. The player who drew the last card plays her turn normally, and then scoring occurs."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio J Correa
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
mbmb
gillum wrote:
The text in the rules is, "The game ends when there are no further cards in the draw pile. The player who drew the last card plays her turn normally, and then scoring occurs."

Thank you...

So the Plain and Simple Guide (in the Files session) was oversimplified...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.