Popular Tags: [View All]
ben priest
United Kingdom
Sleaford
lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so I read the rules to roborally quite simple and short rules compared to rules I usually read, however having a head cold and lack of iron my head was not really with it and so thing that should be going in wasn't.

I battled my way through the short rules which would normally be a breeze and we played.

I have been playing roborally a lot for the last 3 days with my partner and we both have really enjoyed it....well today I am better and discovered after re-reading the rules that we had being playing the game wrong shake I did notice the odd power up card didn't make much sense this explained all.

The way we had been playing was all normal but one major rule, we did not do the board element, flags, and shooting until after the 5th register phase rather than after each phase. Now this sounds pretty stupid but it did I feel work pretty well.

Well today I played the correct way and I have to say I was quite disappointed and bored....ok a lot disappointed and bored playing the right way, but it feels wrong to play it the wrong way when there is a right way. I found the whole game seemed way slower and more like a shooter then a race with the robots taking damage constantly. I know it is the right way but it feels wrong now after playing so many times the wrong way where I had lots of fun.

The way we had played seemed to speed the game up a little but still have a little challenge there and some shooting etc. I did think the robots didn't get damaged as much as they should and that is the one thing I would have liked a little more but overall I found it more satisfying to play wrong as does my partner.

Now I suppose it is my game and if I want to play it wrong I can as long as we both enjoy it but I normally always follow the rules quite strictly. Does anyone else think it would be wrong or has anyone else ever made a mistake and found they preffered it the wrong way.

I think I may go back to playing the wrong way and make a few tweaks such as laser fire does more then 1 damage etc. and make it so certain power up cards work in the wrong way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C A
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Been playing for years and have used several homemade variants before just for fun. Nothing wrong with it as long as everyone playing agrees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play the game in whatever way you find it fun. I would be insanely bored if the board wouldn't trigger in every register. It becomes very predictable, very easy, shorter, and the main factor is just cards you drew. In essence, it's turning the game with plethora if funny interactions into a game with almost no interaction at all. Maybe you just wanted an euro?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, one of the main parts of the game is figuring out how to best use the board elements to your advantage. If the board elements only act at the end of each turn, they have almost no impact, thus taking away this important aspect of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted W
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Sight beyond sight!
badge
*Shrug* Wampas, am I right?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - timing your move just right creates nail-biting tenseness in the cannery, which is probably my favourite board. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus this also eliminates one of the major risks of powering down--being killed while powered down
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben priest
United Kingdom
Sleaford
lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do agree the way I had played it did take away from the damage element a little bit much.

I did attempt the game again today but I found it a little too dry still after playing wrong, I think if I had played right in the first place it would have been different and I probably would have had fun but after playing where we had more fun the wrong way, hate to say but this is one game where I am going to play wrong, I am going to modify the rules to make it a little harder etc. like laser doing more damage etc. but both me and my partner agreed it was more fun the other way.

I do wish had got it right in the first place just to see the game i think the experience would have been different. I am usually pretty on the ball when it comes to rules first time I have ever really went into a game not fully reading the rules right the fact I was slurring the words at the time as I read them to my partner and had to take breaks between about 10 pages of rules shake didn't really help lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ben priest wrote:

Now I suppose it is my game and if I want to play it wrong I can as long as we both enjoy it but I normally always follow the rules quite strictly. Does anyone else think it would be wrong or has anyone else ever made a mistake and found they preffered it the wrong way.

Of course you can play any way you like, as long as everyone else is good with it and you have fun that way. Since it's just your partner I don't see the big deal. If you play with other people, you do have to be careful cause you'll be used to different rules. And... I've only played this 3 times and it's been a while (as in, I don't remember what a "register" is, assuming I knew to start with ), but all 3 times we had rules screwed up, and I find a lot of people don't have all the details totally right. And we'd even change rules mid-game. I also know people who make house rules, not because they screwed up, but simply cause they don't like some particular element.

But I do get what you mean about feeling like you have to do it "right" and follow the rules. I'm actually pretty picky about rules. But... you having fun is more important. I don't see that it's much different than when I refuse to use what is a common winning strategy because I simply don't like it - if it's no fun, I don't want to do it, win or lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.