Scottish Corridor: Lion Rampant» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Old School ATS : Cameronians Crossing ( Scenario 2 ) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lindgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
2 weeks ago I met with my friend U. for a game of ATS.
U. had never played ATS before and I hadn't played for several years so it was a fresh start for both of us.

To keep things simple, we decided to play a small scenario.

The game was played with rules version 3.09. I don't feel like paying 50$ for a .pdf file for the new version 4 rules.

So, to sum it up: A scenario from one of the oldest ATS releases played with a ruleset from before all that TT nonsense began ( long time ATS players will know what I mean).

It doesn't get more old school than that laugh

U. played the germans, I played the British.

Victory conditions:
The British have to exit 15 SP of troops along the road exiting in hex F1.
The Germans have to stop them.

All units start off board.
The British start with 4 movement impulses before the germans get to move.

British Deployment:

British troops move up through the orchards.

Turn 1

The first Germans drive onto the board and unload some troops.
British troops move into the ravine and on the right Sgt. Hawk moves his troops closer to the exit point.

[

Turn 2

German MMG moves up trying to block the exit, but before they get in position Sgt. hawk leads his men past them. 12 SP has left the board

Cpt. Parsons infantry pops up from the ravine ( move to UP position ) while the mortar in the orchard exchange fire with the german APC with no casualties on any side.

Turn 3

Mortar and gunfire decimate the troops in Sgt. Stephenson's squad and wounds Sgt. Stephenson ( A german sergent named Stephenson.. Really ? )

On the left Sgt. Larsen moves his troops closer to the exit.

The first armor rolls in. A german Panther takes up position near the exit point. British Churchills armed with 75mm guns moves in to support Cpt. Parsons in the orchards.

Turn 4

More gunfire wipes out Sgt. Stephenson and his troops.
The APC wisely drives away to safety while another Panter rolls in to support it.
A British squad armet with PIATs tries to sneak up to the APC on the main road but is spotted by the germans in G6 and movn down in a hail of gunfire.

After the smoke has cleared the British armor moves closer

After this point I forgot to take any more photos soblue

Turn 5 and 6 saw sgt. Larson trying to lead his troops of the board using lots of smoke, only to die in a hail of gunfire and grenades.

Turn 6 also saw a Churchill blown up by the german Panzerschreck in H3

With the British infantry decimated and lots of germans in blocking positions we saw no reason to play turn 7.

With only 12 SP leaving the board the British are defeated !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Care to elaborate the abbreviations? Or is it: For many are called, but few are chosen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll try

ATS = Advanced Tobruk System. The overall game system/Family

SP = Stacking points. 1 figure on a counter is 1 SP. A measure of the number of soldiers represented by 1 counter

APC = Armored personel carrier. In this case a german half track.

MMG = Medium machine gun. Tripod mounted machinegun with crew. Very dangerous for unprotected infantry but it can't move and fire in the same turn.

PIAT = Projector Infantry AntiTank ( true ! ). A British antitank weeapon. It used a giant spring to launch anti-tank grenades. Effectice range was less than 100 m. but it had no backblast like Bazooka style weapons.

UP position = units in a ravine/trench/hole can be in two positions : normal or Down position where they hide at the bottom. They can't see or fire at anything but they can't be seen or fired at.
UP position where they climb to the edge of their hiding place. They can see and fire fire normally and be seen and fired at. The ravine/trench still offers some protection

TT rules = TableTop rules. An experimental rules system that became the standard rule system that became the current version 4.x rule system.
Games that came with the TT rules also used smaller counters. It caused lots of debate and dissatisfaction among players.
Personally I'm ok with new rules but I bought into ATS instead of ASL because of the larger counters and historic maps.

Did that cover all the abbreviations or did I leave some out ?

Please ask if you have more questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wolfram beat me to first post so here are my own comments, a little late:

That didn't go so well !

How did things go so wrong ?

I clearly need to re-learn a few things about ATS.

My deployment wasn't that bad, but then it went downhill from there.

Most of my infantry spent the entire game relaxing in the orchards when they should have been advancing.
If I had moved them all forward they could have stomped the german MMG before it got into position and then marched off the board just in time to make obscene gestures to the Panter crew as it drove onto the board.

The one time they did something potentially useful, they forgot the Cardinal rule of german machineguns : DON'T STAND IN FRONT OF THE GERMAN MACHINEGUNS !!!

The germans have the deadliest machineguns in the game, with both high firepower and rate of fire.

I also forgot one of the most important things when playing any kind of wargame.
Maintenance of aim: I forgot the Victory conditions and spent too much time hiding in among the trees when I should have been going for a win.
ATS scenarios are always short on time for the attacker so hiding gets you nowhere.

I'm not sure I like this kind of scenario. It leads to some very gamey moves, like moving 1/3 of my men off board on turn 2 and the heavy use of smoke on turn 6 when more troops tried to escape.
My opponent also new exactly what I was trying to do and could concentrate his best units near the exit point.

Aside from me losing horribly, we had an enjoyable afternoon.

We got to use most of the basic rules for both infantry and armor and had fun doing it..what more can you ask ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Taylor
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great AAR. ATS 3.09/3.12 is the best rules version. There were still a few things in need of clarification, but only minor things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobrukker
United States
flag msg tools
I was like, "What abbreviations?" then oh, yeah if you're not familiar with ATS.

These meeting engagement scenarios are not uncommon in Adv. Tobruk, usually with some Vehicles needing to get off. It can seem odd or gamey within the small area that the game presents, but historically must have been common on the shoulders of a larger attack operation. With a numerically weaker 'nuisance' force trying to slow up attacking units.

Always great to see ATS AARs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.