1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » England

Subject: Looking for gamers in/near Didcot, Oxfordshire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luth Dawg
msg tools
mbmb
As the title says, my partner and I are looking for a group to join in, or around, the Didcot area. We're open to a bit of travelling, just not too much (commuting during the week sure puts you off doing more at weekends!), so a half-hour drive or thereabouts isn't out of the question.

A flavour of the games we've a preference for are generally of the longer thematic sort, so BSG/Eldritch Horror/Shadows of Brimstone/Dead of Winter/Descent etc. However, we'll never rule out trying something different (it just takes a bigger 'sell' to make farming in renaissance Europe appealing to me)

So, here's to hoping there're others out there, or other lost souls willing to meet on 'neutral ground'! (Where's a *fingers crossed* emoticon when you need one...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lots of gaming that happens in Reading, but not sure if that's too far for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also know there's gaming in Abingdon, but I dont know any details I'm afraid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
www.boardgoats.org
United Kingdom
Stanford-in-the-Vale, Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Our little group, boardGOATS, meet on alternate Tuesdays in a nice little pub about half-way between Faringdon and Wantage. We have a large intersection with Didcot Games Club who meet on the alternate week at Didcot Football Club, but on the Friday. Check out our calendar for the dates.

I'm afraid we tend to play more farming in renaissance Europe than longer thematic games, but we will try most things once and we certainly have some people who come along on a Tuesday who prefer theme to cube-pushing.

Good luck in your search,

nannyGOAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luth Dawg
msg tools
mbmb
Reading's not too far if its a weekend gathering, but definitely is for a weeknight. From what I've been able to tell looking at MeepleMapper/RoyalSocietyOfGamers lists the Reading ones all seem to be a weeknight.

Very happy to be wrong on that front, though!

[Editing due to the wonderful extra responses in the time it took me to reply before!]

I think we may have to have a jaunt out to see you, boardGOATS. I had wondered about the Didcot Games Club (stumbled across the name before), but I just got a 404 for their webpage and got no further. We're happy to 'push cubes' as well (Dungeon Petz is probably my all-time favourite game.. with 'cube pushing' + oodles of theme), no disrespect meant! (Just seemed fair to let everyone know who they'd be letting into their midst) If OK, I may drop you a line before your next meet so you've a heads up that those two nosey busy bodies lurking near your tables mean no harm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclectic Games in Reading has a least 1 Saturday open gaming per month. It's usually the 3rd Saturday of the month, but it's often moved slightly due to CCG tournaments.

They advertise the dates on their facebook page and website.

I think the Reading Board Game Society has a one Sunday a month event, but hopefully
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
can give you more correct info than me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
www.boardgoats.org
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luth wrote:

I think we may have to have a jaunt out to see you, boardGOATS.

You would be very welcome! And I can recommend the grub...

Luth wrote:

I had wondered about the Didcot Games Club (stumbled across the name before), but I just got a 404 for their webpage and got no further.

Yes, I just found that too as I was going to include a link in my post. The club is still very much extant, five of the usual suspects were at boardGOATS on Tuesday and nobody mentioned the Didcot website. I will find out what has happened to it and see if we can get it back on its feet.

Luth wrote:

We're happy to 'push cubes' as well (Dungeon Petz is probably my all-time favourite game.. with 'cube pushing' + oodles of theme), no disrespect meant! (Just seemed fair to let everyone know who they'd be letting into their midst)

None taken! Of course different people like different things, but these days we would rather be up front and honest about what we play and then everyone knows where they stand. You can see the sort of thing we play by checking out the game reports.

Luth wrote:

If OK, I may drop you a line before your next meet so you've a heads up that those two nosey busy bodies lurking near your tables mean no harm.

Please do, emails are answered by a couple of us so don't be surprised about that. And please do bring along your own games if you have something you think we might like. Oh, and we hide in the back room at the pub and there will probably people there from about 7pm feeding...!

Thanks again,

nannyGOAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ibsen
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oxford on Board (findable on Meetup and to some extent on Facebook) have weekly meets in Oxford and weekend meets more or less once a month. Some of ourn members live near Didcot and might be up for other gaing closer to home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is gaming that happens in reading on a weekend but it's part of a different group to the reading biardgame society. We do have occasional weekend meets but they are rare.

The Ukrainian centre also has weekend thing. Daryl will have the details of both - I'll prompt him to respond!

Looks like the goatcrew are closer for you though..

If you are in Oxford there is always gaming at thirstymeeples too, although getting to Oxford centre might pose an issue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Summoning
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EarlyFlash wrote:
Summoning
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You called?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
details of any weekend gaming in reading please, apart from at EG as I've already given those out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RUCC has an all day meet in Reading on the 1st Saturday of the month... 2 days time, fortuitously.

Runs from midday and there's also plenty of parking (or it's about 10 mins from the train station. http://www.rucc.org.uk/. I wouldn't let the Ukrainian thing put you off, unless you have a passing resemblance to Vladamir Putin in which case you may meet some hostility, it's a good mixed bunch of gamers with plenty of games to be played.

All starts at midday and I'll be down there for a bit... and yes, you would be able to identify me from the avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
startrouble wrote:
details of any weekend gaming in reading please, apart from at EG as I've already given those out.
Apologies - I was just double checking the meet was on this week - They're not great with the whole online communication thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out our activity The Reading Boardgames Social which includes the odd bigger event as well as the regular activities.

If you want to keep an eye on all the different stuff going down in Reading then www.facebook.com/groups/TheReadingITTCrowd/ was set up for just that purpose.

Happy gaming, wherever you choose to roll your dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geremiah wrote:
startrouble wrote:
Apologies - I was just double checking the meet was on this week - They're not great with the whole online communication thing.

Sorry, brain not functioning.. presumed you hadnt read up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in Wantage. I don't get to go out for gaming much, but occasionally get to the Didcot games club. If you want to see if we can meet up some time or just chat, feel free to geekmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luth Dawg
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for all the responses! I think we'll have quite a bit of fun touring around and meeting you all.

Keith: Oxford's a possibility on weekends, but sadly not weekdays. We'll keep an eye out for Oxford on Boards weekend meets (I was under the impression they were just Mondays)

Louisa, Paul & Daryl: I think you've sorted our weekend for us. We'll have a stop by both Eclectic Games (I've never been and I do so love checking out games shops, regardless of whether or not any gaming may be happening!) and then via the RUCC for a spot of lurking awkwardly in the background. Believe it or not, I've passed through Reading on the train a zillion times but have never left the station... It seems simple enough to find you all, though.

Paul: We used to be extreme regulars at Thirsty Meeples, until a few months ago (actually.. time flies) when my job moved out of Oxford meaning we did too. We occasionally drop by and marvel and just how amazingly busy they are (which is great, but when we were last there we could barely hear each other)

Rob: I've put the Didcot games club dates in my calendar (thanks to the boardGOATS calendar link), so I can pretty much guarentee we'll give their next meeting a go. Perhaps we'll see you there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ibsen
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luth wrote:

Keith: Oxford's a possibility on weekends, but sadly not weekdays. We'll keep an eye out for Oxford on Boards weekend meets (I was under the impression they were just Mondays)

The next weekend booked is August 23rd at the White House.

Also Oxford Meeples are having a Day of Games on August 8th in Wolvercote. They are always fun to attend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just looked at the BoardGOATS calendar and saw that Didcot GC has switched to Thursdays. Didn't know about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
www.boardgoats.org
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Er, no they haven't - my mistake! Thanks for spotting it Rob, fixing it now! For clarity, their next meeting is this Friday, 7th August.

nannyGOAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, cool, thanks for the correction. I'd hate to randomly turn up on the wrong day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
www.boardgoats.org
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, that would have been very embarrassing indeed!

nannyGOAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luth Dawg
msg tools
mbmb
I'm glad there're people in the know to stop me turning up and being very confused!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
www.boardgoats.org
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Luth wrote:
I had wondered about the Didcot Games Club (stumbled across the name before), but I just got a 404 for their webpage and got no further.

Just to let you know, their website is back up and running.

nannyGOAT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.