Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harley-Davidson's Hurdle: Attracting Young Motorcycle Riders

CEO wants to get videogame generation off of the couch and onto a bike

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104018

"Harley-Davidson ... is counting on lower-priced bikes designed for urban riding and eventually a battery-powered alternative to the classic Hog. ... Harley also has demonstrated prototypes for a battery-powered LiveWire motorcycle designed for young, urban riders who think gasoline engines are bad for the planet.

Priority will go to those that can appeal to younger adults, women and minorities... Some bikes that appeal only to the core audience may be allowed to fade away."

"Women and minorities are the in groups of the day, and White men are out, out, out! OUT. That's the case even at Harley-Davidson. ...appeal to women and minorities -- and hipsters, who do NOT ride motorcycles in any significant percentage... That's like saying the company will only make tampons that appeal to White males. It doesn't make sense. But that's what they're gonna do.

...Harley is also aiming at hipsters who hate gasoline and the combustion engine because that's proved so successful for the Chevy Volt, right?

If Harley-Davidson is really serious about this identity politics BS, the company should start at the top ... and replace 50-year-old White male CEO Levatich with a 27-year-old Black transsexual lacto-ovo yoga instructor who teaches 'The Hidden Philosophy of Autistic Art Therapy Using Q-Tips Dipped Au Jus on Parchment as a Medium' at The New School. After all, that represents all the groups Harley-Davidson thinks is where the gravy is.

Levatich's oldest son is at Yale, and the elitist Levatich relates his son's experience at the Ivy League school with how to gain new customers. I relate it to how to lose all of your core customers, to most of whom the more relatable Yale is a brand of lock. Good luck with that.

Hey, sounds like the Republican Party's war on its core customer in order to reach minorities and women. And it will be just as 'successful.'" -- Debbie Schlussel, political commentator and blogger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Hey, Tripp. What do think of this?
A battery powered Harley sounds AWESOME........ not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
A battery powered Harley sounds AWESOME........ not.

It's funny because you think he likes it at first, but then he says "not" which makes you realize you've been bamboozled.

OH! I get it now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are awesome..........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well if Debbie Schlussel thinks it's a bad idea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah, well, it's been motorcycling *news* for a while now. Also, it's not going to be successful for a variety of reasons -

* Harley is already doing fine

* They made wimp-friendly bikes in the past via MV Agusta/Americci over in Italy. That failed to save them and they got sold to a bowling pin company. AMF.

* When the workers got together and with Willie G bought HD back they returned to the original successful formula - big twins for people who like that stuff. Which worked.

* My suspicion is that the CEO and his moron son are in thrall to the misguided notion that current cultural trends are permanent enough to try and build specific bikes to sell to them. They are incorrect, the whole cringe worthy metrosexual acronym-identifying plaid wearing faux environmentalist thing is a fad. People will go back to ignoring the screeching of special interests, actually doing the hard work of improving humanity's lot while not killing the planet and stop dressing like a bunch of self-involved ass-licking approval seekers.

* The last one above means Harley will probably lose the middle-aged lawyer, accountant, congressional hopeful market.

No real loss there eh? but leather chap sales will likely plummet.

Like many motorcycle enthusiasts I have owned a few Harley's and because big twins are the configuration I prefer they suited me. But so do BMW's, Ducati's, Moto Guzzi's and even the odd Yamaha big twin I've had. What makes HD special to Americans is it's a world brand that is distinctly American. Big, loud, and totally customization friendly. And that's why I think the small bike, electric bike thing is doomed if branded as a Harley. Make them for sure, but call them something else. The typical enviro-moronic, gape-mouthed dipshit with a fistful of $9 free trade latte and a 4 foot shock of cornrowed blonde hair standing on a street corner in Portland isn't going to rush out and buy an electric Harley because it's a Harley. In fact, he/she/it would probably purposely not buy an electric or small displacement Harley because it's Harley.

Okay, here's the obligatory pic of me on my last Harley, with my boy. Obviously, a few years back because the kid is huge now:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to changing vehicle/living situations my daughter and I recently talked about motorcycle/scooter feasibility for her. I have to say an electic Harley would be pretty awesome. I recommended against the plan in general just because of the winter in Cleveland. She would still need a car at least 3 months out of the year (sometimes 4). Not sure how far off the mark they are with this concept though, there are alot of young people moving back Downtown here in Cleveland and an electric bike that is more than a motorized bicycle might actually sell. To Tripps point, maybe the market wasn't ready the first time. I can't say for sure if it is even now, but it isn't totally out there as ideas go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That guy in the picture looks like a real prick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
Daddys_Home wrote:
i can't see it, the boys blocking it.

Probably crossing a line here now.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
CapNClassic wrote:
Daddys_Home wrote:

He crossed that line a long time ago. In his hurry to yell at a wheelchair bound leukemia sufferer for having all the luck he didn't even see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
To Tripps point, maybe the market wasn't ready the first time. I can't say for sure if it is even now, but it isn't totally out there as ideas go.

There are a couple of electrics on the market now and they're not selling well. They are costly, heavy and kind of defeat the whole idea of the motorcycle experience. Zero makes a few but they are just flat over priced. $12K gets you a whopping 54 HP and (maybe) 185 mile range and removes one of the primary motorcycle safety features - noise. For only $16K you can get all the way up to 64 HP. I'm shivering at the thrill of HP levels that barely exceed my old 1973 Beetle and provides none of the comforts or pleasures delivered by either the VW or a $4,000 used bike that can go 300 miles on a tank, deliver more HP and not be even more invisible than they already are.

I like the idea, for sure, I just don't believe humans are ready yet. Some urban Moorlocks maybe, but not actual people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
CapNClassic wrote:
Daddys_Home wrote:

He crossed that line a long time ago. In his hurry to yell at a wheelchair bound leukemia sufferer for having all the luck he didn't even see it.

You're going to have to fill me in.

I'm really quite amazed how people are so quick to defend one of the biggest a-holes in RSP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
CapNClassic wrote:
Daddys_Home wrote:

I'm really quite amazed how people are so quick to defend one of the biggest a-holes in RSP.

Because everyone here is an asshole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally made it! Drew called me the biggest a-hole in RSP! You're such a sweetheart kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
CapNClassic wrote:
Daddys_Home wrote:

I don't see any defenders actually. CaptainCaveman made a joke that included Tripp, his son and Tripps penis. That would be bad taste for anyone. Then I went on to mention something from another thread where CaptainCaveman had already crossed the line. I guess a case could be made that Dashi was defending Tripp or at least his son, but I took it as just calling someone out for going too far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you were referring to CaptainCaveman?

Just making sure I didn't cross a line somewhere without knowing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:

No I think you were obviously just calling Tripp a name. The Captain took it to creepy (or at least inappropriate, if being generous) land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, it is an unwritten rule that people on forums don't talk about people that aren't resent on the forum to defend themselves, other than public figures, and you especially don't talk about peoples kids. Which unfortunately is something some of you assholes have done about my kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Why is anyone talking about defending me? And who is that unknown shitstick who keeps following me around sniffing my farts? This is about electric motorcycles and the seeming agenda-driven misstep Harley is about to take.

There's always one guy who resents not being noticed. So I'll go back to not noticing him unless he posts a picture of him on his awesome motorcycle. That'd make him a bruthah rather than an inconsequential douchebag.

But my bet is currently on inconsequential douchebag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
TheChin! wrote:
Daddys_Home wrote:

No I think you were obviously just calling Tripp a name. The Captain took it to creepy (or at least inappropriate, if being generous) land.

Like you said, he's always been a bit creepy. Today he seems particularly trolly/creepy.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/19917483#19917483
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that guy needs help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RSP's favorite bruthah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Hanks should make a soccer movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
TheChin! wrote:
RSP's favorite bruthah

Goddamn it, Chin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Tom Hanks should make a soccer movie.

Maybe Tom Hanks could be a soccer coach trying to unionize the teachers at his Catholic high school?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.