Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to demo Dice Town at GenCon. Here are some first impressions:

- It's fun.
- You have some interesting choices.
- Military is a bit odd. You can turn off other players' buildings with it, but generally at the cost of one victory point. This doesn't seem very worth it, especially with more players (but even just with two).
- Because the military thing isn't very worth it, it's mostly multiplayer solitaire (but the game that's there is a fun one).

If be happy to entertain any questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you meant Dice City.

In regards to military, could turning off a building cause the other player to not gain multiple victory points, making it a...almost net gain in a weird way for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruskicowboy wrote:
I assume you meant Dice City.

In regards to military, could turning off a building cause the other player to not gain multiple victory points, making it a...almost net gain in a weird way for you?

Ha... Yes... Yes I did mean Dice City.

The way the rules were explained to me, turning off a building does not strip it of its inherent VP value. You can't trigger its effect while deactivated. You can deactivate it by spending any rolled die (essentially, you can turn it back on by whiffing an action.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Bigler
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family also did a demo for Dice City and liked it well enough that we ordered it on Miniature Market.
I would agree that the Military seemed a bit odd, but I don't believe we fully understood all of the rules for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hudson
United States
Jonesboro
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed the demo. Had two teens with me that are typically just into MTG and heavier games. I had zero hopes that they would like the game. They both walked away saying they enjoyed it and would play it again with me. I would like to play it a few more times to see if it would really hit the table often.

My only complaint were the player board color. For some reason they just seemed really bland. I am hoping it was just a prototype print off. The instruction manual had some really cool and bright artwork. I would love to see that carried over to the massive player boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I think that the use of military with other players is subtle in terms of decision-making.

The ability to use it to steal resources can be important, so should not be overlooked.

But essentially you net 1 less VP for attacking another player's building compared to using the same army strength when attacking the Bandits. The better you are at keeping track of who is doing well the better you are likely to understand when the loss of that one 1 VP to you is offset by negating a key location for that turn for another player. As someone noted, this is easier to see in a two-player game, but does apply to three and four players. Meaning that if you understand who is ahead of you in the game, your 1 VP loss, whilst putting you closer to some rivals, may actually gain you ground against your key rival.

Of course it is important for the game that as a strategy the bandits are a better choice as this both moves the game towards and end point and reduces the value of simply griefing someone as a strategy.

Overall my view, as a developer, is that Bandits are the military strategy, but that you have key tactical decisions to make within that strategy, which are different based on the number of players and the strategies they are using. And I like that the game sits in that space.

Hope that helps

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.