Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so I got the game this week and I'm in downright love with it, perhaps in ways that boarder on inapporpriate. However, despite this affection I'm stumped. My first game was a solo run with three heroes on Baron Blade. We whomped him soundly and cleanly. I figure okay let's try the other "difficulty 1 villain".

So I grab Omnitron. And I figure, Let's put him on the Mars base. Rampaging Robot in space? Sure!!!

Then I grab my three heroes in what seems like a nice set up. The patriot, the speedster and the walking tank. We should totally have this. 3 hours later, I've played three games (two with cards and one on the app) and I've lost all of them. Now the first loss was because I forgot about Omnitrons Electric Bomb thingy and it blew up and we all died. Second game was more of a battle of attrition that we slowly lost, and the last game, was one where I just couldn't keep the cards in my hands to nuke the bomb when it popped up again.

It seems that given the fact that a lot of his Omnitron seems to be about drones and not the (H) mechanic he's really more for 4+ heroes?

Or do I suck? I could suck. It's quite possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Legacy is awesome in pretty much any game but his ability really shines with more heroes, specifically ones that have damage dealing powers. Tachyon deals damage but not consistently. Bunker is much more of a toss up. He can easily not get any of his weapons and be useless. Against omnitron, you will get rolled if you don't have any reliable damage dealing. Also Mars base dumps out pervasive red dust which will ruin bunker. Omnitron has sedative flechettes which will wipe your ongoing cards so it's definitely an uphill battle.

Try Legacy, tempest, and Haka, Fanatic, or Ra if you only want to play 3 heroes. You want to be able to deal 7 damage a turn to make sure and wipeout omnitron's weapons.

Also be aware that you can just plain lose if electropulse (sp?) explosive comes out back to back at the beginning of a game. This makes omnitron one of the most random villains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally Agree with the other comment.
Legacy is one of the best heroes, but is much better in games with more heroes. He's also better with high splash damage heroes, with Tempest being the prime example.
Tachyon I have found to be very hit or miss as well. Either you get the right draws of her burst cards, or you don't. She has some utility with the Environment/Ongoing destruction (Blinding Speed) and damage redirection (Synaptic Interruption), but is mostly a one trick pony. In a matchup against Omni you may need to hold the Blinding Speeds for Adaptive Plating Subroutine (making Omni immune to the most recent damage type) depending on who is doing what damage. I've had cases where all my damage dealers were my heavy damage dealers were back to back in turn order and both doing melee/projectile damage.
Bunker is a weak hero (in the bottom 5 non-variants, and either he or AZ is the worst hero in the base set), and if he is going to be your main damage dealer in a 3 player game you are going to probably have problems.

Based on http://x.gray.org/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-difficulty-sco..., you should have ~30% chance of losing with this set up. Based on the stats I've pulled from the tracking project, I would guess around 40% chance of losing. Three player games are hard almost regardless of the combination, with only 65% chance of winning, which is probably a higher than the actual winning percentage since most people who log to the tracking site are probably above average players.

You mentioned villain difficulty, and my recommendation is to ignore that. The list on the link is likely a much more accurate list of difficulties, are least relative to each other. There are some weird exceptions, like The Dreamer is as harder than Iron Legacy 5 player but relatively easy 3 player. Omnitron is an example of a Villain that is relative highly impacted by number of players (much easier as you ad more players). He goes from being a slightly hard 3 player, to an slightly easy 4 players, to one of the easiest 5 player villains.

So my guess is you don't suck.

Charles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrOsterman wrote:
I'm in downright love with it, perhaps in ways that boarder on inapporpriate.

I know that feeling. I recently passed 100 plays, and I've had the game less than 2 years.

Quote:
It seems that given the fact that a lot of his Omnitron seems to be about drones and not the (H) mechanic he's really more for 4+ heroes?

No you can still beat him with 3. I'm an average (at best) player, and I am above 50% win rate with Omnitron. I rarely play 4 heroes.

I think the problem is that both Omni and the Mars Base have equipment destruction effects, so if you play with an equipment-heavy character like Bunker (or Wraith, or Absolute Zero), you are basically using two and a half heroes, instead of the usual three.

It sounds like you're trying to carefully play around the Electro-pulse Explosive. Usually that's a good idea, but if you're having problems, maybe you should try playing around Tech Singularity and Red Dusts instead, and not worry about the EPE. Also, I'm sure you've noticed this, but you can give yourself 2 turns to deal with EPE if you have Tachyon hold onto Hypersonic Assault (stops targets from dealing damage). Since Omni has no discard effects (and Wagner has only voluntary discards), you can usually sit on one or two important cards for a long time.

Hmm, then again, you also need to hold onto Blinding Speed (destroy ongoing), because Omni's Adaptive Plating will wreck your ability to do damage. Bunker won't be able to make use of multiple projectile weapons, and Legacy and Tachyon will interfere with each others' melee damage.

Finally, this would make me a little nervous, but you could always go for the Danger Sense / Oxygen Leak combo to kill everything on the table except Legacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips.

I played a game on the app today with Legacy, Tachyon, Bunker and added in Fanatic. It was ~barely~ a win but that was because two things went wrong:

a) I had all damage routed to Legacy who was immune to the Electrobomb as well. Thus I was ignoring the bomb to focus on Omnitron. Sadly an environment card (I moved to Megalopilis) came up that changed all damage to be melee. And... that was it for Legacy. And most of the team.... Two turns later Omnitron destroyed all equipment and that was the end of Bunker.

b) The other oh crap moment was at the very end when I went for the kill on Fanatic using her "damage yourself to damage the other guy". I thought that the effect was simutanious and instead I just ended up killing her with Omni still at 4 HP.

Thankfully Tachyon was able to finish him off the next turn....

Say what you will the (H) mechanic was the least used in the game; more heroes actually makes that dang bot easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrOsterman wrote:
b) The other oh crap moment was at the very end when I went for the kill on Fanatic using her "damage yourself to damage the other guy". I thought that the effect was simutanious and instead I just ended up killing her with Omni still at 4 HP.

In the app, there should be an option to rewind turns (there is in the PC version at least, not sure if that's what you're using). I have no qualms about doing it when a rule doesn't work how I expected or if I accidentally clicked the wrong thing. Doing it when I've seen cards is a little more sketchy, of course.

One side comment about Tachyon - she is remarkably good when paired with Visionary. Using Visionary's power to make Tachyon draw two and discard one reduces variance in her deck and gets Bursts in her trash. Really good. For a similar reason, I like using Super Scientist Tachyon on the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrOsterman wrote:

I've done that before in the app, only using Absolute Zero instead of Fanatic. It's sort of funny and annoying at the same time.

Quote:
One side comment about Tachyon - she is remarkably good when paired with Visionary.

I find that Visionary makes all heroes remarkably good. For 3-person teams, she is arguably a better booster than Legacy (although Legacy + Fanatic is awesome too).

Also, given the context of this thread, it should also be said that she has a fairly ridiculous one-card-win against Omnitron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
Quote:
One side comment about Tachyon - she is remarkably good when paired with Visionary.

I find that Visionary makes all heroes remarkably good. For 3-person teams, she is arguably a better booster than Legacy (although Legacy + Fanatic is awesome too).

True. I have had games where the things Visionary provided weren't as useful as just having more damage, but yeah, usually drawing more cards plus the various awesome utility things she can do is strong. I just wanted to mention her in regards to Tachyon, as the discard is almost as valuable as the draw.

Quote:
Also, given the context of this thread, it should also be said that she has a fairly ridiculous one-card-win against Omnitron.

I don't know about that one. I don't really remember what Omnitron does - I think I've only played him once. Got frustrated when he blew up all my stuff and decided he was way tougher than his difficulty 1 rating would imply. I'm not sure if I would still have that opinion after having some more experience with the game (I think I've beaten every villain available in the app at least once, EXCEPT Omnitron), but I liked Ambuscade a lot better as a "next-step-after-Blade" villain. He does pretty good damage, but doesn't mess with your setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:

this happened in a game at BGG.COM with one of my friends playing The Visionary. Everyone except for him was in a panic when the Electo Pulse hit the table. Until The Visionary played Wrest the Mind on it.

Though it was, as another player said "pure cheese". Since we were well on our way to a quick lose until then, and having the sudden inversion felt very off. And pretty unsatisfying to be honest.

Charles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChazIsidore wrote:

Though it was, as another player said "pure cheese". Since we were well on our way to a quick lose until then, and having the sudden inversion felt very off. And pretty unsatisfying to be honest.

Charles

"If you did it and lived, you probably did it right." - Anonymous

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is NOTHING cheesy about Wrest the Mind. In probably half the games where she draws it, Visionary is unable to use it effectively.

It's a special purpose card for dealing with Big Damage Monsters. Visionary has a LOT of special purpose cards; that's her main schtick.

She doesn't do consistent damage, almost never does killer damage, can't heal herself or others. She would be a weak hero except... except that when she gets the right cards at the right time, she is spectacular.

That's her job Give her credit.

Oh, and OP... I've gotten in more than two hundred games table top and electronic, and I consider Omnitron an easy villain... but I've lost to him the last two times I've played him. Any villain can defeat any group of heroes in any given game... and vice versa. That's what makes the game worth playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think the reason omnitron is such a wimp and ridiculously tough is that He is more swingy than most other villains. His cards tend to be either ho hum or ridiculously over powered. And when they come out is key. Sedative Flechettes of the equipment destroying one (can't remember the name right now) are devastating late game, but ridiculous if they pop up in the early turns. The explosive is great early game, but a pushover late game.

Part of the reason Visionary is so awesome is that she can help control the swinginess of villain decks. In fact alternate visionary is even better. To a lesser extent, so can Wraith with infrared eyepiece. Omnitron has a two card draw every other turn and that is one of the only times you can't influence what comes out when. I like visionary, but eoud prefer a damage dealer.

I also think tachyon goes from a b list to an a list hero in both her team leader tachyon card and the sentinels app promo card. Both of those make her a beast. It's regular tachyon that is hit or miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game villains were originally designed w/out the scaling factor. Though the scaling factor was added later, it seems to have less of an effect than for later villains.

Legacy's Galvanize is considerably less effective on a three hero team than on four or five hero teams.

Bunker is the only consistent hitter of the three and is particularly vulnerable to equipment destruction, which both Omnitron and Wagner Mars Vase has. On top of that, Bunker's consistent hitting is slow-build, so he's not only vulnerable, but it's extra dangerous if he loses his equipment.

Omnitron does both ongoing and equipment destruction, so the more you can rely on one-shots and the more you can control the villain deck the better. The only real deck control you have, though, is Bunker's Foam Grenade, and that won't slow down the villain.

Omnitron's cards are very swingy, so the more you can control the deck and/or have cards ready to deal with the EPEs, the better. Hypersonic is the best tool amongst those three heroes.

Probably your best bet is to focus on damage reduction and tanking in order to stay alive longer while Tachyon builds up to a few Lightspeed Barages. Omnicannon will be unreliable because of the environment destruction. You might have Legacy focus on things like Lead From the Front and Next Evolution to tank, or Motivational Charge to give out hit points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.