GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,505 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

Kakerlakensuppe» Forums » Rules

Subject: How to explain the rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This game can be a bit confusing. I guess that is its point; if it weren't confusing, people would rarely ever make a mistake and the game would be dull!

For what it is worth, here's how I explain the game when teaching it. I've embellished the details a bit to try to make the basic rules more easily graspable. I'm not sure that I've succeeded but here it is:

You are a bunch of soup-loving, repetition-hating cockroaches exploring a kitchen.

As you turn over a card from your pile, you announce the vegetable you find, UNLESS your card matches anything from the previous turn, that is, unless (i) your card matches the vegetable card previously played, OR(ii) your card matches the vegetable previously announced out loud. In either of those cases, as a repetition-hating roach you must lie and announce a different vegetable.

But there is more: some of the vegetables are raw and some are in soup. If you play a taboo card (a card with a particular kind of vegetable X'ed out), then that means that that vegetable is in soup, not raw. When you play that card, or when you later play a card with that vegetable on it, then you are too busy eating soup to announce a vegetable. Instead, you SLURP. Or more correctly, you slurp UNLESS the person before you slurped, in which case (as a repetition-hating roach) you must say "Mmmmmm!"

The taboo card has one other effect. Since the vegetable it denotes is in soup -- that is, is a soup vegetable rather than a raw vegetable -- then when you play a raw vegetable card and must lie, you cannot lie by naming the soup vegetable. You must name another raw vegetable.

That's it. Still confusing, but like I said at the start, if there were no potential for confusing the game would not work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.