Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched the Dice Tower's review, and Tom obviously likes it, but did imply that it was a pricey endeavor. Watching the video, it does look like a good game that I woudl like, but between buying the game and the "extras" it's almost $200; I already spent $150 on mare Nostrum, and they seem to sort of scratch the same itch...?

Is the game really that good that it's worth that much money? Or should I try to wait until it (hopefully) comes down later?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
I watched the Dice Tower's review, and Tom obviously likes it, but did imply that it was a pricey endeavor. Watching the video, it does look like a good game that I woudl like, but between buying the game and the "extras" it's almost $200; I already spent $150 on mare Nostrum, and they seem to sort of scratch the same itch...?

Is the game really that good that it's worth that much money? Or should I try to wait until it (hopefully) comes down later?

Just as a point of reference I spent $167 to kick start it with all the extras and I put $158 into Mare Nostrum and got everything except the big game mat. I love civ games a lot and I think based on my read of the rules they will likely scratch a different itch within the same genre. Both have earned high marks for mechanics and game play as well. I'm glad to be adding both to my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's not worth it. I don't really see anything "deluxe" about it to justify the price. It's just that Eagle-Gryphon games are much more expensive than similar games from other publishers (which wasn't the case when Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery was released). Anyway, this is essentially a worker placement game and has nothing to do with Mare Nostrum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
The previous printing is a fantastic game that needed a new edition to fix some annoying graphic design problems. It's one of my favorite games and was worth every bit of the $40+shipping I paid for it and the expansion ($20) made it even better.

I wanted the new printing, but like you, I saw that they were overcharging for the game, and unnecessary extras to boost the cost even more, such as asking people to buy a whole new set of player minis for a new faction, when all they need was a player board with the new power printed on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is very good and since i do not own the previous edition i backed the game on Spieleschmiede. I think the game is worth the price and the upgraded components are done well (i have not received the game yet so this statement is based on previews only). However i do not think the extras are necessary. The extra colors are useless. So to answer your question, 200$ (all the extras) - no, but 129$ for the deluxe edition only - yes.

Edit: I also backed Mare Nostrum and i do not think it scratches the same itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll get a lot of awesomeness just in the base game. It's still one of the best worker placement games. You get 6 sets of player pieces and player boards (the original game only went up to 5 players).

The only upgrade I would recommended is the extra trade good tokens and building tiles for the World side of the board. For a few bucks more you'll get to use the back side of the board and get a somewhat different game play experience.

Other than that, you really don't need any of the other upgrades. The metal coins are simply fantastic, but the plastic coins are cool too, so even that upgrade isn't a must have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
You'll get a lot of awesomeness just in the base game. It's still one of the best worker placement games. You get 6 sets of player pieces and player boards (the original game only went up to 5 players).

The only upgrade I would recommended is the extra trade good tokens and building tiles for the World side of the board. For a few bucks more you'll get to use the back side of the board and get a somewhat different game play experience.

Other than that, you really don't need any of the other upgrades. The metal coins are simply fantastic, but the plastic coins are cool too, so even that upgrade isn't a must have.

You don't need the extra nations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:

Ultimately, that is a purely subjective assessment. For some, it is a great investment well worth every penny. For others, it's a complete waste of time and money.

For myself, I won't be able to say until I have the game in my hands. Depending on the overall production quality, I may be ecstatic or depressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
mvettemagred wrote:

You don't need the extra nations?

Only if you want to play with more different colors. The maximum number of players if 6 with or without the extra nations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is really good. Hard to say it's worth the $150 mark for all the shiny stuff, but you could probably try to get a used original copy that goes for around $50 and have just as much fun. The new extra stuff are not necessary at all. An analogy would be like, do you need a spoiler on a car?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I'm a bit of a minimalist, so using wooden cubes instead of minis would have been just fine for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
The game is really good. Hard to say it's worth the $150 mark for all the shiny stuff, but you could probably try to get a used original copy that goes for around $50 and have just as much fun. The new extra stuff are not necessary at all. An analogy would be like, do you need a spoiler on a car?

No, but they look pretty damn cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
ayejae wrote:

No, but they look pretty damn cool

Exactly! coollaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gabbert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed E:AoD for $114 (EB plus $15 shipping, no add-ons), then dropped my pledge (a Kickstarter first for me) in part because of the price.

I backed MN for $60 (EB plus FREE shipping, no add-ons) and stayed on to the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so maybe it's the completionist in me or I have a bad case of AD, BUT I have to say that when I play a game with all its potential bits and pieces, it just makes me happy on top of the game play. I'm sure game purists will say I'm being superficial to the game itself, but it just feels more thematic to move a mini rather than a chit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
Ok, so maybe it's the completionist in me or I have a bad case of AD, BUT I have to say that when I play a game with all its potential bits and pieces, it just makes me happy on top of the game play. I'm sure game purists will say I'm being superficial to the game itself, but it just feels more thematic to move a mini rather than a chit.

I'm with you there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
I was also a dropout at the last minute. In order to mitigate shipping I was into a few add on games. I was also a winner of the Francis Drake competition so I would have got that for free (just shipping cost)... and I passed that up shake

In the end I think the shipping cost to UK killed it for me. I'm going to hopefully get a 2nd hand copy of the original game once the deluxe version is received and people start getting used to the changes.

Dropping out on this KS and a few other KS's not turning out to be that good value have put me off KS TBH. Trickerion may well turn out to be my last for a good while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
simon_j_barnes wrote:
I was also a dropout at the last minute. In order to mitigate shipping I was into a few add on games. I was also a winner of the Francis Drake competition so I would have got that for free (just shipping cost)... and I passed that up shake

In the end I think the shipping cost to UK killed it for me. I'm going to hopefully get a 2nd hand copy of the original game once the deluxe version is received and people start getting used to the changes.

Dropping out on this KS and a few other KS's not turning out to be that good value have put me off KS TBH. Trickerion may well turn out to be my last for a good while.

I'm way down as well. I used to probably have 5 or so going at once. Now I only have Keyflower (since I don't own it yet) and I signe dup for Res Publica 2230, but I'm still on the fence on that one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:

I'm with you there.

I'm that way as well. If there's a deluxe version, I'd want to get that one. I like to trick out my games with nicer pieces. It's terrible for my wallet, but I think it does improve the experience for all the players, even if they don't all realize it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
simon_j_barnes wrote:
I was also a winner of the Francis Drake competition so I would have got that for free (just shipping cost)...

Wait, did they had a competition with a game as a prize, but shipping was on the winner?! Wow! Only Eagle... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
simon_j_barnes wrote:
I was also a winner of the Francis Drake competition so I would have got that for free (just shipping cost)...

Wait, did they had a competition with a game as a prize, but shipping was on the winner?! Wow! Only Eagle... shake

You had to be a backer to win, there was a random draw of the backer number and anyone who was drawn would receive Francis Drake along with Empires Age of Discovery. In dropping out of the KS he was no longer eligible to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelteel wrote:
In dropping out of the KS he was no longer eligible to win.

That's not the point. He said he would have to pay the shipping cost of the game he won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That campaign was so poorly planned and managed. In the end I stuck around for the shinies, but it was definitely despite the management.

That being said, I actually like Eagle Gryphon and hope they learn from their mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Kelteel wrote:
In dropping out of the KS he was no longer eligible to win.

That's not the point. He said he would have to pay the shipping cost of the game he won.

Yes, since his prize was the game shipped together with his pledge. Without pledge no free of charge shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
That campaign was so poorly planned and managed. In the end I stuck around for the shinies, but it was definitely despite the management.

Yeah, i also considered dropping out because of how the campaign was done and i also had my issues with the german campaign. But now i am very glad i did not drop out. Not only do i think we got a good deal in the end, the campaign management after the funding period was also very good.
Regularly updates and the delivery seems to be just around the corner. My other Kickstarters are either silent with no real updates at all or the delivery is/was delayed for months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.