True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When he had finished praying, Jesus left with his disciples and crossed the Kidron Valley. On the other side there was a garden, and he and his disciples went into it.

Now Judas, who betrayed him, knew the place, because Jesus had often met there with his disciples. So Judas came to the garden, guiding a detachment of soldiers and some officials from the chief priests and the Pharisees. They were carrying torches, lanterns and weapons.

Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, "Who is it you want?"

"Jesus of Nazareth," they replied.

"I am he," Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) When Jesus said, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground.

Again he asked them, "Who is it you want?"

"Jesus of Nazareth," they said.

Jesus answered, "I told you that I am he. If you are looking for me, then let these men go." This happened so that the words he had spoken would be fulfilled: "I have not lost one of those you gave me."

Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant's name was Malchus.)

Jesus commanded Peter, "Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?"

Then the detachment of soldiers with its commander and the Jewish officials arrested Jesus. They bound him and brought him first to Annas, who was the father-in-law of Caiaphas, the high priest that year. Caiaphas was the one who had advised the Jewish leaders that it would be good if one man died for the people.

Simon Peter and another disciple were following Jesus. Because this disciple was known to the high priest, he went with Jesus into the high priest’s courtyard, but Peter had to wait outside at the door. The other disciple, who was known to the high priest, came back, spoke to the servant girl on duty there and brought Peter in.

"You aren't one of this man's disciples too, are you?" she asked Peter.

He replied, "I am not."

It was cold, and the servants and officials stood around a fire they had made to keep warm. Peter also was standing with them, warming himself.

Meanwhile, the high priest questioned Jesus about his disciples and his teaching.

"I have spoken openly to the world," Jesus replied. "I always taught in synagogues or at the temple, where all the Jews come together. I said nothing in secret. Why question me? Ask those who heard me. Surely they know what I said."

When Jesus said this, one of the officials nearby slapped him in the face. "Is this the way you answer the high priest?" he demanded.

"If I said something wrong," Jesus replied, "testify as to what is wrong. But if I spoke the truth, why did you strike me?" Then Annas sent him bound to Caiaphas the high priest.

Meanwhile, Simon Peter was still standing there warming himself. So they asked him, "You aren't one of his disciples too, are you?"

He denied it, saying, "I am not."

One of the high priest's servants, a relative of the man whose ear Peter had cut off, challenged him, "Didn't I see you with him in the garden?" Again Peter denied it, and at that moment a rooster began to crow.

Then the Jewish leaders took Jesus from Caiaphas to the palace of the Roman governor. By now it was early morning, and to avoid ceremonial uncleanness they did not enter the palace, because they wanted to be able to eat the Passover. So Pilate came out to them and asked, "What charges are you bringing against this man?"

"If he were not a criminal," they replied, "we would not have handed him over to you."

Pilate said, "Take him yourselves and judge him by your own law."

"But we have no right to execute anyone," they objected. This took place to fulfill what Jesus had said about the kind of death he was going to die.

Pilate then went back inside the palace, summoned Jesus and asked him, "Are you the king of the Jews?"

"Is that your own idea," Jesus asked, "or did others talk to you about me?"

"Am I a Jew?" Pilate replied. "Your own people and chief priests handed you over to me. What is it you have done?"

Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place."

"You are a king, then!" said Pilate.

Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. In fact, the reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."

"What is truth?" retorted Pilate. With this he went out again to the Jews gathered there and said, "I find no basis for a charge against him. But it is your custom for me to release to you one prisoner at the time of the Passover. Do you want me to release 'the king of the Jews'?"

They shouted back, "No, not him! Give us Barabbas!" Now Barabbas had taken part in an uprising.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Most excellent! How wise our God is!

It's interesting how Jesus says 'I AM he". From what I know, the 'he' is added. And we know what name the Lord told Moses.


The interaction with Pilate is also interesting: the Lord asks him whether Pilate's opinion is from outside sources, or if he is forming his opinion from inside himself. This correlates what Jesus told Peter in Matthew 16:17, "blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven." And also reference 1st Corinthians 2:11, "No one can know a person's thoughts except that person's own spirit, and no one can know God's thoughts except God's own Spirit."


God's Word is Truth.. and it is by that Word that the reality we live in was constructed, formed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I read a lot of these and appreciate that you continue to post them, even though I have never commented on any.

I am curious quozl, what are your thoughts are on the new Pope.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:
I read a lot of these and appreciate that you continue to post them, even though I have never commented on any.

I am curious quozl, what are your thoughts are on the new Pope.


Thanks.

I haven't followed what the new pope is doing. If you like, you can start a thread on him and ask people what they think of his actions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Edited out part:

Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant's name was Malchus.)

Malchus cried out, "Aaaah! Aaaaah! My Ear! Aren't you going to arrest him, he just cut off my freakin' ear!"

Jesus commanded Peter, "Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?"

Malchus implored the soldiers, "He's standing right there with his bloody sword and everything! I'm bleeding like a stuck goat over here! Arrest him or stab him or something!"

Then the detachment of soldiers with its commander and the Jewish officials arrested Jesus. They bound him and brought him first to Annas, who was the father-in-law of Caiaphas, the high priest that year. Caiaphas was the one who had advised the Jewish leaders that it would be good if one man died for the people.

Simon Peter and another disciple were following Jesus. Because this disciple was known to the high priest, he went with Jesus into the high priest’s courtyard, but Peter had to wait outside at the door. The other disciple, who was known to the high priest, came back, spoke to the servant girl on duty there and brought Peter in.

The whole way Malchus complained and moaned about his butchered ear, lamenting that the criminal who had wronged him was walking right behind them and that the soldiers should do their jobs and avenge his maiming
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems nobody really liked Malchus.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
The Edited out part:

Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant's name was Malchus.)

Malchus cried out, "Aaaah! Aaaaah! My Ear! Aren't you going to arrest him, he just cut off my freakin' ear!"

Jesus commanded Peter, "Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?"

Malchus implored the soldiers, "He's standing right there with his bloody sword and everything! I'm bleeding like a stuck goat over here! Arrest him or stab him or something!"

Then the detachment of soldiers with its commander and the Jewish officials arrested Jesus. They bound him and brought him first to Annas, who was the father-in-law of Caiaphas, the high priest that year. Caiaphas was the one who had advised the Jewish leaders that it would be good if one man died for the people.

Simon Peter and another disciple were following Jesus. Because this disciple was known to the high priest, he went with Jesus into the high priest’s courtyard, but Peter had to wait outside at the door. The other disciple, who was known to the high priest, came back, spoke to the servant girl on duty there and brought Peter in.

The whole way Malchus complained and moaned about his butchered ear, lamenting that the criminal who had wronged him was walking right behind them and that the soldiers should do their jobs and avenge his maiming


I remember as a young child learning bible stories the part about Peter cutting off the servant's ear and thinking it was really odd that the soldiers didn't seem to care at all about it. Peter cuts off his ear, Jesus says whoa, whoa, whoa, not cool man, then they arrest Jesus and there is no other mention of what happens to the servant or to Peter because of this.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In the other 3 gospels (Matthew, Mark, and Luke), Jesus does heal the ear which probably freaked everyone out and was why no arrest was made. It is quite odd in this account though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
quozl wrote:
In the other 3 gospels (Matthew, Mark, and Luke), Jesus does heal the ear which probably freaked everyone out and was why no arrest was made. It is quite odd in this account though.


It's kind of cool, really, being one of those few events all four gospel writers included.

Matthew seemed more interested in the lesson - "live by the sword, die by the sword."

Luke, the physician, sees fit to mention that Jesus did, in fact, heal the man's ear, which perhaps explains why nothing else came of it.

Mark mentions it, but in his customary brevity, doesn't make a big deal out of it.

John, writing after the first three gospels have achieved some level of circulation, decides to include the names of the two men involved(apparently deciding it was time somebody "ratted" Peter out). Since we're later told John was somehow acquainted with the high priest, it stands to reason he may have been the only one of the disciples who knew Malchus, the high priest's slave, by name.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sarxis wrote:
Most excellent! How wise our God is!

It's interesting how Jesus says 'I AM he". From what I know, the 'he' is added. And we know what name the Lord told Moses.


Checked the Diaglott and it looks like the "he" was indeed added, probably to conform to the rules of English grammar.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you make of Jesus' later words in Matthew's account, after the ear incident?

"Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gamesterinns wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
Most excellent! How wise our God is!

It's interesting how Jesus says 'I AM he". From what I know, the 'he' is added. And we know what name the Lord told Moses.


Checked the Diaglott and it looks like the "he" was indeed added, probably to conform to the rules of English grammar.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you make of Jesus' later words in Matthew's account, after the ear incident?

"Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?"


That the entirety of human history has been orchestrated since the beginning of this age. God could end all the war, the doubt, the suffering as well as the triumphs in an instant by revealing his Son along with his armies of angelic beings.. but what real benefit is that for us if we are not ready for it?

Our mortal lives have great purpose and is producing something of eternal value.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sarxis wrote:
gamesterinns wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
Most excellent! How wise our God is!

It's interesting how Jesus says 'I AM he". From what I know, the 'he' is added. And we know what name the Lord told Moses.


Checked the Diaglott and it looks like the "he" was indeed added, probably to conform to the rules of English grammar.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you make of Jesus' later words in Matthew's account, after the ear incident?

"Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?"


That the entirety of human history has been orchestrated since the beginning of this age. God could end all the war, the doubt, the suffering as well as the triumphs in an instant by revealing his Son along with his armies of angelic beings.. but what real benefit is that for us if we are not ready for it?


I thought Jesus' statement was intriguing in that he seems to be suggesting he would need to ask his Father to grant him authority over an army of angelic creatures in order to save himself, rather than suggesting he himself could easily summon such a force if he thought it was needed.

But, in line with your comment, perhaps the question is, how would it have fit in with God's timing of matters to send in the troops if he already had such action scheduled for another day? Twelve legions of angels could probably have wiped out all of humanity, if that had been God's purpose back then, but thankfully Jesus' next words were, "But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?" In the world we live in today, we might wonder why God doesn't just step in and do something, with many even questioning whether God exists due to his seeming inaction, but it might help to remember there may well be scriptures yet to "be fulfilled" and that things "must happen in this way" before God does finally take the more direct action so many are awaiting.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Eig
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
When Jesus said, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground.


Is the They here Jesus and his followers, or the Romans? I'm assuming Jesus and acolytes, but its not clear...

Quote:
It was cold, and the servants and officials stood around a fire they had made to keep warm. Peter also was standing with them, warming himself.


I didn't think it got that cold in April in Jerusalem. A quick peak at historical averages shows that the average low in early April is the high 40's. Guess it wouldn't take much to get it into the 30s. So a cold Spring.

Wonder how many historical sources there are for weather conditions in Judea in the mid-1st century? Would be interesting if you could cross reference this with something. Probably not.

Quote:
Pilate then went back inside the palace, summoned Jesus and asked him, "Are you the king of the Jews?"

"Is that your own idea," Jesus asked, "or did others talk to you about me?"

"Am I a Jew?" Pilate replied. "Your own people and chief priests handed you over to me. What is it you have done?"

Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place."

"You are a king, then!" said Pilate.

Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. In fact, the reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."

"What is truth?" retorted Pilate.


Jesus basically talks himself into being executed here with his wordy and misdirecting answers. Not that Pilate seems to care that much one way or the other...

Also - note that Pilate answers Jesus's question with a question... bit of giving him his own medicine.

Besides that, Pilate comes off well here. I do like his retort - What is Truth? Indeed, in this matter the truth is whatever account survives longest, and is most widely spread - regardless of whatever happened.

Perhaps Pilate is a bit of a prophet himself.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.