David Brennan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So I went to my store and they were starting a Shadows of Brimstone game. I joined in and made an outlaw.

Anyway, they played with the following rules.

When Dual Wielding you roll the to hit dice as normal. Before rolling for wounds you must assign each die to a target.

So if you are attacking 2 models and you roll 5 hits you must divide the hits anyway you want between the targets. So lets say I chose 2 on one and 3 on the other.

I roll the 2 wounds and I don't kill it. I can then choose to use one of my other targets wound dice on this target again, but must give up one die to do so. Thus I could roll on this target again, but would only roll 1 die on the 2nd target.

It was very interesting and really made me think about my Dual Wielding, versus easily to kill creatures much more challenging and interesting. I was wondering if anyone else had played this way. It made hand to hand combat a little better because the standard wound assignment rules were used for that.

So what does everyone think about this rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Unnecessary complication for my tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
That's.... way off from the normal mechanic. It's almost like a knee-jerk reaction to a problem that isn't really a problem.

I would likely feel differently if they were treating *every* attack that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brennan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I agree! But the guy told me everyone was dual wielding all the time, so they nerfed it by inventing the rule. No one was using close combat period.

Not sure I totally agree with him, but it did make playing the outlaw a little different.

Plus it was interesting to see people actually using close combat weapons even the for small things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dual wielding guns is already nerfed by the lack of critical hits. Might not seem like a big penalty at low levels, but it sure as heck hurts at higher levels when the enemy armour values go up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got my Gunslinger with the Outlaw gun belt, and I'm starting to think that it is the most powerful item in game in the right hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Irons
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, dual wielding is mostly already balanced. It's great at mowing down things that have low defense (0-2), where hits are wounding the monster more than 60% of the time. But for high defense (4+) the critical hits become much more important, where a non-critical will only be wounding about 30% of the time or less. It is especially noticeable with weapons like shotgun and The Judge, which have greater critical chances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brennan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I mis-spoke about the rule. I was just talking with one of the other players about it.

This is what the Store House rule was:

When you dual wield you can not critical and you may choose targets when rolling for wounds as normal, but if you switch to another target you must roll 1d6 on a 2+ you switch without incident. On anything else you lose one hit.

I didn't play it right. The player I was talking to told me I was wrong.

The rule still seem harsh, but not as bad now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Harrison
United States
Riverton
NJ
flag msg tools
That's a little more reasonable. Still, I don't understand the restriction to dual wielding guns. It really isn't that powerful compared to other things, if you know what you're doing.

Tho, that sounds like a fun house rule for "any time you roll more than one die to attack"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think dual-wielding guns is overrated, and a House Rule nerfing it is unnecessary.

The Gunslinger, the Outlaw, and the Twin Guns Bandido are the only Heroes where the option is compelling enough to lean that way by default. The rest of 'em either have an ability that makes other weapons just as good (or better), or lose enough armor piercing potential by giving up crits that the option has some decent competition. A Ranged-4+ Hero is basically giving up the equivalent of +1 dmg per Shot (on average) by equipping another gun, so I think its pretty competitive either way.

I tend to draw and switch depending on the situation. If Zombies are around, I'd rather have the crit potential. If the monsters are immune to crits, then moar shots plz.

Obviously if you have the Outlaw Gun Belt, then go nuts. Nothing can stop you now.

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.