GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,365 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Tragedy Looper» Forums » Rules

Subject: Police Officer's ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the Police Officer's interrupt ability to prevent a death do so during the Incident Phase (a suicide for example)? We decided it couldn't, since the Abilities phase had passed. Is that correct?

Cheers!
Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The "interrupt" clause seems to mean it can be used outside of the Goodwill Abilities phase, so it should be able to prevent an Incident Phase suicide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the ability would be useless if it didn't work in every phase.

The ways characters can die in the game (Basic Tragedy Set) are:

1: Day end: Killer kills the Key Person
2: Day end: Serial Killer kills someone
3: Incident: Murder Incident triggers
4: Incident: Suicide Incident triggers
5: Incident: Hospital Incident triggers
6: Incident: Faraway Murder Incident triggers
7: Abilities: Alien uses first Goodwill ability

If the death prevention ability could only be used in the abilities phase, the only death that could be prevented is type 7... which can only be initiated by the Protagonists, so it would never be useful, unless you want to test for Goodwill Refusal on those characters.

Thus, it should now be clear he can prevent most types of death. Note, though, that he cannot prevent his own death. That means he won't be useful in cases 2 and 5 (as he would be dying in these scenarios), but he could stop all the other ones (provided he is not chosen as the target).

Edit: Hmm... I thought I recalled a ruling by Zimeon that the Police Officer couldn't prevent his own death, but I can't find it. Perhaps I'm wrong there and he can be useful in cases 2 and 5 too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, that all makes sense. Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
If the Police Officer is the Serial Killer, he can attempt to kill someone and then save them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
If the Police Officer is the Serial Killer, he can attempt to kill someone and then save them.

OK, yes, I didn't detect that minor caveat.

Although I think the question over whether he can save himself is a lot more important. Either he's already dead, and hence cannot use his ability, or he interrupts his own death to prevent it. I'm not sure what is intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Either he's already dead, and hence cannot use his ability, or he interrupts his own death to prevent it. I'm not sure what is intended.

Thematically speaking, he's a police officer - he is intended to interrupt the murder/suicide before it occurs, as he cannot bring anyone to life.

By that logic he should be able to save himself.

The text itself also supports this:
Police Officer
5: (Once per Loop) Use as an Interrupt to prevent a death that just happened in this Location.

there are no conditions or limitations.
for example, other goodwill abilities include:
Rich man's Daughter
3: If in School or City: Put 1 Goodwill on any character in this Location.

Girl Student
2: Remove 1 Paranoia from any other student in this Location.

The Rich Man's Daughter can affect herself, while the Girl Student cannot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
However, a character that is dead cannot use its Goodwill ability. The wording on the card is very unclear, but hints that the death has occurred already, which would mean the Police Officer cannot use his ability, as he's a corpse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
However, a character that is dead cannot use its Goodwill ability. The wording on the card is very unclear, but hints that the death has occurred already, which would mean the Police Officer cannot use his ability, as he's a corpse.

Well the police officer is not an alien or a godly being, he prevents death rather than reverse it.
I do agree the wording is not as clear as i'd want it to be but it does say uses an INTERRUPT to PREVENT - to me that shows it happens before the death actually occurs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.