GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,978 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Final Wave 7 Spoilers from Gen Con! Adv. Homing Missiles, Crack Shot, + More! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these pictures all originally came from Team Covenant, but they are bouncing around the web everywhere. Let's discuss.

Adv. Homing Missiles:

K-Wing Dial:

Crack Shot:

Ion Projector and Maneuvering Fins:

I'm getting pretty excited about this wave.

The Adv. Homing Missiles are not what I expected. They will be absolutely insane on Maarek or Blount, and will scare Corran on just about anyone. Crack Shot is yet another interesting 1 cost EPT.

::Edit - Updating with better pictures as they become available.::
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, here's the rules for deploying the Nashtah Pup!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
ironhide1 wrote:
I don't think I expected no Red manuevers on the K-Wing.

Also, does the Pup always deploy facing forward, like it's flying away from the explosion? Can it escape backwards?

Yeah, it says to use the Pup's rear guides, so it is flying away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adv. Homing Missiles on Rhymer have range 1-3 (instead of 2). Add some Proton Bombs and you don't have to bust through shields to kill stuff.

"Bye-bye Corran Horn + R2-D2!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
I like that you have to be careful with the Nashtah pup when you deploy it, or it could be destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the *mechanic* on that adv homing missile, just...not really sure about the name of it. I mean, what about being a 'homing missile' gives it the ability to bypass shields? Should have been named 'mag pulse missile' or something like that. Not a big deal, I suppose, just...lore fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
I like the *mechanic* on that adv homing missile, just...not really sure about the name of it. I mean, what about being a 'homing missile' gives it the ability to bypass shields? Should have been named 'mag pulse missile' or something like that. Not a big deal, I suppose, just...lore fail.

I think it's the "Advanced" bit: the missile clearly has POWERGLOW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The K wing's maneuver dial is extremely good. Going to have to stress those beasts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Adv. Homing Missiles on Rhymer have range 1-3 (instead of 2). Add some Proton Bombs and you don't have to bust through shields to kill stuff.

"Bye-bye Corran Horn + R2-D2!"

Proton bombs might make him a bit spendy for their utility, but...

I definitely like the idea of putting VI on Rhymer, so he shoots/moves at skill 9, and then the adv homing missiles with extra munitions.

Puts him at 32 pts but...oof, he's a rather terrifying PS9 sniper for the effort. (Heck, for 35 puts you can get four shots of these off of him)He'll definitely put Corran back in his place. And anything with a regenerator Droid, for that matter. "Oh, so you can repair your shields, huh? That's cute..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tala Mare
msg tools
mb
Damn! Tie-B Scimitar, Advanced Homing, Proton Bomb = 26 points

1 too many~

In that case, Tie-P Cutlass, ExtraM x2, Advanced Homing, Proton Bomb = 33 points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talamare wrote:

Why put the crazy-expensive Proton Bomb on it?

TIE-B Scimitar + 2x Advanced Homing + Extra Munitions + Munitions Failsafe = 25 pts.

Take four of them! 16 Adv Homing shots - every one guaranteed to hit! (assuming you get the shot... )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Talamare wrote:

TIE-B Scimitar + 2x Advanced Homing + Extra Munitions + Munitions Failsafe = 25 pts.

Take four of them! 16 Adv Homing shots - every one guaranteed to hit! (assuming you get the shot... )

That's nasty.

Only problem is getting TLs on targets that will be in arc and at range 2 with your PS2 ships. Hence Rhymer.

But Rhymer + VI + 2x Adv Homers + Extra Munitions + Munition Failsafe is basically guaranteed 4x face-up damage cards. Maybe add Deathrain + Proton Bombs to finish the job. Because if you don't do enough face-up damage with Adv Homers and don't have another way to deal damage direct to hull, you'll end up having to blast through the shields after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
Maybe someday a Proton Torpedo will exist that is as vaguely playable as some of the newer missiles. Right now the best one is far and away Extra Munitions.

I'd like shield bypassing more if it was nichely restricted to trivially destroying some already rather frail/expensive ships while only randomly handicapping most of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Talamare wrote:

That's nasty.

Only problem is getting TLs on targets that will be in arc and at range 2 with your PS2 ships. Hence Rhymer.

But Rhymer + VI + 2x Adv Homers + Extra Munitions + Munition Failsafe is basically guaranteed 4x face-up damage cards. Maybe add Deathrain + Proton Bombs to finish the job. Because if you don't do enough face-up damage with Adv Homers and don't have another way to deal damage direct to hull, you'll end up having to blast through the shields after all.

Might as well add proton bombs to Rhymer. If it goes like my game Tuesday it is an instant. Course that opponent didn't shuffle his damage deck and all 7 direct hits were at the top versus my Vader crewed decimaor... Always shuffle that deck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Talamare wrote:

That's nasty.

Even Rhymer still has to hit. That's one of the nice things about having other folks shoot first - to strip off defensive tokens. He's going to be a thing, now, which is a nice change for him - but he really won't be as obscene as Blount is with this stupid thing.

"Hey, here ya go - here's a crit. What? No, I don't need to roll dice, why?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
iNano78 wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Talamare wrote:

That's nasty.

Even Rhymer still has to hit. That's one of the nice things about having other folks shoot first - to strip off defensive tokens. He's going to be a thing, now, which is a nice change for him - but he really won't be as obscene as Blount is with this stupid thing.

"Hey, here ya go - here's a crit. What? No, I don't need to roll dice, why?"

6 chances to explode a phantom in a single pop per deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tala Mare
msg tools
mb
XanderF wrote:
Talamare wrote:

====
BOOM
====

100 points

Pilots
------

Captain Jonus (22)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (26) x 3
TIE Bomber (16), Extra Munitions (2), Proton Rockets (3), Proton Bombs (5)

because Proton Bombs ignore shield

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talamare wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Talamare wrote:

====
BOOM
====

100 points

Pilots
------

Captain Jonus (22)

Guessing you missed the point where Adv Homing Missiles ignore shields, too, and are cheaper and easier to use than proton bombs? Also - why Jonus? You do realize he doesn't get to use his reroll ability on proton bomb attacks, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tala Mare
msg tools
mb
XanderF wrote:
Talamare wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Talamare wrote:

====
BOOM
====

100 points

Pilots
------

Captain Jonus (22)

Guessing you missed the point where Adv Homing Missiles ignore shields, too, and are cheaper and easier to use than proton bombs? Also - why Jonus? You do realize he doesn't get to use his reroll ability on proton bomb attacks, right?

Do you think a few Missiles will be enough for everything before you start getting picked off? The point of Proton Bombs is to cover more assault angles, and increase the amount of potential damage per round. Jonus is to help the missile fire but he could be drop for alternatives.

There are few ships that have significant more shields than hull, Adv Homing deal a max of 1 hull per ship per turn. If your normal shooting can do 2 damage per turn per ship, you have a fair chance of being equally as effective if you just shot them normally. Proton Bombs are designed to accelerate things, and 2 Proton Bombs for 7 points is a fair deal. I even see nice potential in dropping the missiles completely for

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (25)
TIE Bomber (16), Extra Munitions (2), Extra Munitions (2), Proton Bombs (5)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
Talamare wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Talamare wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Talamare wrote:

Take four of them! 16 Adv Homing shots - every one guaranteed to hit! :D (assuming you get the shot... ;) )

====
BOOM
====

100 points

Pilots
------

Captain Jonus (22)

Do you think a few Missiles will be enough for everything before you start getting picked off? The point of Proton Bombs is to cover more assault angles, and increase the amount of potential damage per round. Jonus is to help the missile fire but he could be drop for alternatives.

There are few ships that have significant more shields than hull, Adv Homing deal a max of 1 hull per ship per turn. If your normal shooting can do 2 damage per turn per ship, you have a fair chance of being equally as effective if you just shot them normally. Proton Bombs are designed to accelerate things, and 2 Proton Bombs for 7 points is a fair deal. I even see nice potential in dropping the missiles completely for

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (25)
TIE Bomber (16), Extra Munitions (2), Extra Munitions (2), Proton Bombs (5)

Extra Munitions is limited - you can't take two per ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see Rhymer w/ Adv Homing similar to Ten Numb w/ Mangler. Ten Numb is great against Soontir if he can get arc but still not great against most everything else as he dies too quickly. Rhymer will also die very fast but I think he will be a bit more useful than Ten.

This is my way of saying it won't be THAT big of a thing, although I'd be happy to be proved wrong. Come on peeps prove me wrong! We need more bomber.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:
I see Rhymer w/ Adv Homing similar to Ten Numb w/ Mangler. Ten Numb is great against Soontir if he can get arc but still not great against most everything else as he dies too quickly. Rhymer will also die very fast but I think he will be a bit more useful than Ten.

This is my way of saying it won't be THAT big of a thing, although I'd be happy to be proved wrong. Come on peeps prove me wrong! We need more bomber.

Well, it's a 21% chance of exploding an A wing, E wing, Z-95, or Phantom on a hit. and a slightly better chance of blowing up an X wing, B wing, TIE, TIE interceptor, TIE defender, TIE advance, or M3A in 2 hits.

I think that's better odds than with Ten Numb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
The Adv. Homing missiles are extra brutal too since you can't use the Draw Their Fire EPT to defend against it. Xizor's ability doesn't work against it either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starburst Q
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Lucky wrote:

Ion Projector and Maneuvering Fins:

Those Ion Projectors are going to make Oicunn happy. Ram someone head on, ionize them, then just bump them 'til they're dead.

Edit:add photo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starburst Q
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adv. Homing Missiles:

XanderF wrote:

Donkler wrote:
The Adv. Homing missiles are extra brutal too since you can't use the Draw Their Fire EPT to defend against it. Xizor's ability doesn't work against it either.

Perhaps there's your valid explanation on the name. Any missile who's damage/effect can't get transferred to another ship is clearly homing in on you in a more advanced way than it's non-advanced counterpart. As for dodging shields, maybe it's just that determined. Its pure will to hit its target is giving it a green lantern effect on the front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.