Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
On Wednesday, a teaser video staring Epic designer Rob Dougherty was posted to Facebook giving a glimpse at the first wave of promo cards for Epic Card Game.

The video can be seen here
https://www.facebook.com/EpicCardGame/videos/vb.376359675822...

These promo cards are included in the reward for all Gamer Tier pledge-level backers of the Epic Card Game Kickstarter campaign.
They will also be obtainable through tournament play and in-store events, beginning this week at GenCon.

Elder Greatwurm: 1G Wild Wurm Champion 30/30

"This card can't gain powers or abilities.
(For example, it can't gain blitz or breakthrough.)"

Teleport: 1G Sage Event

"Remove target champion from play, then return it to play (as a new champion)
under its owner's control, either expended or prepared with blitz. Draw a card."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
also, a 30/30 Champion?!
Don't tell anybody but there just might be 3 of these in my constructed deck.devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewkapish wrote:
also, a 30/30 Champion?!
Don't tell anybody but there just might be 3 of these in my constructed deck.devil

I will have plenty of Inner Demons and Bittens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kløve wrote:
andrewkapish wrote:
also, a 30/30 Champion?!

I will have plenty of Inner Demons and Bittens.

haha good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewkapish wrote:
also, a 30/30 Champion?!
Don't tell anybody but there just might be 3 of these in my constructed deck.:devil:

It is not so strong.
Basically any token factory can keep it at bay (like the Wolf or Evil leader) or it can be simply destroyed.
Practically immune to damage though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okocnar wrote:
andrewkapish wrote:
also, a 30/30 Champion?!

It is not so strong.
Basically any token factory can keep it at bay (like the Wolf or Evil leader) or it can be simply destroyed.

Of course, but I'd imagine one of the great things about Elder Greatwurm is that it's such an immediate threat that it forces your opponent to waste their resources searching for and playing an answer instead of fielding champions. It can block and survive just about any attack. And if I attack late-game and you don't have a board wipe in your hand, my little guys will start to pick apart your health while you're busy chump blocking my power champions. It's clear that even a 30/30 champ like Elder Greatwurm is certainly counterable. Even so, I can't see why it wouldn't be considered as an auto-add to just about any aggro deck.

And imagine this situation...
I'm hoping for a board wipe. In my hand I have Wither and Elder Greatwurm. I'm hoping you have Wave of Transformation or Zombie Apocalypse. My sacrifice EDW is gone — but with Wither in hand, those wolves or zombies aren't sticking around for long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewkapish wrote:
okocnar wrote:
andrewkapish wrote:
also, a 30/30 Champion?!

It is not so strong.

Of course, but I'd imagine one of the great things about Elder Greatwurm is that it's such an immediate threat that it forces your opponent to waste their resources searching for and playing an answer instead of fielding champions. It can block and survive just about any attack. And if I attack late-game and you don't have a board wipe in your hand, my little guys will start to pick apart your health while you're busy chump blocking my power champions. It's clear that even a 30/30 champ like Elder Greatwurm is certainly counterable. Even so, I can't see why it wouldn't be considered as an auto-add to just about any aggro deck.

And imagine this situation...
I'm hoping for a board wipe. In my hand I have Wither and Elder Greatwurm. I'm hoping you have Wave of Transformation or Zombie Apocalypse. My sacrifice EDW is gone — but with Wither in hand, those wolves or zombies aren't sticking around for long.

Better hope they're not Lying in Wait, or are channeling your Inner Demons, or have Palace Guard.

I'd much rather have the blue golem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewkapish wrote:

"Remove target champion from play, then return it to play (as a new champion)
under its owner's control, either expended or prepared with blitz. Draw a card."

If it is used "expended mode" does target champion gain blitz?

So is it:
A) (expended) OR (prepared with blitz)
B) (expended OR prepared) with blitz
?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A seems likely.

Nathan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rafal100 wrote:

So is it:
?

I read it as "A".

Here's what I'm curious about...
When Teleport is used to remove and return an opponent's champion, the returned champion would be expended and in a deploying state right? What if the returned expended champion already has Blitz?

For example... I Teleport an opponent's Forcemage Apprentice. When returned does her Blitz kick in? Could my opponent then play a 1G Sage to then prepare Forcemage Apprentice then use her [Expend Power] to deal 2 damage to a target?
If her Blitz would not trigger, I know she could still be prepared (ally ability) while in a deploying state to be used as a blocker. Clearly a terrible card to pick if your opponent still has their Gold to spend... just curious on the ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Davis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Choose one: expended OR prepared with blitz.

- Nathan
who totally loved writing the rules text for this card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Davis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
andrewkapish wrote:
When Teleport is used to remove and return an opponent's champion, the returned champion would be expended and in a deploying state right? What if the returned expended champion already has Blitz?

For example... I Teleport an opponent's Forcemage Apprentice. When returned does her Blitz kick in? Could my opponent then play a 1G Sage to then prepare Forcemage Apprentice then use her [Expend Power] to deal 2 damage to a target?
If her Blitz would not trigger, I know she could still be prepared (ally ability) while in a deploying state to be used as a blocker. Clearly a terrible card to pick if your opponent still has their Gold to spend... just curious on the ruling.

We added the (as a new champion) text to make it clear that the card is deploying, no matter which mode you choose. Yes, Forcemage Apprentice can still be prepared via her Ally Ability... but wait! She has blitz right on the card! So she will be able to expend to deal damage!

- Nathan
...who remembered Forcemage Apprentice has blitz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewkapish wrote:
rafal100 wrote:

So is it:
?

I read it as "A".

I read this card as "(expended) OR (prepared with blitz)" either but when "and" & "or" are in the same sentence without any indication of their priority that is inviting ambuiguity.

Teleport is probaly inspired by Momentary Blink
With added option of either
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiver...

So new Champion don't "remember" any choices , effects , damage etc. that was on the "original".
So if you are playing Teleport on YOUR Forcemage Apprentice:
Ally ability triggers for preparing original FA.
"New" FA comes into play - in chosen state, but ally trigger don't work on "this card" because this is "that card" now.

Even IF this trigger would happen (for example after playing made-up Preparation - Sage Event 1G "Prepare target champion. Draw two cards") you can't use "(Expend): deal 2 damage to a target" before trigger resolves. You don't have timing window for playing abilities when resolving triggers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Nathan. So here's yet another question...
This time on the nature of Ally Abilities.
Epic-Card-Game-Rule-Book-v2.pdf wrote:
These abilities trigger when you play a 1G card of the listed alignment. (Free cards do not trigger ally abilities.

Would a Teleported 1G Champion trigger ally abilities when returned to play as a new champion? Or is this not technically considered "playing" the returned champion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Davis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ally Abilities look at cards being "played" from hand only, by spending a gold, not being put into play by any other means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Davis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
rafal100 wrote:
So new Champion don't "remember" any choices , effects , damage etc. that was on the "original".
"New" FA comes into play - in chosen state, but ally trigger don't work on "this card" because this is "that card" now.

Even IF this trigger would happen (for example after playing made-up Preparation - Sage Event 1G "Prepare target champion. Draw two cards") you can't use "(Expend): deal 2 damage to a target" before trigger resolves. You don't have timing window for playing abilities when resolving triggers.

If you have Forcemage Apprentice in play, and you play Teleport on your own FA, her Ally Ability will trigger. Just like it would if you played Wave of Transformation. But in either case, the original FA is no longer in play, so it can't be prepared. In the case of Teleport, it is a "new champion" and in the case of Wave of Transformation, FA is on the bottom of your deck.

- Nathan
Editor / Manager, WWG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NathanWWG wrote:
rafal100 wrote:

If you have Forcemage Apprentice in play, and you play Teleport on your own FA, her Ally Ability will trigger. Just like it would if you played Wave of Transformation. But in either case, the original FA is no longer in play, so it can't be prepared. In the case of Teleport, it is a "new champion" and in the case of Wave of Transformation, FA is on the bottom of your deck.

- Nathan
Editor / Manager, WWG

Yes, thank you for confirmation.
I just wanted to emphasize that

Quote:
Yes, Forcemage Apprentice can still be prepared via her Ally Ability

DOESN'T concern the situation when Forcemage is target of Teleport.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tumbarello
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Will promo pack ever be available for purchase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumby1974 wrote:
Will promo pack ever be available for purchase?

Yes, eventually. No exact date has been announced and I don't think that all of the cards have been used as tournament promos yet, so not soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.