GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,485 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
49 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: How do pro-life messages influence voters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So with ObamaCare well entrenched and the gay marriage battle lost, is abortion being shoved to the front of the stage as the social wedge issue again? Why the sudden refocusing on abortion after a few years on the back burner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would not the how the message was presented in the videos affect how they are received?

As a for instance, if the video had Spanish subtitles it might appeal more to Hispanics than one that did not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
What were the ads? I'm reserving judgment on this, because there's also the complicating factor of one candidate being a woman and one being a man. I'm wondering what the tone of the messaging was given that, besides focusing on pro-life.

What is a bit interesting is that women trend towards pro-choice in the younger age groups then do men by about 6 points, so I wonder if there is "squishiness" in that 6 points due to the women being polled being torn but feeling that they should be in the pro-choice camp given that they are women. Then they'd be more easily influenced by pro-life ads.

But I'm probably overanalyzing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously democrat women, young voters and Hispanics are pussies, AmIRite guys? Hoo-yah! We don't let any tear-jerking videos affect us, that's for pussies! Callous old white guys for the win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
So with ObamaCare well entrenched and the gay marriage battle lost, is abortion being shoved to the front of the stage as the social wedge issue again? Why the sudden refocusing on abortion after a few years on the back burner?

Congrats at answering your own question ><

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

I just hate this. There are perfectly reasonable, solid, conservative solutions to problems we are facing, but it all gets muddled and mucked up with guilt by association when the focus starts getting onto things that will never get sorted out and just makes people dig in their heels. Yeah, the troops get rallied, but nothing gets done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
windsagio wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

I just hate this. There are perfectly reasonable, solid, conservative solutions to problems we are facing, but it all gets muddled and mucked up with guilt by association when the focus starts getting onto things that will never get sorted out and just makes people dig in their heels. Yeah, the troops get rallied, but nothing gets done.

It's also poor long-term planning.

Nativism and Gay Rights were good causes to use in the past, but now the GOP is taking huge hits because it's stuck with the baggage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

What about all those chopped up babies during the gay marriage battles? I know gay people being married is much more damaging to society than killing babies and selling their parts for Lamborghinis, but they could have at least made some effort to get a video released while the Supreme Court was deliberating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a huge Plan-b supporter and think abortion in the first month is acceptable, after that I think its cruel. We now have science that shows brain activity, heartbeats etc etc, things we did not know in 1972.

I think once people see an actual abortion, they might change their minds.

If only a candidate had the balls to run a campaign TV ad with a real abortion. That would be fucking epic. under the "The Reasonable Access Law" I bet it would run. Fucking minds would be blown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
What about all those chopped up babies during the gay marriage battles? I know gay people being married is much more damaging to society than killing babies and selling their parts for Lamborghinis, but they could have at least made some effort to get a video released while the Supreme Court was deliberating.

^ Outing himself as a callous white man.

I'd say more flippant than callous.

I do have strong feelings about premature death and am against it in a wide variety of circumstances, including vanity abortions after the first trimester. I'm not so affected by tissue reuse of already aborted fetuses. If someone shows there is a profit chain that is causing doctors to encourage abortions in order to get more parts and get more money, I am on your side in a minute. So far, I see a badly regulated organization that doesn't have very strong safeguards against corruption, but hasn't quite reached the point where corruption has begun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Oh, . . . then watch the videos released so far, and welcome to my side.

Well, the first two didn't show any evidence of it, I'll try the second two when i get a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
Any thoughts about why white men are influenced the least? I'm thinking it's because they benefit the most from an abortion culture.

they wear probably alpha males unimpressed by tearjerker ads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
I thin once people see an actual abortion, they change their minds.

I only with a candidate had the balls to run a campaign TV ad with a real abortion. That would be fucking epic. under the "The Reasonable Access Law" I bet it would run. Fucking minds would be blown.

Would they then as comparison show a C-section and live birth on TV?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
after youve seen cannibla holocaust and salo 120 days of sodom an abortion vid doenst really shock you anymore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Any thoughts about why white men are influenced the least? I'm thinking it's because they benefit the most from an abortion culture.

Please explain your position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
Would they then as comparison show a C-section and live birth on TV?

In the USA, we already do. We have several medical shows that do this on a regular basis.The Abortion medical show would be breaking some real ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The article doesn't disclose their methods, and isn't published, outside of in this little blurb. In brief, it might be legit, but without publishing their results, we can't even say that men are the least affected -- they don't even say that. (They don't give a number for men, they just say women were the most affected. That's nice for popular reporting, but it's also a good way to make null results look better than they actually were.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
And surprise, surprise -- women actually don't favor abortion as much as those men think they do.

they may not favor watching other peoples abrotions but probably favor the choice of gettning one if needed be~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
"surprise, surprise"

The real surprise is that Drew turns out to have been Gomer Pyle all along! I knew he seemed off, but I could never quite figure it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Terwox wrote:
Please explain your position.

Sure. The idea that they can just "fix it" if they get a woman pregnant. You get to be promiscuous, and you can make your problem go away easily.

Now, you might say "Well, all men benefit from that," but I believe that "white culture" benefits most because white culture likes small families. Especially white, affluent people don't want that appearance of promiscuity, so the problem is "taken care of."

It's "frat boy" culture.

And for what it's worth, "my black friend" and I came to this same conclusion about white men. But perhaps we're both being racist.

There was another thought, too. That white men say they're in favor of abortion because they believe that's what they're supposed to say. White men, being perennially seen as "the source of all evil", are always testing the political winds, to figure out what positions they're supposed to hold to curry favor.

And surprise, surprise -- women actually don't favor abortion as much as those men think they do.

I... recognize the individual words, but I am unable to make any sense of the way you've arranged them together. Abortion makes it easier for men to be promiscuous than women? White men say they're in favor of abortion because that's what they're supposed to say? White men are always testing the political winds to figure out what positions they're supposed to hold to curry favor? (Favor with whom?) "Perhaps we're both being racist?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
"surprise, surprise"

The real surprise is that Drew turns out to have been Gomer Pyle all along! I knew he seemed off, but I could never quite figure it out.

Gawlee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Why does Drew assume that this is because white men are more resistant to the pro-life message as opposed to the other groups just being more receptive to it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
Well then, Rusty. Why do you think white men are the group most resilient to pro-life messages? I asked the question. I trying to figure it out. A couple of us both considered that white men might benefit more from abortion. And ability to be a "frat boy" without consequences seems to make sense.

But you tell me. (You and the idiots who thumbed your post.) Why are white men the demographic that's most resilient? Give me a plausible reason.

Having strong preexisting feelings on an issue- one way or another- is a key reason why sometimes messaging doesn't work. Their minds are made up, pro or con.

What this type of campaign is good for isn't changing minds- it"s stoking outrage. Abortion hasn't been a presidential level issue in some time- someone is trying to provoke outrage to make this a GOP wedge issue again, just in time for the primaries.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Well then, Rusty. Why do you think white men are the group most resilient to pro-life messages? I asked the question. I trying to figure it out. A couple of us both considered that white men might benefit more from abortion. And ability to be a "frat boy" without consequences seems to make sense.

But you tell me. (You and the idiots who thumbed your post.) Why are white men the demographic that's most resilient? Give me a plausible reason.

Here's a simple retort I'll repeat:

Perhaps they aren't? The press release is loaded with buzzwords -- the guy represents a firm that uses "creative application of randomized-controlled experiments." And they don't have a report.

And they don't talk about their methods.

And they don't talk about how many subjects they had, how much of an effect size, if any, they found... but meanwhile, they talked down about other media message reporting. (In fairness, their criticism is accurate, self-report isn't terribly reliable and is frequently used in this domain.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
Terwox wrote:
Here's a simple retort I'll repeat:

Perhaps they aren't? The press release is loaded with buzzwords -- the guy represents a firm that uses "creative application of randomized-controlled experiments." And they don't have a report.

And they don't talk about their methods.

And they don't talk about how many subjects they had, how much of an effect size, if any, they found... but meanwhile, they talked down about other media message reporting. (In fairness, their criticism is accurate, self-report isn't terribly reliable and is frequently used in this domain.)

who told you to be skecptical about news stories
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.