GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,154 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
MG
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently having a discussion in the 18XX forum about how it would be great to have 18XX as a category in BGG's advanced search. With more than 150 entries under the 18XX family and a very distinct set of characteristics that make it very unique among games in general, I believe it would deserve an entry as a category.

Many people would benefit from that, given that it would make possible to make searches such as "what are the 18XX games that play under four hours", "which 18XX games released in the last five years were rated by more than twenty people, averaged by rating", "what are the 18XX games for only two players", etc. If we could have 18XX as a searchable category, that would be awesome already.

Then, someone in the thread commented that something even more general and useful (but that perhaps would need more complicated coding) could perhaps be done: allowing any board game family to be a searchable item in the advanced search. In that case that would allow extremely powerful searches which would probably be very useful to those who like to try different combinations in advanced search to look for those hidden gems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
 Zero funds set aside for the study and preservation of
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
Making 18XX a category would be a category error. Extending search options would be cool, of course, and has been suggested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
Hacky workaround which works right now: Create a dummy user which adds all 18xx games to their collection. Then use advanced search exactly as desired, with "filter by collection" for that username. (It's a relatively new thing that you can filter by anyone's collection, not just by your own.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi
France
Paris
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lbleicher wrote:
Here's a quote from this thread, on which the author is proposing the creation of "Social Deduction" as a category:

Quote:
I asked one of the BGG Admins
Ted wrote:
Please please please can we have a Social Deduction category on BGG? It's a term that more and more people know, yet it isn't anywhere on BGG.

And the BGG Admin told me the rule:
BGG Admin wrote:
So, it sounds like in the past, any user proposing new categories/mechanics was asked to list 100 games that fit the criteria. If at least 100 games fit the bill, the addition is considered.

If you don't feel like going through that work, you can also feel free to post up a Geeklist and farm it out to the user base!

In the case of 18XX, we wouldn't even need to go through all the work of compiling a list of 100 games that fit the criteria, because it is already done in the 18XX family page. Should we simply send a link to this thread to one of the admins?

Given what is said in the quote block, 18xx seems to fit what's needed to get it's own category.

Also, by looking at the list of categories I can see several that seems to have the same scope as 18xx (Civilization, Dexterity, Trivia, ...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
 Zero funds set aside for the study and preservation of
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
wygo wrote:
Also, by looking at the list of categories I can see several that seems to have the same scope as 18xx (Civilization, Dexterity, Trivia, ...)

No, Trains is exactly the level and scope of a category. Finding a hundred 18XX games doesn't make it a category candidate any more than it makes it a mechanic candidate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a_traveler wrote:
Hacky workaround which works right now: Create a dummy user which adds all 18xx games to their collection. Then use advanced search exactly as desired, with "filter by collection" for that username. (It's a relatively new thing that you can filter by anyone's collection, not just by your own.)

Whoever makes this user should share the the userid with the rest of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you mentioned families in the thread title, I assume you're aware that there is an 18xx family. That provides a list that is fairly close to what you'd get with a search; perhaps you need something more from it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
MG
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Since you mentioned families in the thread title, I assume you're aware that there is an 18xx family. That provides a list that is fairly close to what you'd get with a search; perhaps you need something more from it?

Yes, that's why I suggested that an even more interesting option would be to have families as searchable itens in an advanced search. The 18XX family makes a good job in providing us a list of games in that category, but it can't be "searched" (e.g., there's no way to find "what are the 18XX games that last at most four hours", or "what are the 18XX games for exactly two players", etc.). The simplest way to do that would be to have 18XX as a category, but it would be even better to have "family" as an option in the advanced search, as it would benefit more people, not only those wanting to find the next 18XX to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.