Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: UDE panel at GenCon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, is there anything going on there?

I noticed they're not scheduled for BGG's live-stream, so was wondering if there's anything planned for announcement and such?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:
So, is there anything going on there?

I noticed they're not scheduled for BGG's live-stream, so was wondering if there's anything planned for announcement and such?


I don't know if there is a panel, honestly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just downloaded the GenCon events catalog (spreadsheet), and there was a trade day panel yesterday at 4:00pm. The description was "Learn about new Legendary® releases and other brand new, never-before-seen games from Upper Deck! Hear about exciting OP plans at both hobby and events, including plans that will benefit retailers." There's nothing else on the schedule except for their organized play (tournaments and win-a-box) events.

Kind of surprising. I expected some announcements like that party they had a couple years ago when they announced Legendary Encounters: Alien.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
I just downloaded the GenCon events catalog (spreadsheet), and there was a trade day panel yesterday at 4:00pm. The description was "Learn about new Legendary® releases and other brand new, never-before-seen games from Upper Deck! Hear about exciting OP plans at both hobby and events, including plans that will benefit retailers." There's nothing else on the schedule except for their organized play (tournaments and win-a-box) events.

Kind of surprising. I expected some announcements like that party they had a couple years ago when they announced Legendary Encounters: Alien.


Especially since Breznor teased that there was possibly an announcement of the next license at GenCon:

Brenzor wrote:
I know whats next.... Just sayin. Maybe all will be revealed at GenCon...


https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/19893200#19893200
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Aaron, any chance you could wrangle Brenzor and try and get some info out of him?

Is Legendary: Firefly coming? Maybe some teases for Vol. 2?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McNulty
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor has been busy man so far at GenCon. Easy to spot, but always dealing with some biz types or other. Not been his usual hanging out at the booth and easy to talk to for a few minutes. Been hard to break in without resorting to being rude so far.

Hope that calms down on Saturday, but with the Vs tournament going on, who knows.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McNulty
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At the Legendary party. They just announced a future expansion to be "Big Trouble in Little China" ( I LOVE that movie!!!), and the next Encounters version to be ...

*from roll*
Firefly! With expected release GenCon 2016

(No mention of release for Little China beyond 2016)
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So, um, when are we getting a MARVEL Encounters set? With all the great storylines, it seems like a no-brainer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
redvulture wrote:
At the Legendary party. They just announced a future expansion to be "Big Trouble in Little China" ( I LOVE that movie!!!)


Did NOT see that coming! :O
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
redvulture wrote:
At the Legendary party. They just announced a future expansion to be "Big Trouble in Little China" ( I LOVE that movie!!!), and the next Encounters version to be ...

*from roll*
Firefly! With expected release GenCon 2016

(No mention of release for Little China beyond 2016)


Wait, is this for real?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McNulty
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, 100% real. Brenzor held up signs, and everything.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
redvulture wrote:
Yes, 100% real. Brenzor held up signs, and everything.


Sorry, the ridiculousness of the first part made me question the second part. But I just saw this on Crit's Happen's FB page.

That's so awesome, there are no words...

So what would Little China be an expansion to?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McNulty
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:
So what would Little China be an expansion to?


They just it was Legendary, so core game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that there is very little chance Big Trouble in Little China has enough of a following to support a Legendary game?

I know, I know, "OMG BEST MOVIE EVAR" and all that hyperbole, but how much Big Trouble merch are people really buying?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
runnestrand wrote:
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that there is very little chance Big Trouble in Little China has enough of a following to support a Legendary game?

I know, I know, "OMG BEST MOVIE EVAR" and all that hyperbole, but how much Big Trouble merch are people really buying?


I enjoy the hell out of that movie, but I was thinking this exact same thing. It doesn't seem like it's going to be their most lucrative endeavor....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So there was a Legendary party?! I'm surprised that wasn't publicized more. I don't think I saw it mentioned on Facebook either.

I love Big Trouble in Little China, personally. That said, I am confused and have some questions:

Will Big Trouble in Little China be a standalone game or an expansion? Standalone makes more sense to me. I don't see how it could be an expansion to either Marvel Legendary or Alien/Predator.

Is it Legendary or Legendary Encounters? Legendary Encounters just makes more sense to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
So there was a Legendary party?! I'm surprised that wasn't publicized more. I don't think I saw it mentioned on Facebook either.

I love Big Trouble in Little China, personally. That said, I am confused and have some questions:

Will Big Trouble in Little China be a standalone game or an expansion? Standalone makes more sense to me. I don't see how it could be an expansion to either Marvel Legendary or Alien/Predator.

Is it Legendary or Legendary Encounters? Legendary Encounters just makes more sense to me.


That would make sense to me too. But Firefly is Legendary Encounters, and supposedly both are supposed to be out at Gencon 2016.

So who knows?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cooper Christian
United States
La Habra
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Legendary: Fanboy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a remake in the works, so that might spark people that aren't part of the cult following to get interested.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Upper Deck needs to be very careful about diluting the Legendary brand too much.

When Sam Healey of the Dice Tower recently criticized Legendary and Legendary Encounters for having a "pasted-on" theme, I defended it vociferously based on how incredibly thematic the changes the designers made to the Legendary system to make it fit the Aliens theme. And Predators is a great fit with Aliens.

It's going to get increasingly difficult to win that argument with the release of Firefly and Big Trouble in Little China, however. I really hope they can adapt those IPs in uniquely thematic, fun, and interesting ways. So far, Upper Deck has done an excellent job at adaptations, so I'm hopeful, but these announcements are worrying. I love, love, love Firefly, but I'm somewhat skeptical as to how well that IP can fit thematically with the Legendary Encounters system. I'd think a completely new system would be needed, call it Legendary Adventures or something like that, where you have to travel to different locations and encounter what's there. Something like that.

And if Big Trouble in Little China is really an expansion for Marvel Legendary, that just makes no sense thematically at all. I'm going to use SHIELD Agents to recruit Jack Burton??? No. Just no.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davinia
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
DarthEd wrote:

And if Big Trouble in Little China is really an expansion for Marvel Legendary, that just makes no sense thematically at all. I'm going to use SHIELD Agents to recruit Jack Burton??? No. Just no.


Someone has to explain that to me too. I saw the film a long long time ago. Cannot recall it all and I just don't get the marvel reference.

As for recruit, SHIELD wouldn't recruit Xmen (unless I'm mistaken and it happened in a comic, that's Professor X's job) but here we are.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
32vini2 wrote:
Someone has to explain that to me too. I saw the film a long long time ago. Cannot recall it all and I just don't get the marvel reference.

There's no thematic crossover between Marvel and Big Trouble in Little China, AFAIK.

Photos of the poster signs at the Upper Deck booth can be found here:
Re: So will the next licence be...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The best thing about a BTiLC set is that it means The Thing is really possible!

I'm not really sure how much content there could be in a Big Trouble set, but maybe it's a smaller box, less cards, but still stands alone, but can be combined with the others? Something between the two usual sizes we have had so far?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Hartless
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand why people do not think this will work thematically with Marvel. In my mind it won't. The truth is though you won't be forced to on your table top. After playing secret wars this weekend at gencon I trust the Devs to deliver a great stand alone game.

Secret wars is so well done. The game really is fun to play.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ling
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
The truth is I don't might crossovers, I love crossovers. So the fact that the core legendary brand is branching out is great! and big trouble in little china? sure, why not...

Except I have no idea what that is... Even if it doesn't fit thematically I don't care, cross em over... (heck I play dice masters FFS) but... really? they picked something so obscure?

BTW you want a thematic mish-mash?

My team is professor X, leading Slifer the sky dragon, red eyes black dragon and blue eyes white dragon from yu-gi-oh, red dragons, blue dragons, and half dragons from DnD, and armed with a limited wish spell. Now THAT is a thematic mish mash.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cooper Christian
United States
La Habra
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Legendary: Fanboy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, why would they choose a cult classic movie about to celebrate its 30th anniversary while Hollywood is working on a remake. Why not something more topical?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.