Lee Stanford
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was a little surprised to find the solo expansion available for sale at Gen Con. I had a preorder, but it hadn't been charged yet. Asked Uwe what to do, and he called his wife (who's processing the pre-orders) and handed me the phone. She cancelled my pre-order and let Uwe know what to charge me at the show (so that I got the pre-order price). Customer service above and beyond, especially at a busy Gen Con booth.

From an initial 10-minute perusal, the solo expansion looks great. The way the cards control the AI is really genius. Can't wait to try it once I get home.

Also, picked-up the firefight generator, which Uwe opened to check that all the pieces were packed properly. Got the impression that they received the shipment very recently.

I know that the wait has been seemingly forever, but trust me when I say it will be worth it. The quality of the components and the excellence of the rules really show how much Uwe and the rest of Academy Games care about their product and their customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Evans
United States
stroudsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was there any talk about these missing cards in the Firefight expansion I'm hearing about?
When are the copies getting to retailers?

I feel like this is taking forever to get. Preorders over a year now.

thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Stanford
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why Uwe opened the firefight expansion - to check the cards. All the cards were there, and he seemed relieved.

I didn't ask about shipping to retailers or pre-orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
caric wrote:
Was there any talk about these missing cards in the Firefight expansion I'm hearing about?
When are the copies getting to retailers?

I feel like this is taking forever to get. Preorders over a year now.

thanks.

Heh, December 2012 order here. And now that it's on the cusp of arriving, I have Enemy Action: Ardennes on my table just arrived, D-Day at Peleliu on the shelf waiting, and The Great War and Mistfall just a couple weeks away. I can't bring myself to complain as I'm inundated now anyway.

Anyway, by the end of August we'll all be talking about the gameplay and not the game wait. Here's to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Evans
United States
stroudsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drengy wrote:
That's why Uwe opened the firefight expansion - to check the cards. All the cards were there, and he seemed relieved.

thanks.
It sounds then that it may only be certain copies which is a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
caric wrote:
drengy wrote:

thanks.

Yes that's correct as we updated our original concern several days ago. Was only the few advance copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
caric wrote:
drengy wrote:

thanks.

Yes that's correct as we updated our original concern several days ago. Was only the few advance copies.

And my replacement deck just arrived from Academy last night... Uwe is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get it... how can the game be available for purchase at a convention but not have been shipped yet to the people (like myself) who pre-ordered it years ago?

I was supposed to get it when I pre-ordered and paid for as part of the reprint of AtB. I'm starting to wonder now if I will actually get a copy and if there is some record of me paying for it back then.

I was patient for years... I'm staring to get annoyed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up my pre-order at Gen Con as well. Emailed Uwe before hand and he said to just bring a print out of my receipt. Finally the wait is over. Picked up the firefight generator as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
I don't get it... how can the game be available for purchase at a convention but not have been shipped yet to the people (like myself) who pre-ordered it years ago?

I was supposed to get it when I pre-ordered and paid for as part of the reprint of AtB. I'm starting to wonder now if I will actually get a copy and if there is some record of me paying for it back then.

That is a reasonable POV, I think. And you see this more and more in the hobby. Publishers get the preorders to fund making the game and then sell early copies at conventions that happen around the time of the release. I can't imagine a company showing up and not selling a game just so preorders can get theirs first. I think the only time it doesn't happen is when the game comes out during the (big) convention offseason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
AvidHunter wrote:

That is a reasonable POV, I think. And you see this more and more in the hobby. Publishers get the preorders to fund making the game and then sell early copies at conventions that happen around the time of the release. I can't imagine a company showing up and not selling a game just so preorders can get theirs first. I think the only time it doesn't happen is when the game comes out during the (big) convention offseason.

I decided to call them directly. I had a good conversation about my confusion. As I suspected I had already paid for it back in 2012. Invoices for people are being made out and sent to them to get payment for the game or to cover shipping if already paid for the game. It's a long process due to the many forms of pre-order types. It's been ongoing for a while now. There is logical reason why some people have received their copies and other have not.

I'm mostly just happy to be reassured that I was not somehow skipped or fell though the cracks.

I would like to gripe about the order in which pre-orders are processed; I feel like it should have been done in a manor of first come first serve like those of us who paid for it 3 years ago;I cannot get upset about that though due to the fact that the person helping me sort out the confusion was incredibly polite and it was a pleasant talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
AvidHunter wrote:

Regular distribution copies got shipped and dock this weekend. Shipping to customers starts the 12th.

They paid extra to have some air mailed for GenCon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uwe likes to air-freight in and sell some copies in advance at conventions as well to see if there are any printing issues. In the past there have been issues and he's been able to have components redone before general release, saving everybody a lot of hassle and disappointment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Baney
United States
Wrightwood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
enzo622 wrote:
AvidHunter wrote:

I decided to call them directly. I had a good conversation about my confusion. As I suspected I had already paid for it back in 2012. Invoices for people are being made out and sent to them to get payment for the game or to cover shipping if already paid for the game. It's a long process due to the many forms of pre-order types. It's been ongoing for a while now. There is logical reason why some people have received their copies and other have not.

I'm mostly just happy to be reassured that I was not somehow skipped or fell though the cracks.

I would like to gripe about the order in which pre-orders are processed; I feel like it should have been done in a manor of first come first serve like those of us who paid for it 3 years ago;I cannot get upset about that though due to the fact that the person helping me sort out the confusion was incredibly polite and it was a pleasant talk.

That's called "Stockholm syndrome". Sorry, couldn't resist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.