Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok got the game form my printers today, had a play this evening with my wife. We played in a friendly fashion, controlled 4 factions between us and treated them as separate players.
Red started in Africa, black brazillia, light blue India, dark blue China. Or thereabouts.
Played 6 rounds.
Result dark blue won, but felt close, all players had a shot.
Got a feel for the game look forward to playing more now I have the hang of it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some extra little notes about this:
Cost of printing was £9 for all cards and board, including getting it laminated, so very happy with that and the quality is good too. The cards are 250gsm.
The cubes are glass square beads from Amazon, these feel really nice when playing, they are very smooth and have a weight to them, the hole in the centre is tiny less than 1mm. The cubes were £2.40 per colour for 100 and £1 post for all needed, I already had a number of cubes that I had previously bought for other games.
All in all I am very happy with the game and look forward to playing it with a group of friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa! Wish there were somewhere near me to get a whole boardgame printed for so cheap. Enjoy! I'll just keep wiping the drool off my chin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a very reasonable printers, I have been going there for years and get a fair amount done with him. He not always the quickest I do tend to let him fit my printing in and around other work but I do seem to get good rates so it works for me

At least you have a little goaty to soak up the drool too lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Strom
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Wow! this looks awesome!
forgive me if I am being thick, I am totally new to the hobby and COMPLETELY unfamiliar with having games printed. If I am interested in undertaking a similar project, what instructions do I give to a printing firm to have this done? Do you need to specify dimensions and cutting instructions as well? thanks for the awesome pictures, as a backer of this game I am interested in your feedback on how it plays!

-S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a backer you can download all the PDFs from the ks project updates page. These come on set paper sizes, the board I checked printing options after giving him the size. I went for printing on his standard paper, 90gsm, and then laminated. I avoided a more expensive glossy paper as I know it can crack sometimes, also I felt as it was being laminated I didn't need a heavier paper. For all the cards I know my printers has a machine where he uses ISO A3 250gsm card, therefore I make all my card sheets A3 so as to minimise waste and reduce cost. Since every printer can be a little different and getting perfect alignment both sides of a card can be difficult, he might have got it with repeated tries but there would have been time and cost involved, to avoid this I made my own set of backs for all the cards so that they can be a mm or 2 out, josh provided me with the symbols on the cards so that I could do this more easily.

If you have a local printers I would pop down and chat with them, see what they have, then work out the best way of printing with them and get prices.

As for how the game plays, I have only played 4 times, all with my wife. The first 2 times we played with 4 factions (all as separate players) then with 6 factions all separate again for the next 2 games.

With 4 factions we found the games very close, each player had space to spread, my wife likes to play nice so players are not at each other's throats until needed. This would probably play a bit different with my friends as they are merciless when playing games.

With 6 factions it is a lot more cramped so players can be on top of each other much earlier, this can be bad for you if one of the players has been lucky enough to be the only player to start in the U.S. While the others are in Asia and Europe. I think I definitely need more experience before writing a review but it is an enjoyable game with replay ability and it does take about 90mins after the first game. The special cards are great too, these really add something, I have been surprised how many we get through in a game but about half the deck seems to get used.

Hope this helps feel free to ask again if needed.

And no you weren't being thick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lamont
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow great job! And man, I'm envious of your printing cost!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Robertson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, that looks quite nice. I'm looking forward to getting my game!

I had Web of Spies printed and laminated. That was a good deal. So, I looked at getting Spheres of Influence printed here in China, which would have been cheap, but I couldn't find a reasonably priced source for the cubes. All the ones here are wholesale and their qty reqs were just too high. All the ones I could order, when factored with shipping, were just too expensive. I suppose I need to improve my Chinese to do proper local component hunting, that or get myself an assistant. After that, I feel better about backing at the Deluxe Game level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Morris
msg tools
Question about printing the map
I want to print the game, but I'm not sure what size the map is. Or rather, I'm not sure what dimensions it is.

What do I need to tell the printer about the map's size?

Thanks for any help!

Bryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
82.5mm x 55mm very close to A1 size.

825mm x 550mm*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Morris
msg tools
Are those measurements right?

That would make for a small world map wouldn't it? Forgive me if I'm wrong, as I'm accustomed to using inches here in the States.

A1 size is 594 × 841 millimeters. Am I reading your measurements wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
The component list says the board is 32.5" X 21.5" (825mm X 545mm).

Looks like I'm printing out the board again, mine's A2.

Thought it was a bit of a squeeze come the end rounds with the number of units in play. Good job we're using my 80's style Risk pieces and can lay 5 and 10 counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I meant cm :s

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Went to my local Staples to get the map reprinted to A1 size and they refused due to copyright.

I explained I had paid for the files through kickstarter to print and play and they asked for proof of purchase so they could print the map. I think I've dropped their Sunday staff in trouble when I said they had already printed this out for me.

Anyone have any ideas what I can show them? Will I get the same trouble if I try another printers?

Cheers for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you take them your ipad/tablet and open up your KS account and show them your pledge. Or use one of their computers to open it up.

Where in the UK are you based?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Down 'ere in Devon.

They wanted 18 quid for the poster and 15 to have it laminated! Robbing 6@%£#&3# fill in with appropriate swear word of your choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
try these guys

http://www.a1posters.co.uk/a1-poster-printing-160gsm-157-p.a...

or look around a bit online

You could get the A1 print from that place for 8-90 and then get it laminated from the place by you for £6

Amc photographic is about £16 for an A1 laminate including postage

Just found a couple more reasonable links

This one is £6-80 for the print and post then you would need to get it laminated
http://www.cheapestprintonline.co.uk/Posters/A1%20Single/5da...

This one is £4-67 for the print but not sure about postage, still need it laminated as well.
http://www.posterpigeon.co.uk/cheapest-uk-poster-printing-pr...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cheers nice one, I'll use those next time.

Found a printers that would do it for 12 quid, looks amazing and so big compared to the A2 map I originally had, stuff Staples in the future.

Looking forward to a game tomorrow night now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lamont
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey James, let me know if there is anyone I can email or send a message on your behalf if they require proof to print. Not sure what I can do, but I'd love to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks very much for the offer but I've got everything done now.

It's first class customer support your providing though, cheers.

Pretty cool to be able to go back to Staples though and say "would an email giving permission from the game's designer be enough?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lamont
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Pirate Semaj wrote:
Thanks very much for the offer but I've got everything done now.

It's first class customer support your providing though, cheers.

Pretty cool to be able to go back to Staples though and say "would an email giving permission from the game's designer be enough?"

I'm a little curious if they would believe it, haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.