GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,804 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Fire Team» Forums » Variants

Subject: TO&E for 1981 US Mech Infantry Bn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Breidigan
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Pre Bradley with M901's?

Working on an earlier time for Fire Team, I have found
some references, all rather vague.

Anyone know an official source?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Overton
United States
Odessa
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Could try Armies of NATO's Central Front.

Expensive if you don't already own it though.

Good Hunting.

MR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Rankin
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this an old thread but just picked up a copy of Fire Team for peanuts on Ebay and was snoopin' around the page here. I was mech infantry in the mid-late 80's and can tell you what our pre-Bradley TO&E looked like. 4 infantry companies and 1 HQ company. HQ company had a mortar platoon with six 4-deuces, AT platoon with six M-901s, scout platoon w/113's (6 as well- I think). All inf companies were 3 platoons with 4 tracks each- 3 with 9 man dismount squads and one with the platoon sgt., RTOs, medic. Platoon leader led the dismounts, PSGT stayed with the tracks. 2 man crew per track. Company HQ had a track for CO and XO with jeeps and 2 1/2 ton trucks for 1Sgt, supply sgt. (later Hummers instead of jeeps). We often had a Stinger guy or two attached as well as a FIST track for arty support. Ambulance tracks at BN as well but I don't recall the number/setup. We were often cross teamed with M-60 tank, combat engineer, Vulcan 20mm AA units. Saw a few Chaparrals but they were never attached direct to us- Bde or Div. That's the way it was at A 1-12 Inf. 4th ID in the mid-80's anyway. Went to light and airborne units after my time there and never saw tracks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Neukom
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb

Mike:

Thanks very much for that info: very enlightening. I appreciate that you took the time to add some info to this discussion. You pretty much cut right to the heart of the original poster's question -- at least for M113-equipped battalions.

Have you had the chance to play the game yet? I think it is quite good . . .

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david goodwin
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
I worked for Emerson Electric that developed both the m-901 and the m-981 fistv. They were too slow to be mixed with the m-1/2/3s. I was a system engineer for these vehicles. The platoon consisted of 5 vehicles before division 1986 structure and had 4 vehicles after, from what i was told at that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Breidigan
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
davidrgoodwin1 wrote:
I worked for Emerson Electric that developed both the m-901 and the m-981 fistv. They were too slow to be mixed with the m-1/2/3s. I was a system engineer for these vehicles. The platoon consisted of 5 vehicles before division 1986 structure and had 4 vehicles after, from what i was told at that time.

So it's all your fault...

I was a vehicle and turret mechanic in the early 80s in a mech infantry unit in Germany.

Later when I joined the National Guard, I worked on the Fist-V's in
an artillery unit.

When my unit first got the 901's we had a huge problem as they left all of the driver hatches pointing straight up , all got banged up pretty good going under bridges.

Thanks for the info, I couldn't find the TO&E for those years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.