Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
steve brown
United States
Lowell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's been a while since the 4th Edition was released (2007), but something about it got my attention again as I was playing with my kids, using the 3rd edition base and the 4th Edition Traders & Builders expansion: Why did they change the theme from European colonization of the New World to a Medieval theme?

This is purely speculation, I guess (I haven't found anything on the interwebs about why). My opinion is that it was for 2 reasons: One, Cities & Knights (released 1998) had been a success, but had a medieval theme. This doesn't seem like enough of a reason to re-brand both the base set and Seafarers, though. It seemed like maybe, in my opinion, they possibly felt a little uncomfortable with the European colonization theme for political reasons (you know the spread of diseases, exploitation of the natives, etc.), and wanted a less offensive theme, and the medieval theme of Cities & Knights worked out well for that. After all, there were colonies in the Middle Ages (the Vikings colonized, for example). What is everyone else's opinion on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Schmoll
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured for the few who haven't played it yet, it'd be easier to get their attention with something familiar and often fantasized like knights and middle age fun!! than colonizing.

Just my theory, not necessarily the truth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Catan is supposed to have any historical basis... I really think it's just a fictional island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
I don't think Catan is supposed to have any historical basis... I really think it's just a fictional island.

WHAT?!?! surprisesurprisesurprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve brown
United States
Lowell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
MD1616 wrote:

I'm not talking about an actual historical basis; I'm talking about theme. For instance, Dominion and Kingdom Builder both have medieval themes, but they don't have a direct historical basis. These themes have historical connections, though; you won't find machine guns in Dominion, because it it a medieval theme and, historically, machine guns hadn't been invented in the middle ages.

So, Max, why do you think Catan switched from a 17th century theme to a medieval theme?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
doughboy42 wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

I'm not talking about an actual historical basis; I'm talking about theme. For instance, Dominion and Kingdom Builder both have medieval themes, but they don't have a direct historical basis. These themes have historical connections, though; you won't find machine guns in Dominion, because it it a medieval theme and, historically, machine guns hadn't been invented in the middle ages.

So, Max, why do you think Catan switched from a 17th century theme to a medieval theme?

You specifically mentioned European exploration of the New World, though. That (if true) would constitute a specific historical theme. You even mentioned things like the spread of diseases which are legitimate historical trends. I don't see anything in Catan to suggest a 17th-Century theme as you suggest.

I don't really see a shift at all. Since I don't see it as based on a historical time period/event, there's no time period to go from or switch to. The same could be said of Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Baumgartner
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question, why did Mayfair change the original (German edition) theme from a Viking age settlement of a friendlier version of Iceland to the settlement of an island with elements of the 18th century conquest of the Indian territories west of the Appalachees?

Adding Catan: Cities & Knights to that theme doesn't hurt much since the development cards aren't used, but will come as a surprise to those users of the US theme unfamiliar with the original. The themes of Traders and Barbarians or Seafarers are more Dark Ages or medieval than post-Columbus, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve brown
United States
Lowell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
MD1616 wrote:
doughboy42 wrote:
MD1616 wrote:

You specifically mentioned European exploration of the New World, though. That (if true) would constitute a specific historical theme. You even mentioned things like the spread of diseases which are legitimate historical trends. I don't see anything in Catan to suggest a 17th-Century theme as you suggest.

I don't really see a shift at all. Since I don't see it as based on a historical time period/event, there's no time period to go from or switch to. The same could be said of Dominion.

You don't see a change of theme?!? Here's the cover of the 3rd Ed:

And the cover of the 4th:

The term 'soldier' was changed to 'knight' throughout, and the all the art was changed on the cards from images you'd typically find in 17th century America to images you'd typically find in Medieval Europe, as in these:

Now, I don't know what you would call that, but I call it a change of theme. Regardless of what your definitions are, the questions stands: Why do you think they changed it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve brown
United States
Lowell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
jorganos wrote:
Good question, why did Mayfair change the original (German edition) theme from a Viking age settlement of a friendlier version of Iceland to the settlement of an island with elements of the 18th century conquest of the Indian territories west of the Appalachees?

Adding Catan: Cities & Knights to that theme doesn't hurt much since the development cards aren't used, but will come as a surprise to those users of the US theme unfamiliar with the original. The themes of Traders and Barbarians or Seafarers are more Dark Ages or medieval than post-Columbus, too.

Wow. I've never seen the artwork for the 1st Ed. (German), so I didn't know that it was changed like that. Maybe because they thought it would do better in the American market if they made it look like the founding of America??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doughboy42 wrote:
The term 'soldier' was changed to 'knight' throughout

Unless I'm mistaken, the original German editions used "Ritter" (knight).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I like the old (Colonization of the New World) theme better. I don't know why they did it but I suspect is was the Marketing Department's idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly after millions of sales they didn't think the old theme was engaging enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve brown
United States
Lowell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Salt-Man Z wrote:
doughboy42 wrote:
The term 'soldier' was changed to 'knight' throughout

Unless I'm mistaken, the original German editions used "Ritter" (knight).

I just found an image of the Mayfair 1st edition, and it uses the term "knight."

Wow! So it looks like Catan was medieval, went to colonial for the 3rd edition, and then back to medieval for the 4th and following. I wonder why????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.