GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,524 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Combos? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I thought of.

Requirements: 2 Charm dice (at least 1 with the Heart symbol) + 1 Ally Unit (preferably something with a low attack, but not 0 Attack) + at least 1 Ceremonial Die with the Goat symbol + Sympathy Pain.

Result: Deal 3 damage to your opponents Phoenixborn/Unit.

How?
•Meditate by discarding your Ally Unit and change (if necessary) one of your Charm Dice to the Heart symbol, if not necessary, change one of your Ceremonial Dice to the Goat symbol.
•Activate the Ceremonial Dice Power, adding your Ally Unit to your hand and taking damage equal to its Attack. Now, because your Phoenixborn took damage, you can activate Sympathy Pain, dealing 3 damage to your opponents Unit or Phoenixborn.

What combos did you come up with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maleficius
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I get Ashes is a bit different and functions more on accumulating tempo, but I've always thought of combos as a series of actions all occurring on one turn without interruption.

If die powers cost a die and a side action, and meditating costs a side action, doesn't this need Iron Workers or the ally already in the discard?

Most "combos" I've seen rely on trigger effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scholar Maleficius wrote:
I get Ashes is a bit different and functions more on accumulating tempo, but I've always thought of combos as a series of actions all occurring on one turn without interruption.

If die powers cost a die and a side action, and meditating costs a side action, doesn't this need Iron Workers or the ally already in the discard?

Most "combos" I've seen rely on trigger effects.

Well yeah, I mean combos as much as Ashes can do combos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bruder

Mount Laurel
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmb
I didn't really come up with it because it's part of the pre built deck, but my favorite is:

Let opponent attack your Phoenixborn, play Redirect, redirect damage to Living Doll + Undying Heart, if it's enough damage you can also play Final Cry for a total of 7 damage to your opponent's Phoenixborn. Of course this relies on them not having any reactions to interrupt this chain.

Edit: Only one reaction spell allowed per turn! Thanks Scholar Maleficius!

My first build has this starting hand combo: Get out an Iron Worker, give him Massive Growth, protect him with Golden Veil, and Hypnotize any units our opponent got out in order to get in a quick 6 damage. Works even better if you end up with a refresh in hand to hit twice. Even better than that if you have a Rose Fire Dance Out or another Hypnotize!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maleficius
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Not to be a downer, but Final Cry and Redirect are both Reaction Spells. Players can only play 1 per turn.
With Iron Workers being the only card to allow multiple actions, surprised they weren't included on the hot list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bruder

Mount Laurel
New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmb
Not to be a downer, but Final Cry and Redirect are both Reaction Spells. Players can only play 1 per turn.
With Iron Workers being the only card to allow multiple actions, surprised they weren't included on the hot list.

Yup! Completely overlooked this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
Something I thought of.

Requirements: 2 Charm dice (at least 1 with the Heart symbol) + 1 Ally Unit (preferably something with a low attack, but not 0 Attack) + at least 1 Ceremonial Die with the Goat symbol + Sympathy Pain.

Result: Deal 3 damage to your opponents Phoenixborn/Unit.

How?
•Meditate by discarding your Ally Unit and change (if necessary) one of your Charm Dice to the Heart symbol, if not necessary, change one of your Ceremonial Dice to the Goat symbol.
•Activate the Ceremonial Dice Power, adding your Ally Unit to your hand and taking damage equal to its Attack. Now, because your Phoenixborn took damage, you can activate Sympathy Pain, dealing 3 damage to your opponents Unit or Phoenixborn.

What combos did you come up with?

you cant discard an ally when you meditate. only cards in hand, top of deck or spellboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maleficius
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Pretty sure agentkuo intended to discard an ally from the hand for meditation.
Coal can do something similar without setup or need for extra Side Actions as long as his field is empty. Slash himself and Sympathy Pain for some first turn burst? Then you still have a main action. Like many others, still hoping for a viable method of collecting status for Coal spam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure agentkuo intended to discard an ally from the hand for meditation.
Coal can do something similar without setup or need for extra Side Actions as long as his field is empty. Slash himself and Sympathy Pain for some first turn burst? Then you still have a main action. Like many others, still hoping for a viable method of collecting status for Coal spam.

Yeah, "discard" almost always refers to moving cards from the hand to the discard pile.

Yeah, it's weird that they only bring this up in the gloassary and not in the description of Reaction Spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maleficius
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Pretty sure they also mention this in the description of Reaction Spells.
Ashes is a little weird in this respect. It seems to only refer to units being destroyed. Ready Spells on the Spellboard are also discarded (meditation or through effects similar to Protect)and attached Alteration Spells are discarded (Cut the Strings).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure they also mention this in the description of Reaction Spells.

It isn't, as I stated above. Which is why it's weird. They should have put it there.
Quote:
Ashes is a little weird in this respect. It seems to only refer to units being destroyed. Ready Spells on the Spellboard are also discarded (meditation or through effects similar to Protect)and attached Alteration Spells are discarded (Cut the Strings).

Right, you can meditate by discarding cards from your hand, the top of your deck, or your spellboard. So it doesn't make sense for someone to assume I meant discard an ally (in play) when you aren't allowed to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maleficius
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I agree, was noting the difference between Ashes and many other games since in Ashes discarding doesn't almost always refer to moving cards from the hand to the discard pile. (Maybe in frequency, but not in possibility) Usually cards in play are destroyed, yet in Ashes only Units seem to be. Maybe future sets will allow us to destroy Ready Spells?

Page 11 top left. "Each player may only play 1 reaction spell per turn."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillermo Longhini
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can achieve more combos using workers... with several side actions... for example, with 4 side actions you can play 3 masked wolves, and then spend a natural power die to kill one of them, and use summon sleeping widow and then attack with 5 units of 2 attack strenght each (counting worker)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Fritz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this was mentioned over on the Ashes Online Facebook page, but you can pull the Ceremonial damage trick even quicker if you take an ally in your first five, discard it during the first setup phase and draw a replacement card. That way, you can use the dice power turn one.

Takes more setup, but their example over there was actually redirecting damage from reviving a Hammer Knight to a buffed Living Doll, for 4 damage to the opponent's PB.

edit: forgot to point out the need to buff the doll originally...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nbfritz wrote:

Takes more setup, but their example over there was actually redirecting damage from reviving a Hammer Knight to a Living Doll, for 4 damage to the opponent's PB.

now that's interesting. I may have to ste... er borrow that combo for my direct damage deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Barrett
United States
Schaumburg
IL
flag msg tools
mbmb
it'd be 3 damage unless the doll had its hp boosted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Fritz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry. Forgot to mention that, yeah. You need to buff with something like Undying Heart. I tried it against my son the other night. He was scratching his head when I discarded the Hammer Knight before the first round even started, but then I played the doll and his jaw dropped. Kudos to whoever originated the idea over on the Facebook page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chill84 wrote:
it'd be 3 damage unless the doll had its hp boosted.

yes but it would be worth boosting the doll. giving the doll a quick +2 life lets you do the combo 2 times for 4 damage each.... and you really only need 1 hammer knight in your discard, once its in your hand you can meditate it away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nbfritz wrote:
Sorry. Forgot to mention that, yeah. You need to buff with something like Undying Heart. I tried it against my son the other night. He was scratching his head when I discarded the Hammer Knight before the first round even started, but then I played the doll and his jaw dropped. Kudos to whoever originated the idea over on the Facebook page.

did the combo win you the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Fritz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AND, like my son did, if your opponent kills the doll while it's weak, play Final Cry to make even that hurt. Then resurrect the doll :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
I wouldn't claim 'come up with' since it's relatively obvious in a very small card pool, but I like the following out of Jessa:

Blood Transfer and Small Sacrifice already in your spellboard, and Leech Warrior and Living Doll already in your battlefield (total cost to play these is 3 x ceremonial [class/power], 1 x charm and 2 x basic).

Activate Small Sacrifice (1 x ceremonial) targeting Leech Warrior, ping and kill one of your opponent's units and remove one of their dice, and trigger Jessa's Screams of the Departed (1 x basic) to ping your opponent's Phoenixborn. [This is a self-contained combo, I guess.]

Next turn, activate Blood Transfer (1 x ceremonial and 1 x charm) to add two wounds to Living Doll, removing the wound from your Leech Warrior, deal two wounds and kill one of your opponent's units (1 x basic) and finally trigger Jessa's Screams of the Departed (1 x basic) again to ping your opponent's Phoenixborn.

That's a total of 11 dice, so you won't be able to do all of it in the first round ... but even minus one wound on the opposing Phoenixborn, it still costs your opponent two units (assuming suitable targets), one die and some of their Phoenixborn's health. Assuming the other card in your hand is Fear, then you're in with a good chance to wipe your opponent's board that turn.

Jessa mightn't be quite a powerhouse yet, but I love all of her synergies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.