In the Fisherman of Catan the rules (4th edition) say:

7 fish tokens at most: You may not have more than
7 fish tokens at any one time. If you already have 7 fish
tokens and would obtain another 1 or 2 fish tokens for a
settlement or city, you may exchange one of your fish
tokens with a fish token from the supply (hoping for a
token with more fish on it).

And the FAQ says:

The Fishermen of Catan - When exchanging fish tokens, may I take a fish token of my choice from the discard pile?

No, you must draw from the face-down fish token supply.

What I would like to know is what do you do with the token you are trading in? Does it go face-up in the discard pile or face-down in the draw pile? If it goes in the draw pile, wouldn't you need to shuffle/mix them again?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Exchange" means that you take one from the supply and put the token you want to exchange to the supply. And since all tokens are face-down in the supply the exchanged token has to be added also face-down to the supply. If would be the other way, the rule would be: "If you already have 7 fish
tokens and would obtain another 1 or 2 fish tokens for a settlement or city, you may draw a new fish token from the supply and discard one of your old fish tokens (hoping for a token with more fish on it)."

Of course you should mix the tokens after that action, which should be a matter of course.

Dr. Reiner Düren
Catan GmbH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for clarifying. I see now that because it does not say "discard" and because it does say "exchange" that is reads as you say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.