Patchwork» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tile placement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michal
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
There is no need to place tile adjacent?

E.g. I can place first tile on top left corner while I can place second tile on bottom right corner leaving empty space in-between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, you don't have to place pieces adjacent to previously-placed ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
c08mk wrote:
There is no need to place tile adjacent?

E.g. I can place first tile on top left corner while I can place second tile on bottom right corner leaving empty space in-between.

Yes, you may do this.

But keeping your tiles compact and close together tends to increase the likelihood that you will be able to fit more tiles of various shapes on your board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michal
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Spock
msg tools
My interpretation of the rules, and the apparent spirit of the game, is that at least one edge of the tile being placed must be adjacent to an existing patch on your board.

The rules start with:

"Patchwork is a form of needlepoint that involves sewing together pieces of fabric into a larger design."

The object of the game is to build a quilt (not quilts).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That quote describes the craft, not the game.

The game does not require needles, sewing, or adjacency.

The goal may be to create a single contiguous quilt, but players, like quilters, are allowed to place their patches discontiguously before sewing them together.

Players, like quilters, may end their task without assembling all their patches into a single whole, but the result will be less satisfactory in both cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
rockspock wrote:
My interpretation of the rules, and the apparent spirit of the game, is that at least one edge of the tile being placed must be adjacent to an existing patch on your board.

The rules start with:

"Patchwork is a form of needlepoint that involves sewing together pieces of fabric into a larger design."

That's introductory flavor text, not a rule.

If you were required to place tiles adjacent to an existing tile, the rule section about placing tiles would certainly say so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.