GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,838 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Competitive Retail only possible? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MICHAEL MA
msg tools
Just out of curiousity, what would you folks recommend for a retail-only list for competitive play? Have you done it?

I usually play 3-4 ship Keldon/Galor fleets but only tried tourneys with that once (1st place but doesn't count) I prefer staying within faction as well. My local groups had gone with Borg, Fed, Klingon....so I chose to try Cardassian (Dominion) and found them solid...until someone gets behind them.

Offhand I am thinking double Borg Sphere + Scout Cube or even double bioship (though 8472 have crap arcs) would work...any advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Weidlich
msg tools
mbmb
Just equip Aft Weapons Array from the Reklar, or the Dorsal Weapons Array from the Koranak on all your ships. Gives you range 1-3 360 degree firing arcs.

As for people getting behind you, you can use the Galor's fire arc to cover each other. Stagger them slightly, so they can watch each others rears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Run 4 30SP or so cardassian ships. The good attack dice and reliable stat line adds up fast. Deploy them a litte more spread out then you would a normal fleet and try to engage at an angle and not straight on for first shots.

16+ dice with good modifiers can do some damage.

Odd thing. If I run one cardassian ship, I use weapons for outside my front arc. If I run the entire fleet that way I never feel the need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Dominion and can get your hands on the fleet captain resource, the independent Federation captain who gives extra maneuvers makes the Jem'Hadar Battleship a total monster. I've had great success with Gul Dukat and Boheeka on that alongside a Jem'Hadar Cruiser with Gelnon and Madred, and the named fighters. You get a ton of actions, throw a ton of modified dice, can potentially knock out another enemy fighter token with just an action, remove a captain, and reposition really quickly with the 1-turn from the captain. I really like flying Cardassians but haven't done it in a while, so not sure. Three of them and the fighters might still do well if you set up smart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sticking with your Cardassian theme, you can always drop one of your larger ships in favor of a fighter squadron. They compensate well for the Cardassians slow turning and allow you to cover their backsides in case someone gets in behind them. Dorsal phaser arrays are another good counter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Estabrook
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
For the Q2 OP I ran Reklar, Koranak, Borgified Galor and a Suurok to keep Q out of my way. Went really well. Dominion has lots of good stuff in faction and works very well in 2x2 (2 ships, whether Cardassian cruisers or JH battle cruiser/battleship, with 2 fighters) or three Cardassian cruisers and one fighter unit. Main thing with Cardassian ships (I love them) is to remember the power of 180 arcs. Go slow to keep targets in front of you, converge fields of fire to not just wear down but eliminate enemy ships before they slip by, and don't always think you need a hard turn to get them back in arc. Even more so than the great Attack dice, Cardassians can beat people with careful maneuvering to maximize value of the 180s.

Mostly I run straight retail, although the Trager (Borgified Galor prize pack) is pretty awesome. You need Reklar because it's one of the best 26 point ships in the game and goes fantastically well with Boheeka. Madred comes in that pack and I love him as an Admiral to just throw a wrench in an opponent's well-planned fleet. Koranak pack has Boheeka and Dukat, and an awesome unique and generic ship. If you decide to run a Keldon with cloaking, you want Gul Evek to make cloaking at least kind of work. He comes in the Koranak pack as well.

Last piece of advice: try to keep to passive buffs with your captains and crew. While you work on maneuvering you may bump somewhat frequently, so not counting on actions, or just always planning them as ship actions (go Reklar's better-than-Battle-Stations awesome action!), will make your fleet stronger.

Really last piece of advice: post back here with questions, ideas, and how things are going for you. There's a lot of wisdom for using Dominion, and Cardassians especially, in this community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually thought that using flanking attack with the fighters could be really good for this, particularly if you've got someone high-skill like Dukat who'll shoot before the fighters lose too many tokens. For a long time the Kraxon was good to put in there, but the Reklar's ability is really good. It's not retail, but if you can get Macet, he's really good. If I were going to do this maybe

Koranak (26) + Dukat (5) + Boheeka (2) = 33
Keldon (24) + Gelnon (3) + Madred (5) = 32
Reklar (26) + Luaran (2) + Breen Aide (0) = 28
Fighters (24) + Flanking Attack (3) = 27

I know it's not in vogue, but the Breen ship's 1 point captain, Sar, is always great for just adding a defense die as well. That ship was a lot of fun to use and I miss it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still a fan of the Breen Cruiser:
Breen Battle Cruiser (24)
Gul Dukat (5)
Gul Madred (5)
Boheeka (2)
Aft Weapons Array (4)
Total (40)

Fleet total: 40

Generated by Space Dock for Android
http://spacedockapp.org

Fly around like a crazy person, the safest place is in front of you.
I used this as my Q2 Q-ship and it worked great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Estabrook
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
PenguinBonaparte wrote:
I've actually thought that using flanking attack with the fighters could be really good for this, particularly if you've got someone high-skill like Dukat who'll shoot before the fighters lose too many tokens. For a long time the Kraxon was good to put in there, but the Reklar's ability is really good. It's not retail, but if you can get Macet, he's really good. If I were going to do this maybe

Koranak (26) + Dukat (5) + Boheeka (2) = 33
Keldon (24) + Gelnon (3) + Madred (5) = 32
Reklar (26) + Luaran (2) + Breen Aide (0) = 28
Fighters (24) + Flanking Attack (3) = 27

I know it's not in vogue, but the Breen ship's 1 point captain, Sar, is always great for just adding a defense die as well. That ship was a lot of fun to use and I miss it.

Penguin, did you mean to reverse Boheeka and Breen Aide? Can't see using a scan action for the Reklar when its printed ability is about 6,000% better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Estabrook
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Anybody getting much mileage out of Gul Lemec? He's kind of a natural fit with Admiral Madred, but I somehow feel like I'm missing something in terms of really tapping Lemec's potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, I was confusing that with the Trager in my head somehow. Forget about the Breen aid and find 2 random points you like then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of anther upgrade, I'd replace Luaran with Gul Evek, whom the Reklar seems like it was made for: two defense and rerolling blanks is decent enough, but what makes it better is that it's got you covered if you roll BSes, which is usually the most infuriating thing about Evek.

As for Gul Lemec, it's tempting to think of him as a crappier retail Gul Macet, but there are a few things he's better at, such as multiple attacks. With the Koranak's ability or Forward Weapons Grid, Lemec gets an extra die against fighters just as they start to get harder to kill (sooner, if you raise his skill). Similarly, with Energy Dissipator, he boosts both the initial attack and the followup. (And it's not retail, but it's worth mentioning that he's the only Dominion captain who can use a Fleet Captain to take Truce for free.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evek is definitely good on the Reklar! He's got a really good skill with limited application in the Dominion, so this is a great use for him. I actually don't care as much for the Breen Aide but was stretching, and this means you don't need a Breen Cruiser at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.