Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Wyeth
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Amazon.de has been mentioned before, but it's worth highlighting the price disparity between .de and .co.uk. I pretty much exclusively purchase my euro games from germany now. Amazon currently sell Marco Polo for 35 euros which is currently about £25 (Half the price of the english version):

Marco Polo on Amazon.de

There's actually a lot of games which are very cheap on amazon.de, many are multi-lingual editions and if not, the rulebook is freely downloadable (as it is for Marco Polo). Stone age is 27 euros (less than £20) and Village, Tobago, Cacao, Orleans, Rococo and the carcassonne games are great deals too.

Delivery is around 6-10 euros and is very quick to the UK- it took my order 3 days to get here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmbmbmb
hughwyeth wrote:
I know Amazon.de has been mentioned before, but it's worth highlighting the price disparity between .de and .co.uk. I pretty much exclusively purchase my euro games from germany now. Amazon currently sell Marco Polo for 35 euros which is currently about £25 (Half the price of the english version):

Marco Polo on Amazon.de

There's actually a lot of games which are very cheap on amazon.de, many are multi-lingual editions and if not, the rulebook is freely downloadable (as it is for Marco Polo). Stone age is 27 euros (less than £20) and Village, Tobago, Cacao, Orleans, Rococo and the carcassonne games are great deals too.

Delivery is around 6-10 euros and is very quick to the UK- it took my order 3 days to get here.

In general I prefer to support UK stores for the sake of a few quid. However this is completely out of stock in the UK at the moment so that, more than the money, makes it a hot deal to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the game board and accessories independent of language/printed in the same version (for example, the places have the same name with the English version)?

I really want to buy this... :s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Wyeth
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esvath wrote:
Are the game board and accessories independent of language/printed in the same version (for example, the places have the same name with the English version)?

I really want to buy this... :s

Yes absolutely. BGG actually has this information on all the board game listings- just look at the Language Dependence entry and that will tell you if the parts are language-independent. Most games are language independent as it mean they don't need to produce multiple versions of the same game components. It's actually pretty rare nowadays to have a game with any text on components, except card games.

You will need to download the rulebook from the Z-man website, which is free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Wyeth
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RandomGraham wrote:

In general I prefer to support UK stores for the sake of a few quid. However this is completely out of stock in the UK at the moment so that, more than the money, makes it a hot deal to me.

As do I, though if it's half the price in germany I won't buy it in the UK! Gameslore and BoardGameGuru are great places to get games usually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a German copy of Marco Polo (imported for me by my FLGS) and the player aids are in German. But if you are printing out the English rules etc then you wont have a problem doing this as well (NB I havent looked so I cant guarantee the player aids have been uploaded in English).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Wyeth
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
startrouble wrote:
I have a German copy of Marco Polo (imported for me by my FLGS) and the player aids are in German. But if you are printing out the English rules etc then you wont have a problem doing this as well (NB I havent looked so I cant guarantee the player aids have been uploaded in English).

This is true, but they are available in english from the files section on this site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jc Janeway
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
just curious, are boardgames that expensive in the UK? i mean this is the normal price i can buy the game for in the netherlands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Best price for Marco Polo online us ~£40 + p&p with RRP of ~£48.

So yes £30 delivered would be a significant saving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Wyeth
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JcJaneway wrote:
just curious, are boardgames that expensive in the UK? i mean this is the normal price i can buy the game for in the netherlands.

Yes they are pretty expensive. For american games (FFG etc) we will pay similar price to EU countries, but for european produced games, we will have to pay 30% more usually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmbmbmb
hughwyeth wrote:
JcJaneway wrote:

Yes they are pretty expensive. For american games (FFG etc) we will pay similar price to EU countries, but for european produced games, we will have to pay 30% more usually.

Usually this is because the games get shipped to the US and then back to the UK to fulfill distribution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
The German version is perfectly playable by people who do not speak the language. Also I haven't even looked at the player aids. You will not need them after a game or two you will remember all of the rules it is not a difficult game.

Enjoy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks OP. I found this thread on Sunday eve. We checked out several games on Monday and had a box arrive from Amazon Germany today, including Marco Polo.

A couple of games we have had on back order with Amazon UK since June. Not only were they cheaper in Germany, but also in stock, so we ordered those and cancelled the UK orders.

Another game we purchased was The Gold Edition of Alhambra for just under 12 euros (now it is just under 11 euros).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Turl
msg tools
mbmbmb
Has someone got the link for the English rules to this? Really want this game but want to know I can play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rohlfo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
funny this should pop up again 2 days after I got it given as a present haha! Have the German version as well, and the game is not language dependent (except for rules).

If you go the the page for the game here on BGG and scroll down to "files", and click on "hot", the first one is the english rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I found the rules on the Z-Man Games site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only thing I wish was in English are the player aids. So I just printed them out and stuck it to two sides of a spare gray board.

Works great.

Also buecher.de has this for the same price but is offering 5/10/15 euros ofif you spend 30/60/90. Get a big order of their cheap games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Lindley
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
flag msg tools
Lych Gate every 2nd Wednesday...
badge
Geek, before it was fashionable...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered, along with Colt Express and Alhambra - cheers Hugh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Wyeth
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sezs wrote:
Thanks OP. I found this thread on Sunday eve. We checked out several games on Monday and had a box arrive from Amazon Germany today, including Marco Polo.

A couple of games we have had on back order with Amazon UK since June. Not only were they cheaper in Germany, but also in stock, so we ordered those and cancelled the UK orders.

Another game we purchased was The Gold Edition of Alhambra for just under 12 euros (now it is just under 11 euros).

Great stuff! Got the same alhambra edition on another order, big box!

cdlftw wrote:
Ordered, along with Colt Express and Alhambra - cheers Hugh!

Good finds! There's a load of stuff on there if you look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.