wakasm wakasm
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
made you look.
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 1:

Elites, if they die, do they lose their elite status?

Question 2:

The very last part of the timed phase - the "End Timed Phase" - does the phase end when this screen comes up? Or is there a timer to it on harder difficulties (only have played the tutorial twice with two groups... but i am never sure when to "cut off' the time for peopel to do their timer actions).

Question 3:

On missions, on spaces that are not a card, can you use weapons that automatically do damage... for instance... if a heavy is assigned to a spot, and there is a weapon that says automatically do 1 damage where the heavy is assigned? (My understanding this is Enemies only... but not sure if these spaces count as enemies or not).

Question 4:

For weapons that automatically do 1 damage, do you still have to roll? For instance, if you use it on an enemy with only 1 hp. If you do, do you roll first, then use the weapon second? Or do you have to use the weapon before seeing your dice roll?

Question 5;

Same for interceptors... powers that let you destroy one ufo when there is an interceptor, do you do this before or after a roll? For instance, let's say I have 1 interceptor, and I roll a red 1 on the very first roll and miss on my blue dice... can I use this power AFTER the roll? Or is the interceptor now dead and it's too late, I had to do it before the roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
1: From the rules under "Elite":

Quote:
If an elite soldier is killed, that soldier loses its elite status.

2: On Tutorial and Easy difficulties, the "End Timed Phase" section is untimed. But on Normal and Hard, it has a timer, yes. The timer is fairly short but includes the "saved" time from every other task that you finished early. So if you had a timed task and you hit Done with 2 seconds left on the clock, that makes the End Timed Phase section have 2 extra seconds left on it.

3: The rules are a little confusing here.

"Enemy tasks" are tasks with an alien card on them (Sectoid, Floater, Thin Man etc).

Every task in Base Defense will be an enemy task. Some tasks on missions will be "enemy tasks" and others won't. Every mission card has three "mission tasks", some of which (the ones with alien cards) are "enemy tasks" as well as being "mission tasks", and some of which (the ones without alien cards) are not.

Each tech is precisely worded to say what it affects. Blaster Launcher, Plasma Sniper and the rest all let you put successes on enemy tasks - i.e. hurt aliens. The only tech that can put automatic successes on the misson spaces which aren't enemy tasks is SHIV.

4: You can choose to use these techs before rolling any dice. If that kills the alien / UFO / finishes the mission task, then you don't need to roll dice. This is very useful in missions and base defence because it means you don't increment the threat die.

5: You can choose to use the tech before rolling dice or after. From the rules under "Tasks":
Quote:
Tech cards can be used before the dice results are applied, but the dice results must still be applied.

In your case then yes, you can use Firestorm to take out the UFO that was assigned to your Interceptor that's about to die, but your Interceptor will still die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
alextfish wrote:

2: On Tutorial and Easy difficulties, the "End Timed Phase" section is untimed. But on Normal and Hard, it has a timer, yes. The timer is fairly short but includes the "saved" time from every other task that you finished early. So if you had a timed task and you hit Done with 2 seconds left on the clock, that makes the End Timed Phase section have 2 extra seconds left on it.

This isn't quite accurate, but it's close enough if you don't want to know what the app does. Exact function below:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
When you complete an event early half the remaining time is added to pause time, limited to 2 seconds per event. At the end of the round you get remaining pause time to be used. If this is under 3 seconds, you get 3 seconds instead. On easy/tutorial there is no pause limit so this doesn't apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alextfish wrote:
4: You can choose to use these techs before rolling any dice. If that kills the alien / UFO / finishes the mission task, then you don't need to roll dice. This is very useful in missions and base defence because it means you don't increment the threat die.

It also means you don't have to handle any other side-effects of rolling - specifically, if you can assign suitable soldiers to a Chryssalid to allow you to get two automatic successes against it, you don't get the additional threat increase from the Implant ability either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.