Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michał
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules for Codenames the other day and immediately I though it is a perfect game for a digital implementation with two screens. It didn't take long before I got to this:

This setup uses two tablets. 27 inch for the field operatives and 10 inch for the spymasters. I only played it once so far (and 2 players only), but for proper play would require a revised word list (currently it uses a list of about 2000 most popular English words which include too many verbs and adjectives, as can be seen on the photo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony C
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa! Very nice.

Unrelated: Who the heck has 27inch tablets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't need to be a tablet I guess, just a computer touch screen.

This is interesting, do they need to be in a network or connected to each other in some other way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dna_Boy wrote:
This is interesting, do they need to be in a network or connected to each other in some other way?

No, they are completely separate. The only thing is that you need to provide the same seed for the random number generator on both devices ("Game#" as seen on the smaller screen). This makes sure that the setup is the same. The only issue is that the spy-masters have to flip the same tiles as it will not happen automatically without a connection. This only informational so for me it wouldn't be worth a significant extra effort in adding such feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Impressive! Have some GG!

What's next with this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you be offering the .apk for download?

Also, if you have the words in a file format that your app can read (for instance comma delimited) and want help filtering for just nouns I'll be happy to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:

Sorry, I cannot do that for copyright reasons.

There is no apk, by the way. It's just a web app. Neither of the devices is even Android. One is iOS an the other Windows 8 (now upgraded to 10).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nutki wrote:
MentatYP wrote:

Sorry, I cannot do that for copyright reasons.

There is no apk, by the way. It's just a web app. Neither of the devices is even Android. One is iOS an the other Windows 8 (now upgraded to 10).

No link to the web app either then? Too bad. Great work, btw. Ingenious way to enjoy the game while waiting for it to actually release to retail!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ives
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Will you be linking to the page at any time, or releasing the source (on github for instance?) at any point?

Just curious as this looks like a great way to play it before actually getting a copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danives wrote:
Will you be linking to the page at any time, or releasing the source (on github for instance?) at any point?

This would be quite unlikely for the time being as this would clearly hurt CGE sales (both physical and future digital).

In the meantime I made some improvements to the graphics and word selection:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojciech Giżyński
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Michał,
thanks for sharing. The webapp looks really good. Where did you get the list of words from? Are these the same words that are present in the original game? Does clicking on the word (on the main screen) mark the card for what it is or rather cycle through all available markers? Do spymasters have the option to rotate the grid on their screen? I need to pay more attention, since I'm asking questions that I can answer myself. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berends
Australia
Waurn Ponds (Geelong)
Vic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I built a simple web version myself using the word list that I found on the forum.
* Randomly creates a board of codes and agents.
* There is a button to show all and hide all agents. (I use a phone to take a picture with agents displayed, this gets used by the spymasters.)
* Players can click on the codes to reveal agents (toggles show/hide).
* Start player is random, but you can just refresh the page to get the start color of your choice.

My baby son demands all my time, so have not yet played a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what are these web versions coded in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When are they hiring you to put out an official release for $3.99?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.