Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Dogs of War» Forums » Variants

Subject: More balance for Lady Macbeth and Captain O'Malley in their abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rafal Glowacki
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
>>> Lady Ordalia Macbeth

As I can see, I am not the first one, who claims that her special ability is very strong. If my companions and I play with 4 players, no one plays her, because anytime we played with 5 players a game turned into "All against Lady O".

So, we have made a homerule:
"Upstage Ability can be used only when number of Lady's Capitains is less about one compering to other player's Capitains" - other words: Lady Ordalia can make a tie when number of her Capitins is one less. (and gets also Bonus Reward)

>>> Captain O'Malley

No one wanted to play him, until we made another homerule:
"If O'Malley wins a battle and he doesn't get a Bonus Reward, he gets 1 extra coin AND 1VP (even if other players get 0VP for winning battle).
If he gets a Bonus Reward, he just gets extra coin only."

What do you think about that changes? In my group it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm unsure what you mean by the proposed change to Lady Macbeth's ability. You say she gets to exercise her ability when she has one less captain than the other players - do you mean all other players on the winning side combined, or something else?

I agree her ability is very powerful. I've only played twice and she won both games with a large points lead over the second placed player both times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Glowacki
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Right. It was imprecise.
I've made some corrections in those sentence.
"Upstage Ability can be used only when number of Lady's Capitains is less about one compering to a player who has highest number of his Capitains" - other words: Lady Ordalia can only make a tie when number of her Capitins is one less. (and gets also Bonus Reward)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkerSide wrote:
Right. It was imprecise.
"Upstage Ability can be used only when number of Lady's Capitains is less about one compering to a player who has highest number of his Capitains" - other words: Lady Ordalia can only make a tie when number of her Capitins is one less. (and gets also Bonus Reward)

I think that is how her ability works in the standard rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Glowacki
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jim Marshall wrote:
DarkerSide wrote:
Right. It was imprecise.

I think that is how her ability works in the standard rules?

No it's not. Rule book p. 20:
During the Battle Outcome phase, when determining who gets the Bonus Reward, the player controlling Lady Ordalia Macbeth is always considered to have one extra Captain in play. This means that if there is a tie, she wins the Bonus Reward alone. If she has one less Captain than the player with the majority, then they both get the Bonus Reward.

My proposition is: Red sentence should be forbidden. Only green part would be her special ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Power
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as O'Malley, I wouldn't make his power any stronger. Having extra coins is pretty huge, and since he gets it for every battle he wins, he can be judicious and see which sides are going to win and try to jump into those. Temporize and Betrayal cards are really, really good for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Freitas
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
honestly i sitll think it's too good as she with minimal effort can get a tie and the bonus reward much easier then any other player. Perhaps with that more people would spread out though i'll have to give it a try her power is definitely too strong unless the entire board works around it all game long.

O malley seems just as good as the other guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blank Francis
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This comment is made with the disclaimer that of course you are free to play your game however you like. If variants make the game more enjoyable for you, have at it!

But I don't think these variants are necessary.

O'Malley's ability is more passive than some, but the chance to gain two or three extra coins per year is very useful. Importantly, it's not hard to trigger his ability, which means you will earn bonus coins for hard-fought victories as well as battles that you've jumped into when they're already as good as won.

Lady MacBeth's ability seems to get called overpowered a lot, but I don't think it's the case. Taken at face value, yes, her ability is one of the strongest, but it comes with a hidden weakness: players will not want to ally with you. This drawback is not always apparent to new players, but anyone who has seen what she can do over a game or two, or even just a few rounds, should be able to recognise that allying with her is a real pain in the butt. This is like the opposite of Stormcrow's ability: players will naturally want to ally with Stormcrow rather than oppose him, because he gives no rewards for defeated captains; likewise, Lady MacBeth will steal (or coattail into) your bonus rewards, so naturally people will want to oppose her.

The user above me complains that players have to "[work] around [her] all game long". Well, of course! Isn't that what you do with Stormcrow, the Nameless Conqueror, in fact every captain in the game? Dogs of War is heavy on interaction, and while some people might complain that the characters are not balanced in a vacuum, thankfully this game is not played in one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
przemek piekarski
Poland
bydgoszcz
flag msg tools
we tested her yesterday
and conclusion is that to cut her OP skill
we used her skill only if she had tie in single battle - then she win bonus reward, but still need to secrefice at least same amount of capitans

went pretty well and guess we will stick with this homerule
try guys, and let know other if this solution worked for you aswell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.