GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,334 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
22 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » News

Subject: GenCon town preview notes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Willy's Taxidermy
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Stuffing Beavers for Over Thirty Years
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to the town preview. Jason Hill previewed:

The drifter (grants grit to the party at start of combat, all monsters get a bonus elite ability though and he levels up slower than the rest of posse, has some supernatural ability to always survive, even when killed he pops back up after mission)

The Orphan(starts with a mission and has a chance to resolve it as a random dice roll, when he does he "grows up" and picks a new class)

The prospector(melee type, starts with a special pick that hits on d8 and does 1d6+1 damage, has "good find" ability that allows him to get +25$ whenever he draws money, has a special canteen that randomly heals sanity or health)

The expanded town content included 3 town layout mats. Small, normal and boom town. The mats contained empty building structures and some tokens that were drawn randomly and placed on the building slots. Some of the new buildings were Smugglers Den (no law allowed), Sheriffs Office (no outlaw allowed) and Street Market(counts as a little of everything, can sell dark stone, gamble, general store...). Since the buildings are random, the camp location will now contain limited versions of any crucial buildings that were missing like docs office, church and saloon.

Jason also demoed the town mission map which contains a few large buildings clustered around an intersection with 4 exits off the map. The mission he demoed was based off the Last Stand mission from city of ancients where mobs would enter at various points off the board and try to kill the townsfolk and players.

- John
35 
 Thumb up
6.75
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anything added to the original town locations?

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update! So exciting!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Irons
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great. Thanks for the updates.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Mara
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic, thanks for the updates!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Ychor wrote:
I went to the town preview. Jason Hill previewed:

The drifter (grants grit to the party at start of combat, all monsters get a bonus elite ability though and he levels up slower than the rest of posse, has some supernatural ability to always survive, even when killed he pops back up after mission)

Doesn't sound all that great of a class, though it is a different take on a class than what we've even produced as variants. The Drifter actually affects the mission as a whole and changes the conditions of the mission, rather than more localized abilities that the rest of the classes have. Otherwise I can imagine the rest of the group groaning when the Drifter comes along as it makes all enemies harder and only the Drifter has a guarantee that he'll survive forever. Is he effectively immortal then?

Ychor wrote:

The expanded town content included 3 town layout mats. Small, normal and boom town. The mats contained empty building structures and some tokens that were drawn randomly and placed on the building slots. Some of the new buildings were Smugglers Den (no law allowed), Sheriffs Office (no outlaw allowed) and Street Market(counts as a little of everything, can sell dark stone, gamble, general store...). Since the buildings are random, the camp location will now contain limited versions of any crucial buildings that were missing like docs office, church and saloon.

Jason also demoed the town mission map which contains a few large buildings clustered around an intersection with 4 exits off the map. The mission he demoed was based off the Last Stand mission from city of ancients where mobs would enter at various points off the board and try to kill the townsfolk and players.

- John

Awesome to hear about that, I'll have to figure out some way of incorporating all of that into HexCrawl at some point. I was on the fence about going with 1.5, hopefully it's not too late to sign up for that one now.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
@paddirn
Concerning the drifter, obviously everybody has different play-styles, but in my group we roleplay the hell out of the game and we wouldn't avoid the drifter just cuz he's apparently "not powerful". A character's effectiveness has never been a factor in my choice of characters (or many of my friends too).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
It's not that he's not powerful, it just seems to increase the difficulty level for the rest of the group without much benefit to anybody else. 1 extra Grit is nice and all, but I don't know if that offsets the extra elite ability that the monsters gain, maybe it does or maybe some groups would be looking for the extra challenge and the slight boost to XP is nice too (though it sounds like the Drifter levels up slower anyways).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget extra elite = extra xp, so its a way to get more xp from missions too. At 3 onwards we find it quite easy so it wouldn't be too bad.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Gutierrez
Spain
flag msg tools
No one else has information about expanded Frontier Town? I want to know more information about the buildings, if there are more objects, maps, missions and enemies.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
It's not that he's not powerful, it just seems to increase the difficulty level for the rest of the group without much benefit to anybody else. 1 extra Grit is nice and all, but I don't know if that offsets the extra elite ability that the monsters gain, maybe it does or maybe some groups would be looking for the extra challenge and the slight boost to XP is nice too (though it sounds like the Drifter levels up slower anyways).


nothing bad with making this game harder.. i have houseruled 3 elements to do so, so missions are fun and fear death.

***
so town expansion is just more characters? or are we getting different towns or someway to affect town locations? thx
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chang_1910 wrote:
paddirn wrote:
It's not that he's not powerful, it just seems to increase the difficulty level for the rest of the group without much benefit to anybody else. 1 extra Grit is nice and all, but I don't know if that offsets the extra elite ability that the monsters gain, maybe it does or maybe some groups would be looking for the extra challenge and the slight boost to XP is nice too (though it sounds like the Drifter levels up slower anyways).


nothing bad with making this game harder.. i have houseruled 3 elements to do so, so missions are fun and fear death.

***
so town expansion is just more characters? or are we getting different towns or someway to affect town locations? thx


The characters are separate from the town and are purchased separately. From the description of the new town maps, it looks like there will be a battle map that can be used to resolve combat in town. Separate from that battle map, there will be the normal town (like what we have already), the boom town, and the bust town. Looks like the only thing we are missing is the rail head (like Abilene) It seems like some towns won't support all the business and when that happens the missing businesses will be represented in the camp. Which is pretty cool and feels a lot like Deadwood and other boom towns, where people set up their shops in tents as the town evolved.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.