Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Lee
Australia
Leichhardt
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi BGG-ers, I just have a question regarding activation of the Diplomat...

The rules state that "The Diplomat allows you to pay 1 influence to place 1 cube on an event card (you gain 1 influence point per cube). If you activate the Diplomat multiple times, you can place the cubes on different Event cards. You must spend all the influence points you want to use before starting to place the cubes".

So, does the number of times you activate the card only determine the number of different Event cards that cubes can be placed on?

For example if I assigned 2 red dice totalling 6 to the Diplomat, this means that I can place cubes on 2 different Event cards.

But I can then spend as many influence points as I like (that I have available to spend) in order to place as many cubes as I like on those 2 Event cards?

This seems overpowered because when I spend the influence to place those cubes on the Event cards, once the cubes are placed I immediately gain the influence back.

Is this correct?

I just want to make sure that I'm playing this correctly because my wife and I are puzzled by it, and this is our favourite game.

Thank you in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Negative. You may still only place as many cubes as the dice allow you to activate the card. In your example, just two. That clause just means you must have the 2 influence prior to placing the cubes, even though you will earn the 2 influence back.

The cubes may be placed on different event cards, but they do not have to be. They can be placed on the same card if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Lee
Australia
Leichhardt
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the quick reply!

We had originally played it this way but tonight when I read the rules I think I was thrown off by this: "If you activate the Diplomat multiple times, you can place the cubes on different Event cards".

This qualifier seemed to suggest that the number of times the card is activated the card only determines how many Event cards you can place cubes on.

I won our game tonight by playing the Diplomat incorrectly so my wife will be happy to know that she actually won!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.