GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,352 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Level 7 [Omega Protocol]» Forums » General

Subject: Worth the money? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am quite interested in Level 7 (Omega Protocol) but in Germany I would have to pay ca. 90,-€ for it.
Is it worth this high price? Is the material and/or the gameplay that outstanding?
I really love Zombicide adn Space Hulk. Is it comparable to either of These games?
What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sands
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how much money that is in comparison to $US or $Cdn, but the game is very unique. I particularly love the way the game utilizes adrenaline as action points for the characters and then transfers the amount of adrenaline used in this manner to the game master for use with the swarm. This mechanism is balanced and makes for very smooth yet challenging game play. With the number of games out there with copycat mechanisms and pasted on themes, I have found that L7 Omega Protocol has stood out.

Hope that helps,

TLS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Pico de Regalados
Vila Verde
flag msg tools
It was expected of me that I gave up my thoughts. At one point their thoughts invaded my mind and I could feel how it reflcted on my behaviour towards others. I didn't agree with myself anymore, so I started hating everybody else.
badge
I didn't know where I was... it was dark, it was cold. I could hear a very faint breathing though, so I started seeking my way through the darkness with just my hands. I would feel sticky things on the walls and I didn't dare touching the ground.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andreas,

That's quite expensive. I think this an amazing game and whilst at first I thought this was going to be awesome serious (as in immersive and tactical played by players with serious faces on them) it turned out to be awesome fun (as in we laughed our asses off with some of the hilarious situations that came up, we literally cried out tears at points, whilst the tactical experience is fully there).

That was a great surprise and I love it, but I think 90EUR is too high a price. Specially considering that the minis aren't the best out there.

I would try and get it cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally feel the gameplay is worth it. As thelegitsandman says, it's very unique and entertaining. It's far better than Zombicide and even though I love Space Hulk, I would put L7OP's gameplay as better.

Having said that, if you look at just the components, you might not feel it's worth the 90 euros. The miniatures are no where near the quality of Space Hulk, and you might feel they're about on par with Zombicide's minis but there are a lot fewer of them. The tiles and other components are good, but again, not on the same level as SH. But that's if you just look at the components.

IMHO, the game is very worth the amount, because the gameplay is soooo good. While the components aren't as good as SH, they're good enough to not distract from the excellent gameplay.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're playing mission 3 of the campaign next Saturday (8.8.) in Munich.
Maybe you want to join and judge by yourself?
PM me if you're interested.

I really like the game, but I don't know if I like it enough to spend 90,- €. Bought it for 60,- € at Essen 2013.
The material itself is not worth the money. The cardboard and cards are average. The minis terrible. Most of them came bent and I needed to spend some time dipping them in boiling water and wait till they stand straight again.

Gameplay is fun. The Adrenalin system, the customizable characters and the synergies between the characters is where the game shines.
We're working on one or two (not more!) houserules to iron out some issues we don't like.

I'm a huge Space Hull fan too, and I'm constantly looking for a modern comparable game. Most of which I tried didn't do it for me and I sold them. L7 is still in my collection...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheapest I found in germany is 72,- €.
Have a look here if you're interested:
http://www.fantasywelt.de/advanced_search_result.php?XTCsid=...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manning
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
...you might feel they're about on par with Zombicide's minis but there are a lot fewer of them.

I love the game, but the minis are definitely sub-Zombicide quality. They are a soft plastic and nearly all of mine had to be straightened before painting, something I never have to do with Zombicide. Can't speak for Space Hulk.

+1 for loving the game. Maybe 50 - 60 euros?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth a decent amount of money imho because it has wonderful mechanics going on. And if you look in the BGG marketplace there are some VERY reasonable offers (including a new copy for 75 Euro)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.