Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use different sleeves for each deck (also different sleeves for plots/agendas and other cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Camp
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
To the best of my knowledge both plots and cards for the draw deck have the same back. I love the look of the card backs so I will probably do clear for the draw deck and a color for the plot deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Malone
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the past, I tried to make each house deck different colors (red for Lannister, white for Stark, etc.), but that becomes expensive and difficult to do as they add more houses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be using opaques.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two further notes:

-Most tournaments require opaque sleeves

-Clear sleeves are often lower quality (eg, penny sleeves) and are meant more for storage than play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Workman
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Zebadiah wrote:
Clear sleeves are often lower quality (eg, penny sleeves) and are meant more for storage than play.

Not sure I'd agree with this. Almost any reputable sleeve company will have clear sleeves. I sleeve a lot of my cards in clear Dragon shields and those sleeves are pretty much flawless. Expensive, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
nex2null wrote:
Zebadiah wrote:
Clear sleeves are often lower quality (eg, penny sleeves) and are meant more for storage than play.

Not sure I'd agree with this. Almost any reputable sleeve company will have clear sleeves. I sleeve a lot of my cards in clear Dragon shields and those sleeves are pretty much flawless. Expensive, though.

You're right, I wasn't clear. I was mostly talking about penny sleeves which are meant more for storage. There are high-quality clear sleeves, but you can't skimp by buying cheap clear sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven F
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zebadiah wrote:

This. You'll at least need a set of opaque if/when you play in a tournament. Had clear sleeves for my first Thrones regional and while the organizers were nice about it (as they knew I'd only been playing two weeks), I was asked to bring opaque backs next time.

The 2nd edition card backs are really nice though and clear look cool! Maybe they will make some opaque sleeves with the card back design? That said, I'll probably still use HBO house sleeves when available faction wise as it helps ensure I don't mix up cards easily and I like the look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Malone
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My hope is that FFG will release new faction-specific card sleeves as they did before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
PopularDumpling wrote:
Zebadiah wrote:

This. You'll at least need a set of opaque if/when you play in a tournament.

Well, not quite. The 1.0 tournament rules say that sleeves are mandatory for the higher level tournaments, but opaque sleeves are only required if the deck contains alternate art cards.

It's true that opaque sleeves are often preferred, but a TO can't really penalize a player for using clear sleeves. There's no basis in the rules for that.

Anyway, I would indeed recommend opaque sleeves for tournament play, whether it's technically required or not.

EDIT: Only talking about officially sanctioned FFG events, of course. Privately organized tournaments can follow different rules, of course, and can indeed require opaque sleeves. In my experience, TOs generally tend to follow the FFG tournament rules, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth the Alt-Art version of A Game of Thrones plot was *extremely* well matched in terms of size, hue, and color saturation. I sleeved my plots in FFG Clear sleeves and you had to look really hard to see it. So, even though the tournament rules will probably keep that clause forever, their Print-on-demand process is really improving.

Probably best to get used to Opaque sleeves, though. Such a shame, since the new card backs are so lovely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwalker wrote:
For what it's worth the Alt-Art version of A Game of Thrones plot was *extremely* well matched in terms of size, hue, and color saturation. I sleeved my plots in FFG Clear sleeves and you had to look really hard to see it. So, even though the tournament rules will probably keep that clause forever, their Print-on-demand process is really improving.

Glad to hear it. The older alt art cards as well as the cards from the draft packs are of significantly different quality and instantly recognizable (hence the opaque sleeve requirement).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Shaw

Central
msg tools
mbmb
Zebadiah wrote:
I use different sleeves for each deck (also different sleeves for plots/agendas and other cards).

@Zeb - so you are using nine different coloured sleeves - is that correct? (one for each of the houses and one more for all the other cards)

If yes, anyone else here doing this? Cost considerations aside, are there any reasons why this might not be a good idea?

Just to clarify, like the OP, I'm new to the game and my 'organisational' tendencies makes this idea quite appealing, but just wondering if it makes sense should I end up buying into the game long term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
aps29 wrote:
Zebadiah wrote:

@Zeb - so you are using nine different coloured sleeves - is that correct? (one for each of the houses and one more for all the other cards)

If yes, anyone else here doing this? Cost considerations aside, are there any reasons why this might not be a good idea?

Just to clarify, like the OP, I'm new to the game and my 'organisational' tendencies makes this idea quite appealing, but just wondering if it makes sense should I end up buying into the game long term.

I wouldn't do that. What happens when you want to move a card from Deck A over to Deck B? You have to unsleeve and resleeve it.

Just use different coloured deck boxes - that's what I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Shaw

Central
msg tools
mbmb
Quote:

I wouldn't do that. What happens when you want to move a card from Deck A over to Deck B? You have to unsleeve and resleeve it.

Just use different coloured deck boxes - that's what I do.

Now. Why didn't I think of this easier and cheaper solution...blush
Very good idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
aps29 wrote:
Zebadiah wrote:

I usually only have a couple decks built at a time. I also play a ton of card games and have plenty of different sleeves for everything. Each main deck has its own sleeves and each plot deck is usually sleeved differently along with the house card and agenda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Shaw

Central
msg tools
mbmb
Zebadiah wrote:
aps29 wrote:
Zebadiah wrote:

I usually only have a couple decks built at a time. I also play a ton of card games and have plenty of different sleeves for everything. Each main deck has its own sleeves and each plot deck is usually sleeved differently along with the house card and agenda.

Hey Zeb - ah, okay! I understand what you mean by different sleeves for different decks now - makes sense. I'm a total newbie to LCGs in general so haven't even got to that stage yet.

GoT is the first game to appeal enough to me to make me want to test the waters (well, theme of ANR appeals more but totally intimidated by the thought of trying to enter that world - don't have enough time for a start!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Entering the Netrunner world doesn't have to be daunting! Love ok fso r a local meetup and see if anyone is willing to teach you the game. We've had several new players in out local meta recently and are always happy to teach more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Shaw

Central
msg tools
mbmb
Skylar114 wrote:
Entering the Netrunner world doesn't have to be daunting! Love ok fso r a local meetup and see if anyone is willing to teach you the game. We've had several new players in out local meta recently and are always happy to teach more!

Thanks for the encouragement! The ANR community is very small where I live, but I should make the effort to connect to see if someone will take pity on me and provide some instruction/advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.