Subject: Suggestions for something similar? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Scholl

St. Paul
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmb
Since we'll likely never see a Colosseum reprint (or not for some time, anyway), does anyone have a suggestion for something similar? While I'd love for there to be official or variant 2-player gameplay, I suppose that's not absolutely necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euro Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cdscholl wrote:
Since we'll likely never see a Colosseum reprint (or not for some time, anyway), does anyone have a suggestion for something similar? While I'd love for there to be official or variant 2-player gameplay, I suppose that's not absolutely necessary.

The Princes of Florence
I don't know much about Princes of Florence, but I know the two games are very similar and comparable. The themes are obviously different, but the game play is as close as you can get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dream Factory (aka Hollywood Blockbuster) has a similar "buy resources at auction to put together a show" flow. It's pretty good, but I ended up getting rid of it because Colosseum is similar enough, and better...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
Portugal
Guimarães
Guimarães
flag msg tools
Changed the outfit.
badge
Hope you didn't get too confused!
mbmbmbmbmb
neverscene wrote:
cdscholl wrote:

The Princes of Florence
I don't know much about Princes of Florence, but I know the two games are very similar and comparable. The themes are obviously different, but the game play is as close as you can get.

Er... no. Not comparable at all. They feel completely different and whatever similarities there might be in the mechanics, the end-effect is that they are two completely different games.

Princes of Florence is a dry as it gets heavy euro game, Colosseum is a super fun, interactive family game. And this is just reducing it's differences to the bare essentials.

The components are and its quality are not remotely comparable.

Whilst I can't think of anything you might want as a surrogate for Colosseum, I can assure you that Princes of Florence is not it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Circus Train (Second edition)

A great game with enough similarities to feel Colosseum-ish and enough differences to make it worthwhile even if you DO get your hands on Colosseum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
neverscene wrote:
cdscholl wrote:

The Princes of Florence

Er... no. Not comparable at all. They feel completely different and whatever similarities there might be in the mechanics, the end-effect is that they are two completely different games.

Princes of Florence is a dry as it gets heavy euro game, Colosseum is a super fun, interactive family game. And this is just reducing it's differences to the bare essentials.

The components are and its quality are not remotely comparable.

Whilst I can't think of anything you might want as a surrogate for Colosseum, I can assure you that Princes of Florence is not it.

Yes... very comparable.

PoF is the heavy euro version of Colosseum, or you could say that Colosseum is the family version of PoF.

I've owned and played both, but sold PoF, since my family prefer that one, and I play more with my family that with my euro gamer friends (who moves to new games all the time in any case).

I've also played City, which uses a mechanics of moving people around in the city, which is somewhat similar to the way the counsellors/senators/Emperor moves in Colosseum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
There will be a reprint.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1412587/colosseums-coming-b...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.