Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Pimentel
United States
Fairfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So my gf and I had played Sushi Go! before, and last night we wanted to play a game, but it was too late to get into Lords of Waterdeep, and trying to teach her Castles of Mad King Ludwig at 12:30 a.m. was a losing proposition when neither of us could brain very well. So I pulled out Sushi Go! for a light filler prior to bed.

We decided to just play the normal rules instead of going with the two-player variant (again, late night, was not trying to confuse each of us before bed). Deal it out, start the game, and remembered how much I love the art in this game.

Game 1: Me GF
Round 1: 22 12
Round 2: 19 16
Round 3: 9 13
Pudding: 3 (6) 2 (-6)
Total: 56 35

I got a Wasabi + Squid right off the top in the first two rounds, and in round 1 had a nice Sashimi combo (she was not really paying too much attention), and round 2 had a fantastic 15 point Dumpling combo (well timed Chopsticks and early picks). I wound up with 3 puddings, taking the extra six points, and handily won that game.

She of course wanted a bit of revenge, and so we decided to go again since that first game took less than 15 minutes.

Game 2: Me GF
Round 1: 12 18
Round 2: 24 23
Round 3: 12 7
Pudding: 4 (6) 2 (-6)
Total: 54 42

She combo'd off a wasabi and squid, then a tempura to solidify round 1, and we both scored huge in round 2, me with a sashimi and 2 tempura combos, her with a sashimi and maki and her own tempura. Round 3 was really sad, no wasabi, no sashimi, some egg and 2 dumplings kept the scores low. In the end, my early planning in rounds 1 and 2 of nabbing any puddings secured me the really close win (tied going into pudding scoring).

All things considered, this is a blast to play. Not too sure I feel like the pudding scoring works too well for two player games, but also not sure how I'd balance it. The 12 point swing is crazy huge. Will be playing this again, and want to try the variants. Can't wait, actually!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought in a 2 player game there was no (-6) points for the person who had less pudding. Only +6 for player with most puddings. Recheck the 2 player rules on that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pimentel
United States
Fairfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
I thought in a 2 player game there was no (-6) points for the person who had less pudding. Only +6 for player with most puddings. Recheck the 2 player rules on that one.

Huh! You are indeed correct. Don't know how we missed that one. That will make the game far more interesting now. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.