Subject: Leyte Gulf rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Curt Sellmer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
One of #8 conference cards (Moscow) has a gray instruction, Leyte Gulf, to place an IJN cube in the SW Pacific Theater. Does this preclude the die roll during the War Phase for the placement of an IJN reserve? I would assume yes because the play note indicates that there is never more than one IJN used at at time.

Also, I'm assuming that if both IJN cubes have been eliminated prior the the 8th conference, that this instruction would be ignored.

Very interesting game. Played ftf a couple of nights ago and we all had a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sellmerfud wrote:
One of #8 conference cards (Moscow) has a gray instruction, Leyte Gulf, to place an IJN cube in the SW Pacific Theater. Does this preclude the die roll during the War Phase for the placement of an IJN reserve? I would assume yes because the play note indicates that there is never more than one IJN used at at time.

Also, I'm assuming that if both IJN cubes have been eliminated prior the the 8th conference, that this instruction would be ignored.

Very interesting game. Played ftf a couple of nights ago and we all had a great time.

All correct!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
IF no IJN is placed (either because of the conference card or because all IJN have been eliminated) do you still remove a naval marker in step 4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
7.64 Step. 4

Roll a six-sided die. On a roll of 1-2, place one Japanese navy
in the theater box of a Front attempting to enter an amphibious
entry space and remove a naval support marker there. If there
is a choice, Central Pacific before Southwest Pacific, before
CBI. On a roll of 3-6, no effect.

Also, is the removal of a naval support marker is in addition to the 1 removed by the IJN?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zolos wrote:
IF no IJN is placed (either because of the conference card or because all IJN have been eliminated) do you still remove a naval marker in step 4?

Why would you remove a navy marker if there is no enemy? You eliminate a naval support marker if a IJN is placed in the theater box, which isn't the case.

Zolos wrote:
Also, is the removal of a naval support marker is in addition to the 1 removed by the IJN?

I'm sure it would say "remove an additional support marker there" if that was what it meant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Benji68 wrote:
Zolos wrote:

Why would you remove a navy marker if there is no enemy? You eliminate a naval support marker if a IJN is placed in the theater box, which isn't the case.

Zolos wrote:

I'm sure it would say "remove an additional support marker there" if that was what it meant.

I was not sure about the "and remove a naval support marker there". Whether it was done in addition to the IJN cube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not entirely sure I understand your follow-up questions, but hopefully this helps:

Only one IJN reserve will sortie per turn, whether due to Conference Card and/or due to Step #4. And whether it sortied due to the Conference Card or due to successfully rolling in Step #4, it can only eliminate a single naval marker per conference. If the IJN sortied because of the Conference Card, another one will not attempt to sortie during step #4 and thus there is no roll. Step #4 is only possible if the IJN has not already sortied.

Does that answer your questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas Taliadoros
Cyprus
Nicosia
Strovolos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
patton1138 wrote:
Not entirely sure I understand your follow-up questions, but hopefully this helps:

Only one IJN reserve will sortie per turn, whether due to Conference Card and/or due to Step #4. And whether it sortied due to the Conference Card or due to successfully rolling in Step #4, it can only eliminate a single naval marker per conference. If the IJN sortied because of the Conference Card, another one will not attempt to sortie during step #4 and thus there is no roll. Step #4 is only possible if the IJN has not already sortied.

Does that answer your questions?

Thank you! It does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
patton1138 wrote:
And whether it sortied due to the Conference Card or due to successfully rolling in Step #4, it can only eliminate a single naval marker per conference.

During the excitement of play, it can be easy for the US player to overlook his naval support markers, thereby preventing a Front from making an advance roll into an amphibious space (if the IJN reduces a track to less-than-three).

I made this mistake in a session last Sunday, and it was a factor in the Americans defeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
patton1138 wrote:
And whether it sortied due to the Conference Card or due to successfully rolling in Step #4, it can only eliminate a single naval marker per conference.

During the excitement of play, it can be easy for the US player to overlook his naval support markers, thereby preventing a Front from making an advance roll into an amphibious space (if the IJN reduces a track to less-than-three).

I made this mistake in a session last Sunday, and it was a factor in the Americans defeat.

Unless pressure elsewhere doesn't afford me the production to do so, I always try to keep 4 naval support on the Pacific tracks for just such a surprise. Note that the SW Pacific is less vulnerable to this since the IJN will only go there if the Central Pacific is already below 3 naval support or per Conference card instructions — both of which will be known before it comes time to allocate production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When placed by the conference card, is step 5 also skipped? IOW, does the conference sortie mean the allies can't shoot back?

Quote:
5. Battle of the Philippine Sea and Leyte Gulf: If the IJN was
placed in priority 4, after the IJN eliminates a naval support
marker, roll a six-sided die; on a roll of 1-4 the Japanese navy
reserve is eliminated, if not it is placed back in Japan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caskey
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct!

Step 4 did not happen (because the Agenda item already deployed the IJN. Step 5 (shooting back die roll) only happens "if the IJN was placed in step 4".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
mcaskey11925 wrote:
Correct!

Step 4 did not happen (because the Agenda item already deployed the IJN. Step 5 (shooting back die roll) only happens "if the IJN was placed in step 4".

Perhaps one way to think of it is if the IJN marker was placed by the action of a conference card it is as if they had enough intelligence ahead of time as to where the Ally fleet would be so as to minimize their losses (and therefore bypass the rolling of the damage dice on Step 5).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I'm missing it in the rules, but do the clarifications in this thread mean that when the IJN sorties due to a Conference Card, one Naval Support is automatically eliminated at that moment (and with no shooting back)?

Also, am I right in thinking that the IJN cubes do NOT count as strength against Front Advancement (i.e. only land forces count)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark R
msg tools
mcaskey11925 wrote:
Correct!

This seems to contradict the reply in this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20421709#20421709
To wit:

MarkHerman wrote:
Kiertscher wrote:
Will you still roll if they get destroyed? We played it that way.

If you are asking do you roll for IJN elimination, yes.

Which is it? Do you roll for IJN elimination if it sorties due to a conference card?

On a related note, when does the sortie occur? When the conference card is revealed or during the War phase?
This matters if there are no naval support markers in the theater in question before production.
My reading of the rules would lean towards the sortie happening on reveal, but this does not match the example of play.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.