GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,483 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: I'm sure it's just pining for the fjords... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the precipitous decline in sales for WizKids was one thing...

Now comes word that Gale Force Nine is taking over the 'Star Trek' boardgame license as of Summer 2016.

Quote:
There are no images of it yet but we’ve had news through that Gale Force Nine are going to be snatching up that Star Trek licence in order to make a new board game series that will launch in the summer of 2016! What a coincidence with the anniversary of the show just around the corner…Some words from Battlefront…

“We are both humbled and excited to add to the legacy of Star Trek,” said John-Paul Brisigotti, CEO of the Battlefront Group. “Building on the great history and depth of Star Trek, the team at Gale Force Nine are creating a compelling game system that will explore all corners of the universe and bring gamers and fans alike into the world of Star Trek like nothing that’s come before.”

You can head on over to the newsletter sign-up page HERE to await more on this project over the coming weeks. - See more at: http://www.beastsofwar.com/star-trek/gale-force-develop-star...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"The" license
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daniels072000 wrote:
Does this mean Attack wing will end?

Dunno, Paramount usually licenses the products out by type, and Attack Wing is unquestionably a 'miniatures' game. Does Paramount license boardgames distinctly from miniature games? Not sure - the list posted earlier doesn't really make that clear. LucasFilm/Disney certainly do, but no idea on Paramount.

Best case scenario for STAW - it just means that WizKids can't publish any more 'boardgames' in the license and STAW remains unaffected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
daniels072000 wrote:
Does this mean Attack wing will end?

Dunno, Paramount usually licenses the products out by type, and Attack Wing is unquestionably a 'miniatures' game. Does Paramount license boardgames distinctly from miniature games? Not sure - the list posted earlier doesn't really make that clear. LucasFilm/Disney certainly do, but no idea on Paramount.

Best case scenario for STAW - it just means that WizKids can't publish any more 'boardgames' in the license and STAW remains unaffected.

Best case for STAW? GF9 does a 2.0 with upgrade pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, makes you wonder if WizKids was rushing STAW so much because they knew license was coming up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Does Paramount license boardgames distinctly from miniature games?

Well, Mayfair published a Star Trek boardgame in 2012, and has another coming out this year, so I think it's safe to say "yes, absolutely."

So maybe the folks on the Star Trek Catan boards should be freaking out that they've missed the chance for an "Outposts and Redshirts" expansion, but there's no reason to think it'll affect Attack Wing in the slightest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Blackwell
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:

I find it interesting that WizKids/NECA isnt listed there at all
Maybe it isn't the most up to date site?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds to me that all this means is that there will be another Star Trek game out there.

Also, its cute that you might actually think that "precipitous decline" part is true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack Wing is a tabletop miniatures game, not a board game. The only thing really in trouble is the future of the Star Trek Fleet Commander game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Losing Fleet Captains would be a real shame. It's one hell of a game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cut_ wrote:
Losing Fleet Captains would be a real shame. It's one hell of a game!

I agree. Although with their current release rate, I'm not sure they would get any more expansions out before the miniatures license runs out, as well...

Besides, with Star Trek: Five-Year Mission coming out this year, panic at this point seems a little late. If WK lost the board game license, they did it a while ago. I suspect they never had a "board game" license, but rather a "miniature game" lincense. Or possibly even a "HeroClix game" license, which IIRC all their Star Trek games claim to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly the rights holders can do whatever they want, but in the past there haven't been two tactical games in license simultaneously. Note that Star Fleet Battles has a unique license based on the Star Fleet Battle Manual I think.

FASA stopped publishing its tactical game when it lost its Star Trek License (and the RPG).

It's going to happen eventually, all we can hope for is that it takes a while longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there are dates written into the contract; we on the forums just don't know what those dates are.

I just hope Paramount is reasonable about keeping licensing schedules stable. From what I understand, Babylon 5 has gone through two cycles of: cheap license, good game sees decent sales, licenser sees money being made, relicense price shoots way up, license isn't renewed, good game dies, lull in B5 gaming until value of license drops again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my god... This is the third or fourth thread I've had to post this in. Sigh....and heeere...weeee...go!

All of Wizkids Star Trek games are branded with the Heroclix label. Even Fleet Captains and Expeditions (which is obviously a boardgame, but the Heroclix stamp means it is licensed as a miniatures game). The news announcement specifically stated GF9 is getting a trek BOARD GAME license.

Much like how Fantasy Flight had to get creative and call Imperial Assault a "tactical miniatures game" to avoid stepping on Hasbros exclusive license to make Star Wars BOARD GAMES, Wizkids is being very careful and specific in branding all their trek stuff as MINIATURES games.

Wizkids has already stated plans for STAW through 2017.

Wizkids has even partnered/co-licensed with GF9 recently to make X-Men: Mutant Revolution, which is an X-Men re themed version of Gf9's Spartacus board game.

I don't think this announcement means ANYTHING in regards to STAW or any other Trek MINIATURES games that Wizkids produces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
Oh my god... This is the third or fourth thread I've had to post this in. Sigh....and heeere...weeee...go!

All of Wizkids Star Trek games are branded with the Heroclix label. Even Fleet Captains and Expeditions (which is obviously a boardgame, but the Heroclix stamp means it is licensed as a miniatures game). The news announcement specifically stated GF9 is getting a trek BOARD GAME license.

Much like how Fantasy Flight had to get creative and call Imperial Assault a "tactical miniatures game" to avoid stepping on Hasbros exclusive license to make Star Wars BOARD GAMES, Wizkids is being very careful and specific in branding all their trek stuff as MINIATURES games.

Wizkids has already stated plans for STAW through 2017.

Wizkids has even partnered/co-licensed with GF9 recently to make X-Men: Mutant Revolution, which is an X-Men re themed version of Gf9's Spartacus board game.

I don't think this announcement means ANYTHING in regards to STAW or any other Trek MINIATURES games that Wizkids produces.

I hereby ask you to stop writing posts like this in this thread. Only doom and gloom is welcome here. We are not interested in positive thinking or facts, only speculation that STAW is about to die. Please stay on topic in your future posts or a new reason for a new STAW is dead thread will have to be conceived.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
...Much like how Fantasy Flight had to get creative and call Imperial Assault a "tactical miniatures game" to avoid stepping on Hasbros exclusive license to make Star Wars BOARD GAMES ...

I recall reading that FFG got into some trouble there and wound up having to pay out some $ to Hasbro. Whether or not that was true - feh

Bwian wrote:
Well, there are dates written into the contract; we on the forums just don't know what those dates are.

I just hope Paramount is reasonable about keeping licensing schedules stable. From what I understand, Babylon 5 has gone through two cycles of: cheap license, good game sees decent sales, licenser sees money being made, relicense price shoots way up, license isn't renewed, good game dies, lull in B5 gaming until value of license drops again.

More is the pity

and to stay on topic...

Oh no, it is doomed, DOOMED!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.