Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
omnicrondelicious
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's begin with the "I got crushed" part and get that out of the way. By crushed, I mean 100% of my board was wiped, and only a couple of his units routed. I don't know what a battlefield of dying lizardmen sounds like for sure, but I imagine it's like a hundred radiator heaters hissing and gurgling. You get to imagine things like this when you lose horribly and are putting your dead troops back onto the shelves in a dim room while a sad piano plays.

For this game we went back down to 1000 points from 1500 points. Most of my minis are 6mm based for Warmaster, and while KoW does work fine with them, it's a bit fiddly. So we switched to my smaller 28mm collection, which limits us to 1000 points.

Lizardmen as The Herd (me)
Tribal Warriors - Horde
Tribal Hunters - Troop w/ Bows
Tribal Hunters - Regiment w/ Bows + Jar of Four winds
Stampede - Horde (a pile o' Stegadons!)
Tribal Chieftan + Flying Hammer
Shaman + Heal(5)

Bretonnians as Kingdoms of Men (opponent)
Spear Phalanx - Regiment
Bowmen - Troop
Bowmen - Regiment + Jar of Four Winds
Knights - Regiment
Knights - Regiment
General
Hero
Army Standard Bearer
Wizard + Heal(2) + Bane-Chant(2)

Short recap:
A pile of impassible boulders in the middle, and a fair bit of forest on the edge of both flanks. My right of Stampede, Hunter Regiment, and Shaman occupy the woods and face-off his knights hoping to force a stalement and cause attrition (partial success). My left of Hunter Troop, Warriors, and Chieftain plunges forward to take out his missile units (succeeded) and individuals (failed).

The combination of difficult terrain, Inspiring, and Heal(5) really did keep the knights in check for 3 turns. However, my opponent brought over his Spears and threatened my Stampede flank. I tried to wipe out a Knight regiment with the Stampede, hoping to pivot after my victory, but was robbed by an Inspiring re-roll. Two turns later my right collapsed. With it, my game - everything quickly converged on my remaining units.

Interestingly, had the game ended after turn 6, my opponent would still have won, but only by a modest amount. It was the "bonus" turn 7 that really murderlized me.

How was it?
Fun! The system is quick to learn, decisions feel intuitive, and the game is fast. This game was a nail biter - several rolls could have gone very differently and there was much cheering and groaning. Most of my opponents units had lots of damage at the end. My saurus horde endured an insane amount of shooting damage trying to close with the bowmen before annihilating them. Nearly didn't make it.

Lessons Learned
- Defensive archery is no joke. Need to have a plan to deal with ranged attacks, like a cavalry unit, or at least a Brew of Haste, or The Fog.
- Outnumbering the opponent is huge during setup. He got to see all my units deployed before placing his key units.
- Even when Hindered, Knights are still bad-asses!

Question
- What's the functional difference between Pathfinder and Strider?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
omnicrondelicious wrote:

Question
- What's the functional difference between Pathfinder and Strider?

My guess would be that units with Strider never suffer the penalty for hindered charges, which would include charging through difficult terrain and over obstacles, such as hedges or walls.

Pathfinder only negates the penalty for charging through difficult terrain, and not obstacles.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your Battle Report! I read on the Mantic forums that games often end with one side being tabled. I have played three short games this last week, and there were certainly decisive moments in all of them. Archery is good if you choose the right targets. (All my small stuff in one game left the tale without achieving anything). But next time, the lizardmen may win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.