Popular Tags: [View All]
Manuel Aguilar
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Turn 1 (Feb II, 1971)

The turn was long with foul weather. Nearly all the action took place in the south. Two regiments from the Viet Cong 1st Division, the 3rd and the 21st, marched forward and launched attacks on LZ Moon and LZ Delta. The ARVN forces responded to these moves by reinforcing LZ Moon with units from the 3rd Brigade, 11th Armored Cavalry Division and LZ Delta with elements of the 1st Armored Brigade. The Communist attack at LZ Moon was contained but the situation at LZ Delta was dire. The ARVN 2nd Battalion/3rd Regiment/1st Division collapsed during a rally attempt which temporally left LZ Delta vacant. The ARVN quickly moved two airborne companies from Aloui by helicopter to the LZ. These two companies barely held on till the tanks arrived and stabilized the defense. The only other fighting that took place was a small NVA attack on LZ Hope in the northwest which did not achieve any results. As the he turn was a long one, the ARVN moved up all their reinforcements and both sides settled into entrenchments and prepared for the next round.

Game Turn 2 (Feb III)

Another long turn but with fair weather this time. Fighting continued in the south around LZ Moon and LZ Delta. ARVN air, artillery, and ground units managed to eliminate a NVA armor company and an anti-aircraft unit. Most of the action in this area consisted of disruptions and rally attempts. In the north the Communists brought in the 36th Regiment / 308th Division. One of its battalions was eliminated during the advance. Nearby, the battle for LZ Hope continued with desultory results. The morale level for the NVA went down a notch due to the losses. This will hurt them in the next turn with rally attempts.

Game Turn 3 (Feb IV)

Medium length turn with foul weather. The Communists definitely got the worse of the luck this turn. They had zero artillery available while the ARVN had plenty. The NVA also could not bring on a regiment that had arrived in the north due to having to spend all their activations trying to repair the damage in the south. The ARVN was finally able to gain some momentum at LZ Moon and LZ Delta. They inflicted more losses on the hapless 1st VC Division. The Communists will probably have to pull back and wait for reinforcements or suffer a catastrophe. The losses included a couple of infantry battalions from the two VC regiments as well as an armored company. These losses further reduced Communist morale to a point where rally attempts will start to become dicey. Elsewhere on the map there was almost no activity. The ARVN is riding sky high but the Reds will get an entire division plus another regiment next turn. They will also get an armored company and several anti-aircraft companies.

Game Turn 4 (Feb V)

Fairly long turn with clear weather. The ARVN decisively defeated the 29th Regiment / 1st VC Division at LZ Delta by eliminating its remaining regiments. The NVA moved in massive reinforcements from the north plus a single regiment from the south. The entire 320th NVA entered along with single regiments from the 304th and 308th Divisions. The NVA defeat at LZ Delta led to a Communist morale drop to a dangerously low level. The ARVN may be in some trouble in the next few turns however. The problem looming on the horizon is that the ARVN may be slightly out of position with a respect to having enough units to lunge for Tchepone before the Communists can get there in force. If the ARVN cannot get there by turn 10 the NVA will win automatically. The race for Tchepone should be interesting.

Game Turn 5 (Feb VI)

Short turn with foul weather. The ARVN made a "come as you are" attack on Tchepone. They had to move quickly before Communist reinforcements arrived. An Airborne company was air lifted to a spot just to the west of the town then moved east to cut it out of supply. An armored company did the same thing from the east side of the town. The turn ended before they could attack. Elsewhere the Communist advanced down Route 921 into attack positions at LZ Hope and Fire Base 31. Further north the NVA temporarily cut the line of supply to LZ Ranger South. The ARVN reacted by moving two airborne companies by helicopter to re-open the supply line. In the end, it was one of the NVA flanking units that was cut off.

Game Turn 6 (Feb VII)

Long Turn with foul weather. ARVN units managed to capture Tchepone while bringing reinforcements up to the Route 9 corridor. When the ARVN captures Tchepone in the game they roll on a variable victory conditions table. In this case the result was that the ARVN would win if they control both Tchepone and Aloui with a line of supply at the end of turn 15. The NVA tried to keep up the pressure all along the north but their attacks failed to gain any momentum. Furthermore, Communist morale dipped even lower due to losses and their inability to rally. They also had worse luck with the card draws. It's getting to make or break time for the NVA. They simply have to inflict some losses on the ARVN to bring their morale up or it will be over soon.

Game Turn 7 (Feb VIII)

Medium length turn with foul weather. Not much change except the NVA increased their morale a bit. They also moved to stretch the ARVN lines in the north. The ARVN consolidated some of their gains and brought in some armor and mechanized infantry reinforcements. Lots of digging in this turn.

Game Turn 8 (Mar I)

Another medium length turn with foul weather. There was a lot of heavy fighting all along the northern line as NVA continued to hammer away at the bases. The problem for the Communists, however, was that they were hampered by their low morale. This led to fewer activations and more difficult rally attempts. They did inflict a few casualties which raised their morale out of the danger zone. Their main attack managed to surround and eliminate part of the ARVN garrison at LZ Hope. In another assault, the NVA caught and killed another airborne company near the Laotian - South Vietnam border. This latter success led to the encirclement and depletion of another ARVN airborne company. The South Vietnamese countered these moves by bringing up a few armored companies. These units shored up the line near LZ Hope and Firebase 31. They also restored the lines of supply to LZ Hope. Despite NVA gains, the ARVN was firmly in control of the objectives at the end of the turn.

Game Turn 9 (Mar II)
Game Over!

Long turn with clear weather. There was fighting all over with the NVA losing ground. The Communists attacked in several places but mainly at LZ Hope in the north. They simply could not string enough consecutive hits to do anything more than disrupt the single airborne company garrisoning the place. The ARVN eliminated another NVA battalion near the LZ and moved up some armor. Other armored companies then moved south to shore up the gap between LZ Moon and LZ Delta. Communist reinforcements moved in to make another attack on LZ Delta but this effort could not gain any momentum before the turn ended. The only other area where there was some activity was in the far northeast where two ARVN airborne companies moved by helicopter to the relief of another surrounded ARVN company near the Vietnamese-Laotian border. They were able to do this because an NVA battalion moved just beyond the range of their anti-aircraft defenses. In the end NVA morale dropped again. At this morale level the NVA had to perform a morale check in which they had a 1/3 chance of failure. [Note that I forgot to perform this morale check at the end of game turn 6.] They failed the roll and were considered to have fled the battlefield. I'm pretty certain that the ARVN lead at this point was insurmountable even if the roll had succeeded.

I probably made a huge mistake for the NVA when I had them launch attacks early on. In retrospect, it probably would have been better to wait for more reinforcements to arrive. My NVA strategy was probably a bit too piecemeal which allowed the ARVN to focus on just a few attacks.

I guess Giap will see to it that I'm enrolled into a re-education camp! On the other hand, my roll as the leader of the "puppets" will probably get me exiled to some obscure post because President Thieu considers me a coup threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good report! I just received my copy and am in the process of mounting the counters. I've never been disappointed with one of Paul's designs and this sounds like it will continue the winning streak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul taylor
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Manuel,
How did you interpret terrain?.
There is a school of thought here that open terrain is all the green and brown terrain, jungle is the Forrest symbol and hilltops are the yellow triangles.
Hilltops in jungle would have a -3 combat modifier.
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice photos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.