Robert S
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or any other Cylon Leaders and their respective Ally cards for that matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Exodus, p.16 wrote:
Note: If an Ally Card is drawn that represents a character who has been chosen by a player, return that Ally Card to the box and keep drawing...

Cylon Leaders are characters chosen by a player as well as any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
digicube wrote:
When it comes to what's allowed and what's not concerning characters (Cylon Leaders and everyone else) vs. Allies, just make sure there aren't any substrings of names contained in the other.

For example Brother Cavil and Cavil aren't allowed (although thematically, they should be), while Boomer and Athena are.

In theory, if Gina was an Ally, then Cap6 would be allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a great variant is "sure!" as would revealed cylons also be allowed

BUT : it would be a variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horatio Q
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another variant that might be interesting: Sure! Play the ally cards exactly as they're drawn, but if a character is currently in play use their character token instead of the ally token. One problem I've noticed with allies is that after not so long you don't meet anyone because they end up being in locations people aren't bothered to visit. This could help to address that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HoratioQ wrote:
Another variant that might be interesting: Sure! Play the ally cards exactly as they're drawn, but if a character is currently in play use their character token instead of the ally token. One problem I've noticed with allies is that after not so long you don't meet anyone because they end up being in locations people aren't bothered to visit. This could help to address that.

Unless you end up with the Brig and Sickbay Allies hanging around, it's always possible for players to encounter an Ally if they want to - out-of-the-way Allies are only a problem if you both avoid encountering Allies unless they happen to be somewhere you want to go anyway, and feel that encountering Allies is something that should happen often.

As for having Allies with the same name as characters in play (or previously executed), the game rules support it just fine - nothing breaks mechanically, any more than it does having Athena and Boomer around at the same time.

There is a minor issue of balance - Allies generally mirror their player-character selves' abilities, so allowing them to both happen means getting two uses of an ability that's (at least in some cases) designed to only be used once per game. Of course, that's nothing that can't happen anyway if a human gets executed and their replacement is a previously encountered Ally, but at least in that situation you pay a Morale for the privilege (and, if playing with Daybreak, you also need to jump through hoops in order to get the replacement character a Miracle token).

And, of course, there's the thematic issue of having a character in two places at once, or encountering themselves...

If you adopt the idea of using the player character rather than an Ally token, then you have the other problem - that the player doesn't control what sort of mood they're in when encountered - again, it's a thematic issue rather than a mechanical one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well, not that I control my mood perfectly anyway. But then again, the player who turns up your character`s card hands YOU a trauma token. When someone encounters you as an ally, then you turn up one of yours (perhaps the one from the person who turned you up).

Edit: only for humans. Cylon leaders and revealed cylons could still be placed on the board, and that player visits with another copy of itself. And others can find two copies of you around, so even easier to meet one of you somewhere.

But much like when Brother John and Cavil meet, you`re kind of sure what your brother is like, and so once again you decide which token to play (remember, the person who turned you up handed you one).

To summarize:

If an ally that is turned up is a current player:
1) Place the ally card so folks can see it.
2) Hand the trauma token that would have gone under the ally token to the player.
3) If the character is currently human, do NOT place the ally token on the board, otherwise do so.

4) If a player ends their movement in the same space as an ally token (as normal) or the same space as the player token of an ally card, then as the player of the encountered ally to reveal one of their trauma tokens (the player of the ally chooses). Use that token with the ally card to determine the effect.

eg: Adama`s card is turned up, and Commmander Adama is currently in the game. The player who would have placed the trauma token under the Adama token instead gives it to Adama`s player. Later, someone else moves to Adama`s location during their movement. Adama reveals any one of his trauma tokens, and the player meeting him checks the results from the Adama card. They then turn up the next ally and place a trauma token with it as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
digicube wrote:

For example Brother Cavil and Cavil aren't allowed (although thematically, they should be), while Boomer and Athena are.

I'm pretty sure thematically the Cavil you are playing is Brother Cavil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JCChrono wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
digicube wrote:

They seemed to be a different mold, like with Athena vs. Boomer even though they're the same model number. Ditto with Cap6 and Gina both being 6s. At least those 2 Cavils didn't really strike me as all that similar. Then again, I've missed plenty of details before.

If nothing else, if they were the same, it would've been nice if they were both called "Cavil", without the Brother in that case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
JCChrono wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
digicube wrote:

They seemed to be a different mold, like with Athena vs. Boomer even though they're the same model number. Ditto with Cap6 and Gina both being 6s. At least those 2 Cavils didn't really strike me as all that similar. Then again, I've missed plenty of details before.

If nothing else, if they were the same, it would've been nice if they were both called "Cavil", without the Brother in that case.

For me, what connects the board game character to Brother Cavil is his defect mainly, since in "The Plan" it seemed Brother Cavil's plan kept falling apart every time a cylon was discovered or ended their infiltration one way or another (e.g. Simon). The OPG also felt sort of parallel to how The Plan showed him doing things all over the ship in very short amounts of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.