Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Workman
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Say I have a spell that I've focused three times and used three times in a round. At the end of the round does one exhaustion token get removed, or three? We've been playing that only one comes off, but I want to make sure.

Also could you cite where in the rulebook it says this as I couldn't find a specific example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
nex2null wrote:
Say I have a spell that I've focused three times and used three times in a round. At the end of the round does one exhaustion token get removed, or three? We've been playing that only one comes off, but I want to make sure.

Also could you cite where in the rulebook it says this as I couldn't find a specific example.

Don't they all come off? You remove 1 exhaustion from each card in play during Recovery (Step 2 of Recovery Phase, Pg. 6).

Ashes Rulebook, Page 6 wrote:
Remove Exhaustion:Remove 1 exhaustion token from each card in play that has 1 or more exhaustion tokens on it.

Each copy of the spell is still a different card even if they don't take up additional spellboard slots (though the glossary doesn't definite "card". ). As you continue to activate them separately, they don't seem to have fused in any particular way.

Edit: less brick of texty, changed terminology to match proper game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 3 cards, you remove one token from each

Page 6

2. Remove Exhaustion: Remove 1 exhaustion token from each card in play that has 1 or more exhaustion tokens on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Workman
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ah, just figured placing the card underneath the other one signified that they behaved as one card, but I guess I was reading too much into it.

Thanks for the insight, some of those cards seem abusive now that I know this. =]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Additional related question - when you exhaust a card it says that it's special abilities go away (I'm simplifying as I don't have the rulebook here). For focused cards does that mean that when you exhaust the first one that the second no longer has the benefit of being focused?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
cschrad1 wrote:
Additional related question - when you exhaust a card it says that it's special abilities go away (I'm simplifying as I don't have the rulebook here). For focused cards does that mean that when you exhaust the first one that the second no longer has the benefit of being focused?

It is implicit in the example that the cards retain their focus abilities. Becoming a spell becomes focused by simply playing multiple copies. Presumably, Focus checks the number of copies rather than the ability text.

Edit: Additonal Info
It's actually made fairly explicit that cards retain their focus: see further posts below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cschrad1 wrote:

No; you still gain Focus abilities even if the other card in the stack is exhausted because the Focus ability on the card you are activating is still focused (if that makes sense). A "focused" spell is merely one that has multiple copies on the spellboard; whether those copies are exhausted or not has nothing to do with whether an unexhausted copy can gain the focus ability. From the example on page 11 of the rules (emphasis mine):

"Player 1 has 2 copies of the ready spell, "Summon Silver Snake" on her spellboard. Therefore, the Focus 1 effect on both of those cards becomes active."

Edit: rules look-ups; gets me ninja-ed every time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good, I've been playing it right then. I agreed it's implied that it should the fact that two or three cards stacked are focused regardless of exhaustion state, but I over thought it due to this and other posts about exhaustion removing abilities. I was worried that maybe I inferred the implication incorrectly for Focus rules

Thanks for the crazy-fast responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Upon reading the section again, I found that it's actually (oddly) explicitly stated in the second paragraph of the focus section:

Ashes Rulebook, pg.11 wrote:
Some ready spells have effects that say Focus 1 or Focus 2. A spell’s Focus 1 effect becomes active when the spell has been focused once (meaning you have 2 copies of that spell on your spellboard). A spell’s Focus 2 effect becomes active when the spell has been focused twice (meaning you have 3 copies of that spell on your spellboard).

This isn't Magic, so italics aren't necessarily indicative of reminder text, but if it is, in the future, it may be possible to focus up past 2 if they add in spell recursion. This is because a spell is focused each time you play a copy of it when there's already a copy in play:

Quote:
When a player puts a ready spell into play on a spellboard, if there are already 1 or more copies of that ready spell on that spellboard, then the spell becomes focused.

There's nothing that states a spell becomes unfocused when you lose the additional copies: it's just something that is true after you play a card with at least one copy sitting on your spellboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.