Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amidst all the other announcements in today's presentation, FFG's CEO made a few interesting comments regarding Episode VII. Specifically, he said flat-out that they have Episode VII stuff 'on the water', he just 'can't talk about it quite yet'.

And that all the Wave 8 and second Imperial 'huge' ship releases...'may' be early 2016...but there is something 'important going on at the factory he can't talk about quite yet' that is causing delay with the X-Wing line.

Finally, FFG has updated their product SKUs on their site, with some... interesting omissions.

Quote:
SWX35: Imperial Assault Carrier
SWX36: ........?
SWX37: ........?
SWX38: ........?
SWX39: Ghost
SWX40: Inquisitor's TIE
SWX41: Mist Hunter
SWX42: Punishing One

Whaddaya think? Some kind of 'Most Wanted'- type pack bringing us a T-70 X-Wing with a pair of new TIE Fighters, as well as a standalone retail kit for each?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not be surprised if they do an updated core set with a Force Awakens X-Wing and pair of TIE fighters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Evans
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess would be Epic Rebel (or possibly first Epic Scum) ship and two regular Scum ships.

Edited for spelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Devon Greatwolf wrote:
My guess would be Epic Rebel (or possibly first Epic Scum) ship and two regular Scum ships.

Edited for spelling.

I'd guess... no. Why wouldn't they be able to announce those, now?

The new ships are definitely Episode VII, as their space in the product lineup puts them BEFORE the Wave 8 items announced today and arriving in Q1 2016, but FFG can't presently talk about them.

(If you didn't know, there is currently an information embargo on Episode VII merchandise until September 4 - although larger companies do seem to be able to let the occasional thing slip, I am *sure* FFG is not big enough to get away with that)
robbbbbb wrote:
I would not be surprised if they do an updated core set with a Force Awakens X-Wing and pair of TIE fighters.

Seems pretty unlikely it would be anything that major with the product codes just slotted in alongside all of the others like that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has to be the X-Wing fix right? Man but 3 sku's... hmmm I would learn towards 1 of each ship but that just seems insane!

Aug/Sept Imp Raider

Oct-ish Wave 7

Nov/Dec Episode 7 stuff

Dec/Jan New Cruiser

Jan-Feb Wave 8

Man talk about expensive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Evanger
United States
Robbinsdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Check out the complete line of IPG games at www.interactionpoint.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My guesses as to what we'll see:

SWX36 T-70 X-wing (including pilot Poe Dameron)
SWX37 First Order TIE Fighter
SWX38 New Falcon (including flat dish, Rey, BB-8, and all the new crew, etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cody duffin
msg tools
Maybe there were 3 ships that got cut out during pre-production?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evanger wrote:

I sort of hope it's not another Falcon model, entirely. I mean...uggh. They do need to get the new pilots out, so a new dial/pilot card/base tile is needed... but I can't imagine they'd give us a whole new mini just for the square dish... would they?

My guess?

SW36 - 'Force Awakens' pack (like 'Most Wanted' - brings us the T-70 X-Wing and 2x First Order TIE Fighter repaints, along with a base tile/pilot cards for the Falcon's new pilots and BB-8 and such)
SW37 - Standalone T-70 retail kit
SW38 - Standalone First Order TIE Fighter repaint retail kit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping they are new aces packs with the Episode 7 paint jobs. Like one with 2 X-wings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Munoz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible they bring the battle to the planet surface!!??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Evanger
United States
Robbinsdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Check out the complete line of IPG games at www.interactionpoint.com
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
evanger wrote:

I sort of hope it's not another Falcon model, entirely. I mean...uggh. They do need to get the new pilots out, so a new dial/pilot card/base tile is needed... but I can't imagine they'd give us a whole new mini just for the square dish... would they?

My guess?

SW36 - 'Force Awakens' pack (like 'Most Wanted' - brings us the T-70 X-Wing and 2x First Order TIE Fighter repaints, along with a base tile/pilot cards for the Falcon's new pilots and BB-8 and such)
SW37 - Standalone T-70 retail kit
SW38 - Standalone First Order TIE Fighter repaint retail kit

Your idea sounds better, of course.

I do not need another Falcon, but I do need all those juicy new crew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever it ends up being, all I know is my wallet just got a spending embargo on anything that isn't x-wing related until the end of the year. I'm pretty sure that's the only way I'll be able to afford all this new stuff.

Also, looks like it's time to break out this old chestnut:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Marky
Hungary
Budaörs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the only one who is, little bit concerned, with the way where X-Wing is heading? Ships from the series Rebels, ships from ep.VII. X-Wing shouldn't be a game about the classical trilogy? The timeline/era will be confused. As it is, next time we'll get some clone wars ship... From the beginning, the spice for me was that it has been a game about the original trilogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skunk21 wrote:
I am the only one who is, little bit concerned, with the way where X-Wing is heading? Ships from the series Rebels, ships from ep.VII. X-Wing shouldn't be a game about the classical trilogy? The timeline/era will be confused. As it is, next time we'll get some clone wars ship... From the beginning, the spice for me was that it has been a game about the original trilogy.

You realize like half of the pilot names have been EU from the start?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Marky
Hungary
Budaörs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWaspinator wrote:
skunk21 wrote:

Yes I do, and It's OK, but the problem here is the huge gap in in the story's timeline. Just imagine The Inquistor fighting Poe Dameron from ep.VII. or little Ezra the new TIE starfighters, at least weird...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
skunk21 wrote:
TheWaspinator wrote:
skunk21 wrote:

Yes I do, and It's OK, but the problem here is the huge gap in in the story's timeline. Just imagine The Inquistor fighting Poe Dameron from ep.VII. or little Ezra the new TIE starfighters, at least weird...

Z-95, Y-wing, YT-1300 exist long before the prequel. A few pilots, notably one of the Imperial Shuttle's, are from the prequel. As for the gap, lot's of the X-wing pilot were dead during the Battle of Yavin, while others are only active during later year, so I don't see any problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm ok with them doing something other than letting the game die. If we try to limit the time period then we limit the possible ships. So goes the problem with any big IP based game. I'd rather see this game keep going even if it means going into some pretty obscure stuff.

Simply put, if you only want the classic ships, don't buy the new ones. If you're going to be in the tournament scene, accept that you'll see the new ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To you guys who are concerned about that stuff, or only buy OT ships: shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N/A
Iceland
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disgustipater wrote:
To you guys who are concerned about that stuff, or only buy OT ships: shake

Don't knock my game, I won't knock yours. How's that sound?

It's a big enough playground for everybody.

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also - there is a possibility there will be some sort of ERA marking on the cards.

Or, since it is no longer the "Rebellion" and "Empire", it could be introduced as 2 new factions with a new core style set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My hang up is that ships from later eras should be so much better than the earlier ships that they will be made obsolete. Of course this can (and will hopefully) be managed by point costs etc.

I also am an old fart who doesn't want to see Wedge, Luke, members of Rouge Squadron (etc.) become completely unfit to fly against the new upstarts and their fancier birds. That's a personal hangup of course - and one I hope is mitigated in the game so the power creep is kept to a minimum. It's just tough to stay true to the power/abilities of some of these more impressive modern variants while not moth-balling the classics.

That said - if they can toe that line then I for one welcome our new Episode VII overlords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really think there is power creep in x-wing. The reason the actual x-wing aren't that competitive has more to do with that they hadn't figured out the balance yet. And I think it's very likely that the speculated "x-wing fix" will come with the episode 7 stuff, and that'll bring Luke, Wedge and the rest back into the fold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck, maybe we will see Wedge as a pilot in one of the new updated birds. That would make me simultaneously fill with joy and indignation. Too bad Denis Lawson wants no part of the new movies... still holding out hope for Lando

Let's hope his personal reasons are his own and no prescient reflection on the end product...

(please be good.... please be good.... yes I'll settle for good.... please)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Masterhit wrote:
My hang up is that ships from later eras should be so much better than the earlier ships that they will be made obsolete. Of course this can (and will hopefully) be managed by point costs etc.

I also am an old fart who doesn't want to see Wedge, Luke, members of Rouge Squadron (etc.) become completely unfit to fly against the new upstarts and their fancier birds. That's a personal hangup of course - and one I hope is mitigated in the game so the power creep is kept to a minimum. It's just tough to stay true to the power/abilities of some of these more impressive modern variants while not moth-balling the classics.

That said - if they can toe that line then I for one welcome our new Episode VII overlords.

The galactic civilization in Star Wars has existed for millennia. The technological advancement of a couple decades doesn't really matter. The reason an X-Wing outperforms a Z-95 for example isn't so much that the X-Wing uses more advanced technologies as that the Z-95 has been rusting in the corner of some starship hangar for decades, or worse been flying constantly and seeing serious wear and tear.

This doesn't mean that ship design would stay permanently static: even if what you can build a starfighter to do doesn't change, the doctrines governing what you'd want to build a starfighter to do might. A metagame, you could call it. Older ships aren't obsolete so much as poorly adapted to the current demands of space combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Truly authentic X-Wing players only recreate the battles from the movies. (Pre-Disney, some weaker souls allowed EU-based scenarios.) You would think this would decrease replayability, but they have to restart games every time dice rolls and crits don't match the films.

Personally, I find Biggs a bit over-powered when you merely play that nobody who died after him in the movies can die before him in the game. This is particularly troublesome during X-Wing campaigns where he hasn't appeared in any of the games yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.