Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
make a good game then worry about the ergonomics, then about the packaging, then about the costs. They are all important but don't compromise a good game. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you could always sell the different card/sector types in an expansion (or many expansions)! whistle

But I agree with the prior poster... make sure you have designed and developed the best game you can before focusing on production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the previous posters - the choice should not at this time be based on art or production considerations - think about how the game works first.

Do the completely different sectors affect gameplay? Are they all unique with unique rules or points or other parts that need to be balanced against each other?

At the start, I'd say to make sure the four sectors work, copied multiple times, and then expand from there.

Ideally 24 unique sectors would be good for varying the game, perhaps even making it more replayable, but at this point it basically comes down to playtesting and making sure each sector works with the others the way you want them to in your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you have the playtesting at a stage where you have a good idea of how the game is going to work then you can start tweaking those extra ideas that you have. You may discover the extra sectors adds little to the game but there again you may find them a real bonus and even lead to other ideas. I have on occasion playtested a game and taken the liberty of trying something new, only to discover some small idea which was later used in the game where the actual route of getting there was not used.
You won't really know what components you need until all the playtesting has been done. Not the first time I thought a game was going to work when after playtesting I realised it didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Poon
msg tools
mbmb
That's the benefit of playtesting. You'll find out what ideas are truly good. And it's far better to find out what changes are necessary early instead of after you've gotten 1000 copies made and then none of them sell because some mechanic is broken or simply not fun. Keep it up.
One word of advice, don't drop something you feel is crucial to the game just from one bad playtest. Ask your players why they felt it is bad. They might even come up with good solutions for you as they've had first hand experience as to why they didn't like it. Of course if something is obviously bad or broken, that can be changed after one play test like if a player found a loop hole in the rules and easily exploited it to win. Sometimes a loop hole can be made into a very interesting strategy if it is extremely risky to do and very hard to exploit. At that point it is more of a strategy than a loop hole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.