GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,019 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Mark Morehouse
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm hoping other board game fans may remember this newspaper supplement and help me narrow my search.

I was randomly browsing through the Google historic newspaper archives looking at old comic strips (another of my obsessions) and I stumbled onto a kids newspaper supplement (similar to the MIni Page, Kid Scoop, or Tiny Times) I had never heard of before. This particular issue I found happened to include a board game. It seems like it normally featured different kinds of puzzles, games and crafts for kids.

I took a screenshot of the board game for later, but now I can't find where I put it. And I can't remember the name or date of the newspaper I found it in.

I do know the supplement had a cartoon mascot that was an alligator and the board game featured him. And I think the name of the supplement was either Jellybean something (possibly Jellybean Journal) or Bubblegum something (maybe Bubblegum Bulletin). I remember thinking why not call it the Gator Gazette since the mascot seemed to have nothing to do with the title.

I'm also pretty sure it was a Sunday paper and I think it may have been from the 1980s to 90s, but definitely not before 1970.

Doe this supplement happen to ring a bell with anyone and if you remember it, do you happen to remember what newspaper you saw it in and maybe help me narrow the time frame a bit more?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
The best-known "Jelly Bean Journal" seems to have been the one appearing in the Louisville Times in the 1970s (there was even a book collecting some of them)[*]. However, Google doesn't appear to have that paper archived so unless they also licensed it to some other paper that isn't it.

The only section with a title anything like that I can find in the Google archives is from a tiny paper in Iowa and it doesn't seem to have had a mascot.

[*]Written by a Pulitzer-Prize-winning playwright, no less, although she won the Pulitzer later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Morehouse
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Thanks very much! Is that Iowa paper the Centerville Iowegian? That might be it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
No, The Daily Reporter from Spencer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.